Real Wood Textures (by LucidAPs)

TechAngel85

I don't think I would be willing to put up with all those splinters to be honest. Riverwood for example, has a lumberyard... Why you no replace the wood with something that won't take your fingers off?

Dogecoin?

Pfft... Everyone knows Skyrim has unlimited log piles, and since you can't sabotage mills (Todd!) what is the real problem? Cough up!

I distinctly remember thinking these looked rather off to me when I tested them out months ago. Don't exactly remember what it was but I think it was one of those cases where they looked perhaps too realistic for a fantasy game and didn't really fit in. But, I believe in second chances.  :;):

I actually use this in a mix with AMB (After a good little GIMP session to convert a few tidbits and normal maps here and there). These textures are really nice, but again the high degree of photo realism is not really a good thing when placed next to something that is not! 

What I really liked about them was that they managed to hide the repetition of the texture quite well.. as well as having a weathered look! 

Living in a rural area myself, seeing farms with abandoned out-houses and such makes this totally off for me. Usually the wood looks like vanilla, abeit sometimes amazingly covered in mud. The weathering certainly looks nowhere like this at all. This would probably fit more in a jungle game like Far Cry to be honest. Needs much sandpaper!

Guess weathered is the wrong word... my main thing is that most wood in skyrim is pine wood... and somehow I prefer to have a barky look on the houses rather then the polished worked wood. It just makes the wooden huts feel more like isolated and frontier like places. That construction style is also used in the real world for cabins and such. 

I suppose it makes sense for a place without a lumber mill to leave it unpolished, but I would only think to see that in Skyrim in more secluded standalone buildings. Let's not forget these mills would provide a lot of timber elsewhere to. I'm sure the designers did their research here.