Solitude HD Gate by Nightshade

rootsrat

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49829/?

This is a little gem I've found, totally forgot to post it! Simple retexture.

There are 1K and 2K versions available. 1K is sufficient, the difference isn't worth the 2K texture weight, although it's only a single door, so perhaps it doesn't matter that much :)

I think that from a distance this mod looks slightly better, but SRO is ok. But from up close this mod wins it all. It does deviate from vanilla in style.

Compares:

SRO (Currently in STEP)  >>  This mod 1K  >>  This mod 2K

Posted Image  >>  Posted Image  >>  Posted Image

Posted Image  >>  Posted Image  >>  Posted Image

hoooo!!! I was searching for a good retexture of that damn door since... forever!

SRO is also 2K but from close it looks like a bad upscale version of vanilla, is just very pixeled. This door is huge and the bad quality is very noticeable in game (you also can open the sdoorgate01.dds file and scale it to 100% to see what I mean).

The only problem for STEP is that indeed it does deviate from vanilla in style.

I'll throw in a thumbs up for this one too.  I have been using it since it came out and I like it.  I don't understand why none of the high res packs out there bothered to do anything with the strange looking vanilla door here.  Every time I opened that door in Solitude I would cringe at how ugly it was...it looked like it was supposed to have some kind of depth to it and a metal texture, but it sure didn't.

This mod is a simple fix for what I see as an overlooked ugly vanilla texture.

Why would a city made of stone have a wooden gate as the front entrance?

and why not? RL castles had wooden doors... just search google images or see a mediaeval movie and you will find numerous examples

vanilla doors are the non realistic ones IMHO

Gate of Tiverton Castle (UK)

Posted Image

Whiterun has stone walls and a wooden door. I can't really tell what windhelm is made of but it look's at least partially wood to me. I don't think it's impractical for solitude to have one as well. I think it's a nice replacement, I will likely try it out

The screens don't show that well, but the SRO SOlitude gate up close looks horrible. This mod is a massive improvement to me, personally - and I would encourage you to just load it up and see the diff by yourself.

To each his own though, as usual in such cases :)

After spending so much time testing all the Solitude mods out there, I'd really welcome a nice texture for its door. Honestly, it looks like s*** whenever you're less than 10 meters away from it.

Mod Edit: Through I also feel the same way, try not to use strong expletives on the site. - WilliamImm

Well this is one of those retextures which I think is better but requires some time to get used to. First time I saw it, I disliked it - probably ebcause it looked so different. After seeing it multiple times, it became more acceptable and eventually better than the original. Nice find :)