Improved Staff Uses by jstevoj

rootsrat

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50677/?

The author's explanation of this mod is spot on, so I'll just copy n paste:

In stock Skyrim staves are weak, the good ones do decent damage, however they run out of uses after killing just a few enemies, in the past you would have to stop all combat and recharge your staff with a soul gem, this is annoying and immersion breaking. Plus in stock Skyrim its not rare for a common or sometimes even a lessor soul gem to provide more "enchant" than what the staff actually holds, this is inefficient.

And that's where this mod makes a difference, by increasing the "enchant" a staff holds you increase the total number of possible uses, so you can last longer in every combat scenario. To completely fill a staff you would now require more soul gem "enchant" (because it holds more); but you wont have to recharge as often.

I've just found this mod and did not try it yet, but it makes sense to me. I don't think it's changing the game at all, just takes different (better IMO) approach to staffs (or staves, now FIGHT!). I think it can be treated as a fix of sorts.

I've always felt that one of the ways that TES games nerf magic users is not having staves that can hold high level enchantments and still act as two handed blunt weapons that are effective in melee fighting. This mod allows using the magic from a staff longer; perhaps in the future it will also make a staff a useful blunt weapon.

I thought staves in the vanilla game scaled with your level in the corresponding school of magic... Yeah I've never used one, is it that obvious? :p

The "cost" of use decreases as your skill in relevant magic school increases. Basically they are a way of delivering spells without using magicka.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would love to see a mod (shame I don't have the know-how to pull it off) that makes magic staves blunt weapons by default (melee/block functions) but when equipped add their "staff spell" to the player's magic menu. Then I can choose which combination of functions I desire at any given time; attack & cast, cast & block (what I'm really interested in if playing a mage). Not sure how to address npc use (what two functions to use by default?). Anyway, the idea gives me serious wood.

Back on topic, Improved Staff Use seems to be an amplification of the vanilla system that reduces staff usage cost by relevant magic skill. A crutch, if you will.