OBSE will not load when launching with MO

DiscipleDarkfriend

Question

Hello all you wonderful people :)

I am hoping that someone may know what is causing the issue I am having. When I launch Oblivion steam goty edition OBSE does not load and my mods just spam me with you need OBSE, If I launch the game standard through steam OBSE works fine.

In game community is on in steam but does not show in game, I have tried changing load mechanisms as well still no help >.< I can't run Oblivion though MO atm and would really like to get to the bottom of this. Please and Thank you in advance

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i have no idea. im having problems using MO with oblivion too. I just keep crashing. I launch oblivion.exe or oblivion launcher.exe from MO, i then start the game from the splash screen/launcher that appears, and it loads the main menu for about 1 second then CTD.

As far as OBSE.. i have no idea. surely we arent the only people trying to use MO for TES4, since MO is "approved" for TES4... hopefully someone will chime in. I havent played oblivion for so long, and this frustration isnt helping. maybe ill stick with WryeBash like i am used to.

I posted this in the other MO/Oblivion thread, but will re-post it here in case it will help:

I have experienced the same issue of OBSE not being recognized when using MO. What I found is that I have to set MO as a script extender.

Under Settings - Workarounds - Load Mechanism, select script extender.

For me at least this has resolved my issues. OBSE and my MO list is recognized.

I would love to hear how others are getting around this issue.

I posted this in the other MO/Oblivion thread, but will re-post it here in case it will help:

I have experienced the same issue of OBSE not being recognized when using MO. What I found is that I have to set MO as a script extender.

Under Settings - Workarounds - Load Mechanism, select script extender.

For me at least this has resolved my issues. OBSE and my MO list is recognized.

I would love to hear how others are getting around this issue.

I have tried both settings to no avail, going to keep at it and see what I can do, perhaps admin rights are not correct somewhere >.<

Sorry it's not working for you. I am not sure what else to suggest. I came across my solution through google and some old MO threads. 

All I can say is that I added OBSE to Oblivion as normal and added everything else through MO. Once I switched the setting in MO, suddenly everything worked.

I have started testing with Oblivion, and must say that I've been experiencing some of the same trouble michaelw. I had to erase and redo my oblivion ini files to get it to work again. Don't know what I touched, but that fixed it somehow. Now if I can merely load up the Unofficial Patches without CTD I'll be okay.

I have noticed that skse plugins do not work (e.g., Fast Exit), so I have switched the load mechanism to skse in workarounds and installing all skse plugins to actual data folder.

Edit:

Went on an esp witch hunt for the source of my CTDs and discovered, of all things, that my knights.esp from the Knights of the Nine DLC must have gone bad somehow. Maybe I cleaned it wrong or something. Fixed that one and now no CTD.

yeah i completely gave up on it. In the past, I only used WryeBash. Then, when Skyrim came out, I kept using WryeBash (for both games). Then, I eventually switched to MO for Skyrim due to mod testing for STEP, bc of the profiles feature and clean data directory, etc. I took a break from Oblivion for about a year and just started (trying) to get back into it. Naturally, after using MO for many months and becoming very proficient and also dependent on some of its rich features, I was reluctant to revert to WryeBash as my main manager again. Thus, I tried to use MO primarily, then use WB for bashed patch only. However, after a few days of aggrevation, i reverted completely back to WryeBash. Aside from the problems I spoke about above, I could not get OBSE to launch/initialize. I tried debugging and reading logs, but no dice. I said 'eff' it and gave up.

cant use oblivion without obse.. unacceptable

After many hours of tinkering, I have found a way to run Oblivion with OBSE from MO. I have tested this with OBSE tester and it reports that OBES in working properly.

Here is the things you have to do:

• In MO go to settings, workarounds and set the load mechanism to Script Extender. Click Ok to exit.
  • Next start the Modify executables dialog to create a new executable.
  • Give the executable a title. I called mime Steam.
  • In the Binary box navigate to where you have steam installed. In my case it is D:\Steam\Steam.exe.
  • In the arguments box add the following argument -applaunch 22330. Click add and Ok.
  • In the selector next to run select your new executable and press run. The configuration panel will open up. Click play and enjoy.
The mods installed through MO do not appear in the Data files section.

I have only done limited testing with the above mod. Darnified UI appears to be working also.

post-2019-1393481849141_thumb.png

After reading a post by Tannin here and here and a few others, my thoughts were that by setting the load mechanism to script extender, you are making the entire MO VFS directory an SKSE plugin. There wasn't enough information on how to run the game with MO mods other than starting the game through Steam.

As I know that MO is viral, it hooks other apps launched through it, I wanted to find a way to launch Steam through MO and started to try different things without any success. I ended up doing a search for “steam command line options†and ended up on this page where they outline command line options for Steam. Under the usage section there is a line that gives the format for running Steam with a command line. It is path to steam.exe -applaunch appid.

The rest was easy. Create the MO executable to Steam, give the argument -applaunch appid. 22330 is the steam app Id for Oblivion.

I don't have a modded Oblivion right now. I only bought it to try it through MO and try to answer questions about their interaction together. Anyone trying this please report back with your experiences so we can grow this database.  

Right, from the limited testing I did, that way uses the ini file in my games, Oblivion. The Steam executable method uses the ini in the active profile and allows profile switching.

Edit: I forgot to mention that launching steam from MO will keep the vanilla data directory clean. You can install all mods with MO.

It seems that OBSE doesn't work both with steam and non-steam oblivion versions :(

Did anyone try to post it to the bug tracker?

It's quite ugly having to setup OBSE plugins to the game folder :\

I'd rather go with Wrye Bash in this case, cause moving files myself is not something I expect when using a mod manager...

Hi, maybe you missed post 8 in this thread where I presented a workaround for the Steam version of Oblivion / OBSE issue. It provides a way to launch the game through MO without installing anything to the vanilla directory.

If you did use that information, then can you share your experience with us so that we can troubleshoot more.

To my understanding, the following has to be done for the non Steam version of Oblivion . I do not have a non Steam version to test.

In MO go to settings, workarounds and set the load mechanism to Script Extender. Click OK to exit and exit MO.

OBSE mods must be installed in the vanilla game directory.

Other mods can be installed via MO.

The game must be launched external to MO.

MO will then run as an OBSE plugin and provide the VFS.

This is my assumption and may be wrong, if so please tell me.

In MO go to settings, workarounds and set the load mechanism to Script Extender. Click OK to exit and exit MO.

OBSE mods must be installed in the vanilla game directory.

Other mods can be installed via MO.

The game must be launched external to MO.

MO will then run as an OBSE plugin and provide the VFS.

That's exactly what I did. The thing that frustrates me is that I must install OBSE mods to the game folder directly. It may be a bug in the MO's OBSE plugin (hook.dll) - so I'm asking if someone tried posting it to the bug tracker