Mod Organizer (by Tannin42)

z929669

Question

122 answers to this question

Really useful information I will be doing this later. Just out of curiosity (as a knowledgeable person is about) I have 0.99.6 installed and it runs great but the error triangle is telling that a) I have files in my overwrite folder and b) I do not have Python installed.

Is this supposed to be the case / if not how do i fix?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this as it is annoying - I will check the MO boards if I can't find an easy solution (like something I missed in the read-me)

:)

Really useful information I will be doing this later. Just out of curiosity (as a knowledgeable person is about) I have 0.99.6 installed and it runs great but the error triangle is telling that a) I have files in my overwrite folder and b) I do not have Python installed.

Is this supposed to be the case / if not how do i fix?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this as it is annoying - I will check the MO boards if I can't find an easy solution (like something I missed in the read-me)

For starters, did think this forum was less 'lively' as it turned out to be.

Overwrite directory: A mod is installed in the /mods/ directory. When the contents of that mod is changed it ends up in the overwrite directory. Skyproc based programs like AV, Asis after running a patch create an .esp file, this will end up here. Same for a bashed patch.esp and files you have cleaned with Tes5Edit. It good practice to put them back to the original mod directory, but it can't hurt. I've never done it though... The overwrite directory if no filter is set is always shown at the bottom of the left pane. Double clicking shows you the contents and you can manipulate the files.

Python: MO is open source and the goal of Tannin is to make it possible for others to create new functionality and/or enhance existing functionality. For that a large portion of MO is controlled by plugins. This is new for the 0.99 series. MO was written in C++, to make it better accessible for the community he added Python as a programming language for the plugin. Note: Wrye Bash is written in Python. Atm all plugins are written in C++ except for the 'Configurator' plugin. To quote Tannin "Regarding the configurator plugin: This is supposed to eventually take the place of the ini editor. It basically lets you configure the game (skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini) in a more friendly way.". The exclamation mark tells you Python is missing and what to do to fix it. It will show the download page for it. Download and install the 32 bits version of Python 2.7.x, current is 2.7.5. NOT the 3.x series as that is NOT backwards compatible. After installing you will under 'Tools' the configurator. Looks promising.

Edit: The MO forum of course is the place to be. The community there knows quite a bit of tricks...

Thanks buddy, I will get Python installed - still confused about overwrite though, I mean I am used to 12.9 and its not an issue there, I usually only have the cleaned vanilla ESMs, bashed patch patch and skyproc patchers in there as plugins. Of course a number of other files end up in there e.g. the texture files for AV etc - it is a simple enough thing to sort out if the overwrite folder in 0.99 series MO needs to be kept clean of all files (even easier if it's just plugins that need to be removed and placed in mods) but it does seem to be quite a departure from before.

Since I've never updated MO before, I'll take a look at the nexus page for it and see what it says as far as instructions. I'm a bit nervous but I'll come back to this thread if I have any issues.

What kind of bugs are ironed out re: installing mods?

A failsafe update method can be found in the MO forum, courtesy of Vuud. What normally works is just copy the contents of the zipfile for the new MO version into the existing directory. This failed for me once, but that issue was also solved by 0.99.6.  The 'changes' button on the OP of MO and forum describes exactly what has been changed. If you want to know the details just look for the posts of the last 3-5 days. That's more efficient then to repeat it here.

Thanks buddy, I will get Python installed - still confused about overwrite though, I mean I am used to 12.9 and its not an issue there, I usually only have the cleaned vanilla ESMs, bashed patch patch and skyproc patchers in there as plugins. Of course a number of other files end up in there e.g. the texture files for AV etc - it is a simple enough thing to sort out if the overwrite folder in 0.99 series MO needs to be kept clean of all files (even easier if it's just plugins that need to be removed and placed in mods) but it does seem to be quite a departure from before.

Nothing has changed. In 0.99.x only a warning is now shown as a reminder. I have to admit I would like to being able to 'silence' that warning. So that after one has Python installed it ONLY turns red when a real problem has occurred. Well, for that you can add an enhancement ticket in MO's issue tracker ;-)

Note: I tried it three times but normal quoting always results in the post being added to the last post I created. Suboptimal.....

Great info guys! Thanks a lot!

I have been using 0.12.9 for quite some time now, but I am a bit hesitant to try 0.99.6 as not to screw up any of my set-ups/profiles.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a safe way to "migrate" from 0.12.9 -> 0.99.6 without jeopardizing any of your current mod set-up/profiles?

I have been using 0.12.9 for quite some time now, but I am a bit hesitant to try 0.99.6 as not to screw up any of my set-ups/profiles.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a safe way to "migrate" from 0.12.9 -> 0.99.6 without jeopardizing any of your current mod set-up/profiles?

You seem to have missed what I told Thunderclam in a post from yesterday. My opnion: Upgrade to 0.99.6 and enjoy the new features. Make a backup of relevant MO ini/cfg/profiles files/directories before doing that is good practice (as is making daily backups, its NOT much data). Vuud has also explained how to do that in detail in the MO forum. For me  0.99.6 is (even) more stable then 0.12.9.

You seem to have missed what I told Thunderclam in a post from yesterday. My opnion: Upgrade to 0.99.6 and enjoy the new features. Make a backup of relevant MO ini/cfg/profiles files/directories before doing that is good practice (as is making daily backups, its NOT much data). Vuud has also explained how to do that in detail in the MO forum. For me  0.99.6 is (even) more stable then 0.12.9.
That part, yes, a thousand times, yes. 0.99.6 has been great for both Skyrim and FNV, very stable. All I need now is for it to start 64-bit binaries so I can get NMM to run those Gopher mods for FNV that use those installers for OneHUD and UnifiedHUD. Maybe there is a way to write a plugin for it, but I'm sure it's in C# or C++, either that or find a way to get NMM to install 32-bit version.

That part, yes, a thousand times, yes. 0.99.6 has been great for both Skyrim and FNV, very stable. All I need now is for it to start 64-bit binaries so I can get NMM to run those Gopher mods for FNV that use those installers for OneHUD and UnifiedHUD. Maybe there is a way to write a plugin for it, but I'm sure it's in C# or C++, either that or find a way to get NMM to install 32-bit version.

Not into .Net and such (make a living as a Java programmer) but perhaps similar to Java you are able to install a 32 bits .Net on your 64 bits machine and then install NMM in such a way that it uses that one.

BUT your are in luck it seems. In the MO forum there recently was a discussion about FONV and mods like OneHud, Uhud etc.You can use FOMM to do that in combination with a fake FONV setup. See for more details the post by GsdFan date/time: posted @ 12:58, 7 Sep 2013. Also you use the search keyword 'fake' to will find similar ones but then for a fake Skyrim install in combination with NMM. Its from this year. Just click 'view forum thread' and then search the whole forum in one go.

Tannin was first going to use easyhook (just google it) which would potentially have made 64 bits support possible. But he had concerns about

the speed of it. So instead he decided to go for a 1.0 release and plugins. Perhaps after a 1.0 release he will (re)consider it again. 0.99.6 is really shaping up. The bugfixes list with every release seems to shrink. Now a 99.5% correct working NMM importer and the NMM users can migrate easy and live in a better modding world......

An alternative for a fake FONV setup would be the implementation of the holy grail for MO. As in during installing a mod it sees the other installed mods and their contents. BUT for that he has to do a major of the external fomod installer (NCC) and/or the default internal fomod installer. But I don't see  that happen soon because its not really that needed for Skyrim. SkyUI gives an warning during install that skse is missing and with another you have to manually which mods you have installed (normally it can detect them automatically). But that is it I think.

Hope this helps a bit.

That's a cool trick for FOMM using a fake directory, since FOMM crashes or freezes every time I use it from MO. It's not exactly something I can add to the troubleshoot section on a wiki though because it's a very experienced user technique. I would then need a troubleshoot for the troubleshoot kinda of thing, and wouldn't help if I ever did a FNV guide, which is one of those itches that I've been meaning to scratch.

Hopefully, Tannin does find a good solution for 64-bit binaries or the NMM guys let us install 32-bit on 64-bit systems without having to hack their installer. I started a thread asking the NMM guys about it and it pretty much got ignored.

RC 1.0 released today! If you haven't been using the Beta versions (like myself), it's now considered stable enough to upgrade. Go get it now!

Actually...you might want to hold off. MO is now crashing every time I install a new mod. I'm going to backup, uninstall and do a fresh install to see if it fixes the issue.

Doing a fresh install seemed to have fixed the issue.

MAJOR BUG REPORT (SOLVED)

After days of research on why I couldn't absorb dragon souls (even on a clean install).

I found that the problem was related to MO.

For example:

When I launch the game through MO, Everything seems to be working perfectly fine till I battled with a dragon.

Normally, when the dragon dies, I would absorb the soul, and continue on my adventure.

However, in this occasion, when the dragon died, it didn't dissolve or let my character absorb the soul.

This baffled me, because I had a fresh install of skyrim with no mods. (including the default skyrim ini & skyrimpref)

Than out of curiosity, I started the game through the normal TESV.exe, and found that the problem was fixed.

I tried this multiple times on both MO & TESV.exe launch and found the result to be the same everytime.

So I would like to officially announce this bug.