General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

Now with a new version of Skyrim Script Extender, I want/need to update it to build *.14.

I don't want to mess anything up, so I just wanted to ask and confirm that to update to this latest version, I just follow the same steps as shown in SR while replacing all files as I update? Didn't know what the update process was for SKSE. I didn't want to mess up MO or anything.

EDIT: I went ahead and just re-did everything as laid out in SR but overwriting/replacing the old stuff. So I think I should be good. If I should have done something else, someone let me know ;)

I noticed something when I did my short ENB framerate run and noticed that the texture seam for the 1st person hands is still there. I followed the instructions on the guide (double checked' date=' unless somehow I missed something) and it's still there I did the step of placing the default UNP body as stated in the guide and idk it's just weird. I also tried using the mature skin files to make it work and no dice. Ideas?[/quote']

For the Dimonized UNP Female Body did you follow this instruction?

In /Mods/Dimonized UNP Female Body/meshes/actors/character/character assets' date=' rename femalehands*.nif to 1stpersonfemalehands*.nif.[/quote']

You should have two files in that directory (1stpersonfemalehands_0.nif and 1stpersonfemalehands_1.nif).

Yup that is what I said.

Also I noticed that the new SKSE lacks a SKSE folder in the Data folder

Did you check whether or not those files are being overwritten by other mods? As someone else already mentioned, there is no SKSE directory. Either save the current one somewhere else before updating and copy it back or recreate it with a new skse.ini.

Okay, just finished SR and booted up the game for the first time.

First issues I have:

1.) I'm getting some pretty extreme flickering on my screen. At first I thought it was originating from maybe the torches/candles/fire, but when I get into an area with no fire what so ever, I still have my screen flickering pretty bad. The flicker even causes a Blur. My screen gets blurry.

2.) I became a companion and started in the companions guild building in whiterun (forgot the name). When I attempted to leave the building and enter whiterun, I got a CTD. :( But on a second attempt, I decided to start off in Riften and I entered Riften without a CTD.

So, any ideas on ths really bad flicker and blur?

Ok are you running an ENB? If so disable it. Second have you optimized your texture according to this?

Third; what are your system specs and what texture resolutions did you use?

I turned off the ENB and the game ran like butter.  So, it's definitely an ENB issue.

I have a pretty stout computer system, I should be able to run ENB.  If I can't then most people shouldn't be able to lol...  Here are my computer specs:

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79 E-ATX Motherboard

-Intel i7-3930k CPU @ 4.3GHz

-G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (Timing: 7-8-8-24, Cas Latency 7) DDR3 1600MHz RAM

-(2x) Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 6GB Vapor-X Graphics cards in Crossfire.

-XSPC Raystorm 750 RX240 Watercooling kit

-(2x) Intel 520 Series 6GB/s SSD Hard Drives (120GB for OS, 180GB for programs (aka Skyrim)).

I used 2k textures mostly everywhere except I believe I used 4k for Dragon bones, spider webs, and the whiterun trellis.

What could I have done to have the ENB completely bomb my game and system?

O.O you shouldn't have ANY problems running ANYTHING (In fact that's along the lines of what I'd buy when I upgrade next excepting for new generation products)

Have you tried another ENB preset? Which were you using Realvision.

Also if you are using a full Skyrim Revisited install (or in general) I'd never use 4k textures they eat up a lot of resources. In fact 2k textures often push it. If Skyrim were a 64-Bit program there wouldn't be much of a problem but as it's 32-bit you'll run into the 3GB crash once your VRAM copies over a lot of the textures from VRAM into RAM. I suggest 2k with 1k normals.

I will change the few textures I have at 4k and download the 2k versions.  I believe it was only the ones I mentioned.

Yes, I am using RealVision ENB.  I did everything exactly by the book, following SR.  I will post a youtube video of my flickering when I get back in from cutting the grass.... lol.

OOOOh PRETTY LIGHTS!

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. You followed Neo's install guide for ATI driver from the guide?

Also check your d3d9.fx and dxgi.fx files and look for #define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / xxxx.x, 1.0 / xxxx.x) you should input your resolution in place of the xxxx.x See if that helps any.

Here's a quick example of the flickering. This is only present when ENB is enabled. Also, it's not just isolated to the face, but the whole screen and environment.

EDIT: Another example:

As owner of a HD7950 and previously having this issue with Skyrim without ENB and with ENB (amplified 10x with ENB).

Artifacting in DX9 based game is somewhat common for older ATI driver. Like 13.1 and below.

Updating to the latest driver fixed it for me. Current one is 13.4, there is also 13.5 if u want to try the beta.

If you already have latest driver then it's probably related to Crossfire which I read it doens't play too nice with Skyrim.

Yes what you have in the video is most likely a driver issue.

Alternatively you could try to disable the AO and Relflection options in the ingame GUI for testing. Those two are the only ones that would normally contribute to flickering since they apply a new texture on top of what is already there in order to produce the effects.

I cannot comment on Crossfire, but ENB is not optimized for SLI or Crossfire, and never will be since Boris thinks it is a waste of time. So if you have more cards and sudden issues try to disable them first. If that fails try to rollback to a previous driver version. The newest Nvidia driver version had issues with ENB so perhaps AMD´s could also have. Boris only takes stuff seriously once drivers come out of beta before he implements driver related fixes. At least that is what I gather from the ENB forums when people reports bugs.

OOOOh PRETTY LIGHTS!

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. You followed Neo's install guide for ATI driver from the guide?

Also check your d3d9.fx and dxgi.fx files and look for #define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / xxxx.x, 1.0 / xxxx.x) you should input your resolution in place of the xxxx.x See if that helps any.

Yeah, I followed Neo's ATI driver guide.  I plan on doing some troubleshooting tonight to try and narrow down the issue.  I will try this as one of my options.

Here's a quick example of the flickering. This is only present when ENB is enabled. Also, it's not just isolated to the face, but the whole screen and environment.

EDIT: Another example:

As owner of a HD7950 and previously having this issue with Skyrim without ENB and with ENB (amplified 10x with ENB).

Artifacting in DX9 based game is somewhat common for older ATI driver. Like 13.1 and below.

Updating to the latest driver fixed it for me. Current one is 13.4, there is also 13.5 if u want to try the beta.

If you already have latest driver then it's probably related to Crossfire which I read it doens't play too nice with Skyrim.

I'm currently at work and can't recall what ATI driver I have, but I believe it automatically prompts me to update everytime a new version is out, so I am fairly certain my driver is the most up to date out there.  When I play Skyrim without ENB, the game is very smooth and no flickering.  Just the ENB seems to bomb it.  Crossfire is working fine, as long as ENB is off.  I'll confirm my driver version number when I get home.

Yes what you have in the video is most likely a driver issue.

Alternatively you could try to disable the AO and Relflection options in the ingame GUI for testing. Those two are the only ones that would normally contribute to flickering since they apply a new texture on top of what is already there in order to produce the effects.

I cannot comment on Crossfire, but ENB is not optimized for SLI or Crossfire, and never will be since Boris thinks it is a waste of time. So if you have more cards and sudden issues try to disable them first. If that fails try to rollback to a previous driver version. The newest Nvidia driver version had issues with ENB so perhaps AMD´s could also have. Boris only takes stuff seriously once drivers come out of beta before he implements driver related fixes. At least that is what I gather from the ENB forums when people reports bugs.

I will try and disable crossfire and test it again and see what happens.  The AO and Reflection settings are changed by pressing ctrl + shift right?  To bring up the ingame GUI?

Lastly, I want to say.... besides the ENB issue everything else seems to be fine except for that stupid 3GB limit! Oh how I wish this game was a 64bit game :(   Before starting SR Skyrim I am sitting at like 4.1GB Ram, and during gameplay it shoots up to around 7GB and once I get close to 7.2GB I CTD :(  But that issue is known and fixable to an extent.  I am just worried mostly about my ENB issue for now.

Thanks for all the help guys!  I really appreciate it!