General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

I was but the particle patch overwrites it (it comes up with the grey lightning bolt redundancy flag in MO)

Odd, I don't see the particle patch overwriting anything to do with Flora Overhaul, it comes before it (#29 in my load order).  I can almost guarantee that infinite loading screens out of Markarth are exactly what Neo said.  I struggled with them for a LONG time before finally discovering that.

Hmm... well it seems it's likely not just Markarth I got another freeze in the wilderness just a bit ago. I even tried disabling my non-SR mods. The freeze is at least fairly reproducible i.e. wait about 30 minutes and then start bashing on wolves or bears in the wilderness and it'll freeze (eventually) after you kill one (no set number of kills I killed about 50 wolves before it happened one time)

*facepalm* I said Particle Patch but it's Aiyen's textures from his ENB.

Anyone found a way to fix it raining underneath structures? I mean rain coming through the roof of say Alvor's forge in Riverwood is very immersion breaking. The tents too. I wonder if it's possible to do something like Hearthome Cottage (no load doors and part of the worldspace) I have not noticed any rain in it; obviously for tents it'd be hard or next to impossible but for Alvor's forge...

Also does anyone else find it disturbing how OFTEN it rains? I swear I get out of one that lasts for a day and then have five minutes before another shows up >v<

there is a mod for that, called "Real shelter".

I also remember seeing a post on the Wet and Cold forum a few weeks back that isoku was working on a collision detection for water / snow... in effect allowing rooftops / obstructions etc to stop the particles. It was a greyed out option for awhile... seems to have disappeared again. Hopefully he manages to add this awesome feature!

Update:

Hey everyone, the rain/snow collision mod should be relatively complete in the next few days so I'm looking for testers.

I'm mainly concerned with system and script performance here so I encourage the use of other mods while testing. If you feel like helping me out with feedback, leave me a message here or send me a PM and you'll receive further instructions in a few days.

posted @ 4:02, 29 Apr 2013

My game has been pretty much perfectly stable, but I guess it really hates nirnroot. I tried to pick one and my desktop appeared nigh instantaneously. I know there's been tons of problems with it in general, but I can't seem to find anyone on the interwebz with that specific issue. I'd enable logging and try to duplicate it, but for now it's bedtime :-\ adulthood ftl.

My game has been pretty much perfectly stable' date=' but I guess it really hates nirnroot. I tried to pick one and my desktop appeared nigh instantaneously. I know there's been tons of problems with it in general, but I can't seem to find anyone on the interwebz with that specific issue. I'd enable logging and try to duplicate it, but for now it's bedtime :-\ adulthood ftl.[/quote']

and your load order? do you have some harvest mods installed?

Well that's just weird I was crafting and got a freeze. I haven't seen any in the wilderness yet since I've turned off ENB and adjusted shadows. I"m now getting about a constant 60 FPS while running in the wilderness. When I get on a horse I get some major slowdowns however sometimes to 37fps then back up to the 50's

Well that's just weird I was crafting and got a freeze. I haven't seen any in the wilderness yet since I've turned off ENB and adjusted shadows. I"m now getting about a constant 60 FPS while running in the wilderness. When I get on a horse I get some major slowdowns however sometimes to 37fps then back up to the 50's

I remember CTDing when using the tanning rack in riverwood. I never figured out what exactly caused it.

It is rather annoying, but as far as I gather it is a(nother) limitation of the game engine. Just like the game engine gets unstable if you use too many hairs etc. without the mod that allows it you get freezes and CTD´s.

The way I got around from it was to stop using bandolier since it adds a million things that essentially only vary in color. Cloaks of skyrim is another however it did remove most of its stuff unless you have a book etc. to avoid cluttering the lists.

I regularly freeze when crafting cloaks-- I start at the tanning rack with the fur crafting kit from WIC, and bam, freeze within 20 seconds guaranteed. Have to force the game to exit from Task Manager after. It seems to be a RAM or VRAM issue somehow, since it happens even in interiors. If I don't play at fullscreen (1920x1080) res however it works fine.

I regularly freeze when crafting cloaks-- I start at the tanning rack with the fur crafting kit from WIC' date=' and bam, freeze within 20 seconds guaranteed. Have to force the game to exit from Task Manager after. It seems to be a RAM or VRAM issue somehow, since it happens even in interiors. If I don't play at fullscreen (1920x1080) res however it works fine.[/quote']

this is because of precaching all textures for every item you can craft in selected category.

Hmm. Normal system idle on my Win 7 Pro x64 system consumes just under 1.7 GB RAM. I've 8GB RAM installed and my GFX card has about 1526MB or so VRAM DDR3. Not sure what Skyrim is doing with memory and CPU usage though. Would Skyrim Performance Monitor be worth trying out in this case?