v2.3 - Feedback & Bug Reports

Hey, all, I found a small bug in the step patch - post processing.esp file. The patch changes the model path of record xx00F6F1 (mannyLightCandleLantern) to "Universal\CandleLanternwithCandle01.nif" while the proper path from "Radiant - Candles" appears to be "clutter\common\candlelanternwithcandle01.nif."

--Dave

On 8/25/2024 at 12:09 AM, d2eRX52 said:

i've been looking into the step cr patch in sseedit (i was just making sure that mod i've added has no overlap with it)
and i've noticed that for some reason cr patch changes height of DarkElfRaceVampire back to vanilla one, from Lore-Corrected Races variant

is there any particular reason why is it this way?

also it reverts deletion of brows in lcr of darkelfracevampire and wood elf race vampire

4 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

I think you're post got overlooked. I didn't make the patches this time but can take a look over the next couple of days. @z929669 may be able to answer faster.

The changes were due to forwarding USSEP changes (like the damage mult for khajiits). I don't recall intentionally making dark elves shorter, so that may have been my mistake. I've corrected this in my instance for next update.

Regarding the brows, I'll defer to Tech on what to do here. LCR made the departure, but I didn't find anything specific about that in the mod Description, so I went with the USSEP changes (Dawnguard vanilla default).

Here's the ref:

image.png

18 hours ago, z929669 said:

I've only heard something like this once, and have no idea why, but it sounds like it 's about unexpected output files in Overwrite or elsewhere or some mod like Root Builder.

This is exactly what was occurring. I was able to develop a process to solve this which I will describe below. First, I do use Root Builder - so the obvious solution is do not use Root Builder as it is not part of the STEP set-up.  Here is the solution with Root Builder.  When generating the pre-cache Grass  in MO (and using Root Builder), it creates two output subdirectories.  It creates a "Grass" subdirectory with the *.cgrid files and a "Root" subdirectory with a *.txt file named PrecacheGrass.txt. The grass cache will appear to generate normally and a message will be received from MO that the Grass Cache has completed. However, that is not the case. Therefore, I created a new "Grass Cache" mod and moved both the Grass subdirectory containing the *.cgrid files and the Root subdirectory containing the text file. I then activated this mod. Then from MO I ran SKSE. Skyrim will start and will continue the process of generating the Grass Cache. When it finishes generating the second time, I merged the *.cgrid files it created into the existing Grass Cache subdirectory in the created Grass Cache mod. I continued this process (typically 2 or 3 additional times) until there were no more *.cgrid files being created. Rather, all that was in the MO Overwrite bin was an empty "Grass" subdirectory. When that occurs, the Grass Cache generation is complete.    I then hid the "Root" directory in the created Grass Cache mod and continued with the creation of LODS and DynDOLOD.  The rest of the operations worked normally and I was able to play the game without issue. 

1 hour ago, jap2112 said:

This is exactly what was occurring. I was able to develop a process to solve this which I will describe below. First, I do use Root Builder - so the obvious solution is do not use Root Builder as it is not part of the STEP set-up.  Here is the solution with Root Builder.  When generating the pre-cache Grass  in MO (and using Root Builder), it creates two output subdirectories.  It creates a "Grass" subdirectory with the *.cgrid files and a "Root" subdirectory with a *.txt file named PrecacheGrass.txt. The grass cache will appear to generate normally and a message will be received from MO that the Grass Cache has completed. However, that is not the case. Therefore, I created a new "Grass Cache" mod and moved both the Grass subdirectory containing the *.cgrid files and the Root subdirectory containing the text file. I then activated this mod. Then from MO I ran SKSE. Skyrim will start and will continue the process of generating the Grass Cache. When it finishes generating the second time, I merged the *.cgrid files it created into the existing Grass Cache subdirectory in the created Grass Cache mod. I continued this process (typically 2 or 3 additional times) until there were no more *.cgrid files being created. Rather, all that was in the MO Overwrite bin was an empty "Grass" subdirectory. When that occurs, the Grass Cache generation is complete.    I then hid the "Root" directory in the created Grass Cache mod and continued with the creation of LODS and DynDOLOD.  The rest of the operations worked normally and I was able to play the game without issue. 

This is one reason we don't use Root Builder. It adds a layer of unexpectedness and complexity. If you are using it, then things will be probably be different for you than what many of our guide instructions say.

I recommend following the guide exactly and not using mods not in the guide.

31 minutes ago, z929669 said:

This is one reason we don't use Root Builder. It adds a layer of unexpectedness and complexity. If you are using it, then things will be probably be different for you than what many of our guide instructions say.

I recommend following the guide exactly and not using mods not in the guide.

Sorry about that. I have been using Root Builder for so long I don't even think of it as a mod. I am pretty comfortable with distinguishing when I have to modify instructions and I was unaware of the unexpectedness of the program. I never experienced it until now. In any case, the STEP modlist is working now and other than Root Builder, there are no other mods installed. I apologize for any trouble.  Thank You.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, z929669 said:

The changes were due to forwarding USSEP changes (like the damage mult for khajiits). I don't recall intentionally making dark elves shorter, so that may have been my mistake. I've corrected this in my instance for next update.

Regarding the brows, I'll defer to Tech on what to do here. LCR made the departure, but I didn't find anything specific about that in the mod Description, so I went with the USSEP changes (Dawnguard vanilla default).

Here's the ref:

image.png

That's likely an error. I can update the mod. Quick fix.

22 hours ago, Dave0523 said:

Hey, all, I found a small bug in the step patch - post processing.esp file. The patch changes the model path of record xx00F6F1 (mannyLightCandleLantern) to "Universal\CandleLanternwithCandle01.nif" while the proper path from "Radiant - Candles" appears to be "clutter\common\candlelanternwithcandle01.nif."

--Dave

This is intended as the universal asset should be included with the Patch. The issue is with the lanterns from LoS when combined with ENB. Since LoS adds a light with the lanterns, they become far too bright with ENB's added particle light. The universal asset is a lantern that will not produce a particle light, thus fixing this issue.

EDIT:
I see @z929669 left out this asset in the new file on Nexus. It will need to be updated unless he found another fix for this I wasn't aware of.

5 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

This is intended as the universal asset should be included with the Patch. The issue is with the lanterns from LoS when combined with ENB. Since LoS adds a light with the lanterns, they become far too bright with ENB's added particle light. The universal asset is a lantern that will not produce a particle light, thus fixing this issue.

EDIT:
I see @z929669 left out this asset in the new file on Nexus. It will need to be updated unless he found another fix for this I wasn't aware of.

Indeed. I neglected to package the meshes folder. Will be fixed soon.

My feedback is that it's a great guide. Thanks for making it. I just finished it and my game looks great. I think what i'm wondering is how to update my implementation of your guide when you release bug fixes? Like are you going to have a changelog for patches with instructions on how to update from 2.3 to 2.3.1 or whatever?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BearTrap said:

My feedback is that it's a great guide. Thanks for making it. I just finished it and my game looks great. I think what i'm wondering is how to update my implementation of your guide when you release bug fixes? Like are you going to have a changelog for patches with instructions on how to update from 2.3 to 2.3.1 or whatever?

Thanks!

2.3.x is always safe to update mid playthrough if you begin with 2.3. The Nexus has changelogs, and so does the 2.3 guide changelog (linked from the top of the guide) under post-release changes. There's been a couple of updates already and all changes are described. Nothing big, just minor fixes.

9 minutes ago, d2eRX52 said:

SSE26.thumb.jpg.9eeb33c1fe0599d6ff7e3c31b8786d1e.jpgSSE28.thumb.jpg.751d21375680b54cb793e4bdb68ce8d9.jpg

is this seam vanilla and "just was there always? does anybody else have it? possible cause?

SSE29.thumb.jpg.ed0da2f2d895977514525b73f04a059d.jpgSSE30.thumb.jpg.594f86b9b2bfcd5ff23ca36abbd1cd6f.jpg

This is a location yet to be addressed by VLC, which @TechAngel85 is the lead.

It's probably exacerbated by CL and/or MM.

3 hours ago, D1Z4STR said:

On step 21 - Radiant Candles FOMOD says to install version - Luminosity or WS. Shouldn't we pick the ELFX option?

i think since we don't use elfx lightning, only meshes, we need to pick luminosity since it's more neutral or whatever idk, and we install elfx patch in second step

• Like 1