v3.2 - Feedback & Bug Reports

There are several questions about the current version of the guide:

• Miscellaneous Text Fixes - it is not specified which files to select, one or more main (PAK files), or optional LUA files?
  • Private Landing Pads - again, what file to download?
  • Space Station Interior Fix - obsolete
Edited by zertyuiop

On 4/2/2024 at 8:53 AM, zertyuiop said:

There are several questions about the current version of the guide:

• Miscellaneous Text Fixes - it is not specified which files to select, one or more main (PAK files), or optional LUA files?
  • Private Landing Pads - again, what file to download?
  • Space Station Interior Fix - obsolete

If you review the Mod Table Reference, it tells you what to do in these situations. The yellow bar indications to install the the LUA files.

For Misc Text Files, install the ones that bother you and that you desire to correct. I've installed all of them.

For Private Landing Pads, install the one you want. If doesn't matter. Read the mod's description and decide which one you'd like for your game. One applies the effect to the game's pad and the other one adds in an additional pad that has the affect applies. The alternative version means you can build two pads. One that NPCs will use and one they won't. Step encourages customization so install the one you desire for your game.

Space Station Interior Fix, yes. I haven't been able to update the Guide for the latest version of the game. It's perfectly fine to not include this mod and any others than may be in the same situation with the game update. Please be mindful that not all mods in the Guide may be up-to-date for the latest game version. This happen after most game updates where there is a small waiting period for MBINCompiler and mods to release updates.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I played so I had to double check. For some reason, with Orbitals update (4.63), my ship starts but never lifts off when I start it if playing with mods. It works fine without mods. If it matters, I play in VR with a Quest 2 through Virtual Desktop. I was starting from scratch with the tutorial and once the ship is repaired, when I grab the throttle and push it forwards, I hear the engines rev up, the startup bar fills then disappears and then the ship does not move. the controla respond visually but nothing happens. If I release the throttle and stick, I can grab the cabin handles, but I'm stuck inside and I need to reload the game to do anything. If I don't start the engine, I can exit the cabin and walk around, but once the engine is started, I'm stuck and cannot play.

Any help, hints or pointers to a solution would be very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the problem to be related to some starship speeds in the ___StepNMS-GCSpaceshipGlobals.lua:

I discovered that min speeds of less than 1 and hover speed of less than 1 end up causing liftoff failures in many cases, where the motor would start, the cockpit would be locked and the starship would not start moving. The only solution in these cases was to return to menu and reload the last save.

This problem never happened again once I made the following changes. I tried changing only HoverSpeedFactor, HoverMinSpeed or any of the ControlPEMinSpeed (depending on ship class) but none of those were sufficient by itself and the problem kept happening ocasionnaly. With all changes, no more problems after at least 40 hours of play and hundreds of liftoffs in different environments.

HoverSpeedFactor = 1					-- Speed at which ship hovers | 20 | 351
HoverMinSpeed = 1						-- Minimum speed at which ship will hover | 1 | 353
ControlPEMinSpeed = 1					--  | 20 | 
ControlLTPEMinSpeed = 1					--  | 20 | 
ControlHVYPEMinSpeed = 1				--  | 20 | 

I also include the modified file

___StepNMS-GCSpaceshipGlobals.lua

13 hours ago, Solamain said:

Many thanks Alyndiar, your modded file also fixed the problem I was having calling my ship, before your file they would just show up and hover in the sky, never landing.

Quite happy to help! I suspect something changed in Orbital that requires hover and maneuver speeds to be other than 0 or 0.1.