[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When a mod RAR file has multiple versions , only one of which should be chosen, what's the best way to handle that in Wrye Bash?

I've been extracting the versions I want to use and then placing them in a folder and then deleting the RAR file. I find it distracting to see all the options listed on the Installers Package tab in Wrye Bash.

Actually, this is for the Skill Interface Retexture, which has Wrye Bash installation instructions that call for downloading the NMM installer version and then installing a Wyre Bash installer version (the creator doesn't provide any instructions on this, though).

How have you guys installed Skill Interface Retexture? There are many many subfolders, plus I need to install the Dawnguard version, so whatever method is most efficient...

EDIT---- I installed the RAR of the BCF version of Skill Interface 6.0. I followed the instructions and placed the BCF file from within the RAR file into the Bain Convertors folder. The RAR file itself is in the Bash Installers folder.

Despite having done that, the Apply option remains greyed out when I follow these steps:

1. Ensure that the BCF is installed in the correct location, [Game] Mods\Bash Installers\Bain Converters. Also ensure that the archive(s) it converts is/are in [Game] Mods\Bash Installers.

2. From the BAIN installers list, select the archive(s) to be converted (i.e., the "source" packages) and right click on the selected file(s) to bring up the context menu, and select Conversions to open the sub-menu.

3. Click on Apply to open a second sub-menu and select the BCF from it.

Also, both the Skill Interface and Skill Interface (Dawnguard) have an idenictally named file (BCF.dat)- I cannot place both in the Bain Convertors folder or one will overwrite the other (or be given a (1) appendage). Advice?

PS- I did a forum search for this and everything I've found just says to place the BCF in the Bain Convertors folder (with the RAR file still in the Bash Installers folder) and then choose Convert>Apply. So, no idea how to get it such that Apply isn't greyed out.

Also, and this is a newb question:

I notice that several mods in the Mods tab don't have checks in the green boxes, even though I added the files and checked them in the Installers tab. I've gone ahead and checked them in the Mods tab, assuming that they need to be checked. Also ran BOSS and then rebuilt the Bashed Patch.

If you updated to 1.9 then yeah you can't use those mods atm, though Farlo said somewhere he wasn't having any compatibility problems but I don't know if he is using them or not. The old version of STEP is for 1.8x, the patch came out in the interim, a new one will come out soon I'm sure, give them a chance!

I don't delete optional components unless it's necessary to get a mod to work, you can usually select the options you want in the sub-packages area to the right. It's not that distracting! Plus you are re-archiving them?

You are just dropping the mods (and BCFs) into the installers tab of WB right? It puts them in the right places itself.

Some BCFs that the guys have made are specific i.e. (I think I remember this being the case with SIR) you need to have dropped both packages, main AND dawnguard in because the BCF draws from both archives.

Ticking a box in the mods tab is required for the package to be active. They may be installed but they won't be used unless ticked.

Now that you're installing stuff get the hell out of this thread Pepper! I will still try and help you elsewhere ;)

Haha, ok will take future questions (after this next one) to the appropriate forum.

I answer to your question about re-archiving Skill Interface and Skill Interface Dawnguard...I did not create RAR files from them but instead created a folder (which appears in Wrye Bash as a diamond) in the correct Wrye Bash folder. Each folder has the sub folders that are the mod options I chose to use. It has apparently worked fine, since I reran BOSS and rebuilt bashed patch, then started a new game. The skill interface looks new and improved.

Is creating folders ok, or are archive RAR files preferred? And if so, why?

No more non-DDSopt questions here any longer, i promise! :-)

Is it ok to skip using DDSopt altogether. What problems would I have if I didn't use it. Also would I have to do anything in your guide differently? Thanks

Without using a TeX optimizer your likely to run out of RAM quicker so you may need to use smaller texture sizes or trim the mods down.

If you follow the steps laid out it's not that difficult of tedious to do, though a bit confusing at first.

The other point though is that AFAIK it does not have to be done at any particular point in time. If you are using MO you can do it whenever you want/need to. Just doing the three big texture packs in the foundation plus the HRDLCs seems to really increase system stability quite a bit.

Does anyone know why the filter for normal maps (*_n.dds) doesn't work in ddsopt? I followed all of the steps in the appendix to resize my normal maps but for some reason ddsopt just resizes all of the textures instead even though the filter shows only the normal map files.

Does anyone know why the filter for normal maps (*_n.dds) doesn't work in ddsopt? I followed all of the steps in the appendix to resize my normal maps but for some reason ddsopt just resizes all of the textures instead even though the filter shows only the normal map files.

you need to:

• set the current filter by clicking on the "Apply" button
  • click the green checkmark or the rex x-box to run a new pass over the data
  • the result will include only what appears on the Filter now.
Keep in mind that there are a couple of other settings (Settings menu):

• Skip existing files
  • Skip older files
  • Skip hidden files
These will also filter according to those properties. In this way, you have almost complete control over the result, even if you use the wrong filter, re-running data with the correct filter applied will overwrite accordingly.

Of course, you cannot take back changes, so the original overwritten file states cannot be recovered (if there happen to be any that aren't in the current source), but your can play with all of the available file states that exist in the current source file and return the desired results in many roundabout ways.

Following steps 4 and 5 should have produced a list of all the textures in the file in the DDSopt window with the check boxes all unchecked. If this isn't what you see then try these steps again.

Then step 6 should show only the normal map textures which are then checked.

If steps 4 and 5 didn't work properly, or if the "Copy unprocessed and Ignored" line was still checked after doing step 8, then you would get the result you describe.

Your RAM over 4Go is not relevant for Skyrim since the engine seems to hit a wall at 3.2Go.

Optimizing texture will not only reduce the amount of VRAM it uses but will also significantly reduce suttering.

So no you won't "need" to do it, but you will gain from it. The good thing with 3Go of VRAM you can use 2k texture pack without having to reduce the normals for example.

Your RAM over 4Go is not relevant for Skyrim since the engine seems to hit a wall at 3.2Go.

Optimizing texture will not only reduce the amount of VRAM it uses but will also significantly reduce suttering.

So no you won't "need" to do it, but you will gain from it. The good thing with 3Go of VRAM you can use 2k texture pack without having to reduce the normals for example.

Actually your RAM above 4Gb is still used as buffer for the game so it does help reduce stuttering... RAM buffer is still way way faster then HDD buffer. 

Also if you can install a full SR with full 2k packages and play the game (With all script mods activated!) without a single CTD for several hours straight while walking around the world going into dungeons etc etc. then you would properly be the first here! :) 

Halfsizing the normals is almost a requirement for a stable game... otherwise you just stress the game engine too much. Of course with the new memory optimizations implemented in 1.9 then you can get away with not doing as many half sizings as before (I gained about 200Mb Ram at the worst areas.). But again the loss of quality is really small in objects you are not standing up close staring at, so no reason not to do it really. 

Actually your RAM above 4Gb is still used as buffer for the game so it does help reduce stuttering... RAM buffer is still way way faster then HDD buffer. 

It's still no use for the Skyrim engine. It's relevant for the OS, not the engine as I said.

Also if you can install a full SR with full 2k packages and play the game (With all script mods activated!) without a single CTD for several hours straight while walking around the world going into dungeons etc etc. then you would properly be the first here! :)

I did with a 2Gb card but only with texture pack. Ok it didn't last long when I started to add more mod but it's possible. :lol:

Halfsizing the normals is almost a requirement for a stable game... otherwise you just stress the game engine too much. Of course with the new memory optimizations implemented in 1.9 then you can get away with not doing as many half sizings as before (I gained about 200Mb Ram at the worst areas.). But again the loss of quality is really small in objects you are not standing up close staring at, so no reason not to do it really. 

Well with that amount of VRAM if you just optimized the normal (and the rest of the textures in the pack of course) it should run well. It's also easier to optimize, test and then resize if necessary than the opposite.

Of course if you have a 2Gb or less card use 1k optimized pack or if you feeling lucky optimized 2k textures with 1k normals. Personnaly I'm using the 2k+1k option.

So I just got my Skyrim Revisited install finished, tried running around for a bit.  No game breaking CTDs (yay!) but lots of stuttering.  I have a GTX 470 graphics card, 9gb ram, ~1.5gb vram... so middle-of-the-road set-up I think.  Would now be a good time to work through the DDSOpt guide? Or should I have been doing this all along?  I am not really sure what big texture mods I should start at and what resolution / normals I should crimp them to.  I did use DDSOpt to optimize the Bethesda textures as per the SR guide's instruction.  Am I doing it okay?  Thanks!

Guide I'm referencing: 

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#tab=STEP_Mod_Texture_Properties