[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We need to make a note that [behave] > [Raise foliage-map opacity each mip level] is UNticked for SFO and possibly any foliage other than vanilla (not tested). I believe that this is what causes the "painted look" that techangel was describing somewhere in these forums.

In fact, there may be a lot of variation in the applicability of the added special features that Ethatron built into DDSopt. All we can say is that those settings apply to vanilla and thus may be a good starting point for everything ... then later note these exceptions.

SRO is an example of a texture mod that is properly mipped already, and treating mips further just blurs the details.

We need to make a note that [behave] > [Raise foliage-map opacity each mip level] is UNticked for SFO and possibly any foliage other than vanilla (not tested). I believe that this is what causes the "painted look" that techangel was describing somewhere in these forums.

However the images and instructions were set up at the time are the settings I used. I have not ran through DDSopt since the guide was overhauled. I think I need to completely reinstall STEP actually. There have been a lot of changes and mod updates since my last 2.2.1 install. That's the other reason I haven't tested any new mods under testing right now. I have the next three days off and will be moving to a new place across town part of that time, but I'll try to fit this in and DDSopt SFO again while I'm at it.

Thanks for making this guide!

After Step 7 of the "optimize the Textures" section is done, what should our file hierarchy look like? I moved the four archive files to the Bash Installers directory, but WB doesn't recognize them (they aren't listed). It doesn't recognize them if the archives are in the Data directory, either. Here's what my hierarchy looks like:

Posted Image

Have you modified your bash.ini in any way (e.g., according to the Wry Bash Guide)? Sometimes, you need to select another tab and go back to Installers to trigger a refresh. Also, click on the "Order" column header to order by this field. then the installers should be at the bottom of the list.

In fact, there may be a lot of variation in the applicability of the added special features that Ethatron built into DDSopt. All we can say is that those settings apply to vanilla and thus may be a good starting point for everything ... then later note these exceptions.

SRO is an example of a texture mod that is properly mipped already, and treating mips further just blurs the details.

I added a sidebar on the "STEP Mod Texture Properties" page of the guide mentioning this. I also added a sidebar in "DDSopt Optimization" about BSAs vs. loose files, mentioning the need to extract resources from STEP mods in addition to the vanilla BSAs and the two reports about potential problems with the optimized addon DLC BSAs.

I still haven't added the Golden Shrine exceptions to the DDSopt.ini file; soon.

Just following up - I resolved the issue before by "Enabling" the Installers tab. Doh! Keep up the good work, guys :)

I'm putting together a benchmark spreadsheet identical to the example given and will submit it once I've completed the STEP process. Where would I submit that, by the way?

I try to optimize all my vanilla textures with BSAopt and DDSopt and I try to understand when to use loose files and when to use BSA files (following the recommened advises in the DDSopt guide (loose files for vanilla textures and BSA for DLCs textues). So I would like to know if my installation order is correct ?

Skyrim - Animations.bsa - BSAopt Optimized

Skyrim - Interface.bsa - BSAopt Optimized

Skyrim - Meshes.bsa - BSAopt Optimized

Skyrim - Misc.bsa - BSAopt Optimized

Skyrim - Shaders.bsa - BSAopt Optimized

Skyrim - Textures - Loose files - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - Update - Loose files

Skyrim - HRDLC1 - Loose files - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - HRDLC2 - Loose files - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - HRDLC3 - Loose files - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - Dawnguard - BSA - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - HearthFires - BSA - DDSopt Optimized

Skyrim - Dragonborn - BSA - DDSopt Optimized

Can you please confirm that the instruction: Click [ignore] from the main menu and tick [Don't process any of the know file types] at point 5 of "Extracting Textures" is appropriate for the entire process all the way up to the end of "Optimize the Textures" on the next tab?

This action is mentioned several times in the interim.

Can you please confirm that the instruction: Click [ignore] from the main menu and tick [Don't process any of the know file types] at point 5 of "Extracting Textures" is appropriate for the entire process all the way up to the end of "Optimize the Textures" on the next tab?

"Don't process ..." tells DDSopt to leave the data alone and simply copy or extract it. You would use this only when extracting BSA. Be sure that it is UNticked whenever you want to optimize textures.

I try to optimize all my vanilla textures with BSAopt and DDSopt and I try to understand when to use loose files and when to use BSA files (following the recommened advises in the DDSopt guide (loose files for vanilla textures and BSA for DLCs textues). So I would like to know if my installation order is correct ?

Skyrim - Dragonborn - BSA - DDSopt Optimized

Install these

above these

"Don't process ..." tells DDSopt to leave the data alone and simply copy or extract it. You would use this only when extracting BSA. Be sure that it is UNticked whenever you want to optimize textures.

I guessed that was it's purpose, I'm asking at what point in the process should it be unticked to do the optimizing?

Is it at point 5. in Optimizing the textures?

I had this this option ticked the whole time and I was worried it might be doing nothing consequently but the produced and repacked Dawnguard BSA did come out significantly smaller...

Sorry if I'm being thick...

Extracting Textures

5. Click [ignore] from the main menu and tick [Don't process any of the know file types]. This will tell DDSopt to extract the contents of the BSA without performing any optimizations.

Optimize the Textures

6. Tick [ignore] > [Dont't process any of the known file types] and be sure to click the green check mark on the browsers tab. Click [Process]to essentially move all of the filtered files eliminated in step 4 into the new directory structure without processing any of the already-optimized files.

I guessed that was it's purpose, I'm asking at what point in the process should it be unticked to do the optimizing?

Is it at point 5. in Optimizing the textures?

I had this this option ticked the whole time and I was worried it might be doing nothing consequently but the produced and repacked Dawnguard BSA did come out significantly smaller...

Sorry if I'm being thick...

Extracting Textures

5. Click [ignore] from the main menu and tick [Don't process any of the know file types]. This will tell DDSopt to extract the contents of the BSA without performing any optimizations.

Optimize the Textures

6. Tick [ignore] > [Dont't process any of the known file types] and be sure to click the green check mark on the browsers tab. Click [Process]to essentially move all of the filtered files eliminated in step 4 into the new directory structure without processing any of the already-optimized files.

The section of the guide to which you refer is simply illustrating how DDSopt can be used as a BSA extractor, so the "Don't process ..." option should remain ticked during all iterations of these operations under "Extractin Textures". You can also combine this procedure with the following optimization procedures. We are illustrating each action separately, since there are just too many "correct" (and incorrect) ways to get the job done.

I understand that' date=' to re-phrase my question again, at which point precisely should this ignore option be unticked in the optimization section, if at all ?[/quote']

Those sections are not part of the same linear procedure. Before you began the "Extracting Textures" section, the settings should match the figures in the "Setup" section above. When finished with "Extracting Textures", all settings should be the same as before you began that section.

I rewrote some of that section to make it clear that it is only dealing with extraction, not optimization. I personally, would do both in a single run.

OK I see. I was doing both in a single run, for the first time, and I just went on to the next page/stage after extracting....

I've added a tiny note for idiots like me :)

Thanks for the help and the guide, other than this I've found it super helpful.

In retrospect it was kinda obvious, along with the fact it's taking an hour and a half now rather than about 5 minutes ha