[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

'][ snip ]

The recommended settings are not  NOW on the wiki (see OP).

You will need to go into your textures folder(s) and isolate the textures containing the anomolies and post screens and texture names here. I don't have any of these experiences ... perhaps your lighting/ENB mods are bringing this out? I have heard of issues with RCRN and DDSopt-ed vanilla textures.

I redid it and instead of filtering on *.*, I filtered on *.dds and no more lantern flickers.

The recently updated Nexus description for BSAopt includes a list of the improvements provided by running BSAopt on all the Bethesda BSAs, not just the texture files. We might want to add this to the DDSopt guide (since DDSopt includes the BSAopt capabilities) or perhaps some other guide.

The DDS Optimization tab, step 4, in the DDSopt guide has a list of textures to exclude from DDSopt processing. I thought Ethatron said a while ago that these did not need to be excluded any more, that DDSopt either processes these correctly now or handled any needed exclusions of these internally or in the DDSopt ini file.

The recently updated Nexus description for BSAopt includes a list of the improvements provided by running BSAopt on all the Bethesda BSAs, not just the texture files. We might want to add this to the DDSopt guide (since DDSopt includes the BSAopt capabilities) or perhaps some other guide.

The DDS Optimization tab, step 4, in the DDSopt guide has a list of textures to exclude from DDSopt processing. I thought Ethatron said a while ago that these did not need to be excluded any more, that DDSopt either processes these correctly now or handled any needed exclusions of these internally or in the DDSopt ini file.

Correct, this has yet to be updated. Only the first two sections of the DDSopt Guide apply

z,

I updated my Post 450 (https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=16394#pid16394) to refer to the OP / Wiki Guide for proper settings and to hopefully reduce confusion. I also changed the suggested settings to reduce normal maps per your recent reply to my PM. I thought it would be good for others to have that info.

Take a look when you have time, to ensure it's accurate, and if you think it makes things more confusing, I can certainly edit it further or maybe it should be deleted? I don't want to mislead anyone.

Looked at it very quickly, but it seems fine since you are pointing people to the sources. thanks

Just  quick question, if using DDSopt as per the wiki and PCG4m3r's instructions, is there any benefit to then using Optimizer Textures? Specifically referring to the initial three "mask in image" options and the "Delete unneccesary files" option. Or has DDSopt already processed these as well?

I always used these before trying DDSopt itself.

DDSopt does everything OT does and more (probably with greater precision too). No need to use both.

Updated the OP ... now I need to generate another question for Ethatron ... anyone have a question to pose? I have many, but am too unprepared to ask now.

@Ethatron

Q.7: In previous questions and answers Ethatron discussed how DDSopt recomputes mip-maps and uses a different approach (partial derivatives-based) to allow good quality compression with normal maps. There are also some other texture types beyond the standard color map and the normal maps. Does DDSopt do anything special for these texture types?

This is from Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, and HighResTexturePack01.bsa being optimized using DDSopt - pre-release - update 3 and the wiki instructions.

Riverwood

Posted Image

All other signs in Riverwood and Whiterun are fine.

Just did a fresh vanilla install + optimized vanilla / HRDLC textures myself. In addition to the sign texture techangel mentioned, I get this:

Posted Image

Also, all the horn candles are black. I used the latest DDSopt.

Can we have some names for those textures? (Try going into the console and mouse-clicking on the texture, then write down the FormID that prints back in the console. The texture can be isolated using the FormID in the CK ... or so Vurt tells us).

Sign = 0005161a

Candle stand = 0005abce

Normal horn candle = 0005c00a

Wall horn candle = 0001cc24

All black for me.

I just went to investigate this...all black for me too!

Posted Image

Thanks for corroborating. I have walked into that room a dozen times on my DDSopt'ed textures, but never noticed this (but I used the pre5b on those, so they might not be affected, but will check).

This does not mean that I haven't missed it all one-dozen times though :P

The Riverwood Trader sign, in Skyrim - Textures and in HRDLC2, after DDSopt processing (in my case update 2 on Nexus) is much darker than the original. This texture is: textures\clutter\signage\riverwood\riverwoodriverwoodtrader01.dds

The basic horn candle, in Skyrim - Textures and in HRDLC2, after DDSopt processing (in my case update 2 on Nexus) is much darker than the original and is black except for one small flame. This texture is

textures\clutter\candles\horncandles01.dds

I expect this is the texture used for the various horn candle lights. When I looked in the CK I find multiple meshes for various horn candle lights (in meshes\clutter\candles) but I can't find any other relevant textures.

By the way, I don't see the blackened horn candle textures in game normally because Tobes Highres Textures overwrites  the vanilla/HRDLC2 texture and DDSopt does not have a problem with the texture from this mod.