[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ideally they would be better than what was previously in the texture files. That makes sense, I just didn't realize DDSopt does this.

Yes, that's correct. I use an "Infinite" Response Filter for calculating the mips. "Infinite" in quotes because of course in computers everything is finite, but I fe. do an exact average of all of the texture for the 1x1 mip, not an average of the upper 2x2 mip, which means the response-length (the width) is all of the available input, which makes it practically identical to a real IIR. The reason is that textures are stored as integers with limited precision, and it is actually theoretically possible to get a black 1x1 mip from a bright texture when each successive mip->to->mip down-filter rounds down and thus gets a fraction darker each time. I also filter normal-maps in R^3 (3D-space), and do exact algebra on them, which means DDSopt's filtered normals are always as if you make a lower-resolution normal-map directly from the mesh.

Ideally they would be better than what was previously in the texture files. That makes sense' date=' I just didn't realize DDSopt does this.[/quote']

Yes' date=' that's correct. I use an "Infinite" Response Filter for calculating the mips. "Infinite" in quotes because of course in computers everything is finite, but I fe. do an exact average of all of the texture for the 1x1 mip, not an average of the upper 2x2 mip, which means the response-length (the width) is all of the available input, which makes it practically identical to a real IIR. The reason is that textures are stored as integers with limited precision, and it is actually theoretically possible to get a black 1x1 mip from a bright texture when each successive mip->to->mip down-filter rounds down and thus gets a fraction darker each time. I also filter normal-maps in R^3 (3D-space), and do exact algebra on them, which means DDSopt's filtered normals are always as if you make a lower-resolution normal-map directly from the mesh.[/quote']

Now this is some good info .. please give me a couple of days to get all of this organized in the OP before I post more Q&A stuff :P

The blood is weird, is the screen-effect blood of Crimson Tide good now? Means, did I include the right file in the .ini?

Anyway, you know you can use the ini like it's yours I hope, if you want to make a STEP one feel free to, and distribute it (or I add it to the archive or the Nexus-list).

Here's what I did (I realized my previous post didn't mention the other two "normal-maps" settings in Constraints).

All textures, EXCEPT Normal maps:

- Setup Behave, Apply, Ignore, Compression, Settings, and Constraints per z929669's Post # 430

- Process

ONLY Normal maps:

- Changed only Constraints as follows:

- Model-space normal-maps: R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Tangent-space normal-maps: R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Tangent-space normal-maps with specularity: A8R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Resolution-limit: 1024x1024 (for normal maps 2048x2048) or 512x512 (for normal maps 1024x1024)

- Filter *_n.dds files (include only those and no others) per z's suggestion

- Process

I tried this and ended up clouds (?) flickering, and lantern lights in Riften flickering.  Reloaded, same thing.  Reverted the Vanilla and no more problems.

Specifically, I only did the "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" file.  Here's what I did.

1. Downloaded DDSopt 8.0pre3 from Nexus.

2. For Input, selected "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" from the Skyrim Data directory.

3. For Ouptut, selected "Skyrim - Textures - DDSopt.bsa".

For the pass, I continued on with:

4. Configured it as per Z's post #430

5. Filtered for *.*, Apply, Select All (green arrow)

6. Filtered for *_n.dds, Apply, Deselect All (red X)

7. Process

For the second pass, I continued on with:

8. Configured as per PCG4m3r's post #450, using the 512x512 for the two resolution limits

9. Filtered for *.*, Apply, Deselect All (red X)

10. Filtered for *_n.dds, Apply, Select All (green arrow)

11. Process

I concluded by backing up the original .bsa and renaming the generated .bsa from the above steps.

I'm coming at this with a very plebeian understanding of graphics, textures, etc.  Try as I might, I keep getting some form of corruption (:img images in books, purple blacksmith irons, or in this instance, flickering lanterns).

Here's what I did (I realized my previous post didn't mention the other two "normal-maps" settings in Constraints).

All textures, EXCEPT Normal maps:

- Setup Behave, Apply, Ignore, Compression, Settings, and Constraints per z929669's Post # 430

- Process

ONLY Normal maps:

- Changed only Constraints as follows:

- Model-space normal-maps: R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Tangent-space normal-maps: R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Tangent-space normal-maps with specularity: A8R8G8B8 (1:1, lossless)

- Resolution-limit: 1024x1024 (for normal maps 2048x2048) or 512x512 (for normal maps 1024x1024)

- Filter *_n.dds files (include only those and no others) per z's suggestion

- Process

I tried this and ended up clouds (?) flickering, and lantern lights in Riften flickering.  Reloaded, same thing.  Reverted the Vanilla and no more problems.

Specifically, I only did the "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" file.  Here's what I did.

1. Downloaded DDSopt 8.0pre3 from Nexus.

2. For Input, selected "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" from the Skyrim Data directory.

3. For Ouptut, selected "Skyrim - Textures - DDSopt.bsa".

For the pass, I continued on with:

4. Configured it as per Z's post #430

5. Filtered for *.*, Apply, Select All (green arrow)

6. Filtered for *_n.dds, Apply, Deselect All (red X)

7. Process

For the second pass, I continued on with:

8. Configured as per PCG4m3r's post #450, using the 512x512 for the two resolution limits

9. Filtered for *.*, Apply, Deselect All (red X)

10. Filtered for *_n.dds, Apply, Select All (green arrow)

11. Process

I concluded by backing up the original .bsa and renaming the generated .bsa from the above steps.

I'm coming at this with a very plebeian understanding of graphics, textures, etc.  Try as I might, I keep getting some form of corruption (:img images in books, purple blacksmith irons, or in this instance, flickering lanterns).

The recommended settings are not  NOW on the wiki (see OP).

You will need to go into your textures folder(s) and isolate the textures containing the anomolies and post screens and texture names here. I don't have any of these experiences ... perhaps your lighting/ENB mods are bringing this out? I have heard of issues with RCRN and DDSopt-ed vanilla textures.

The recommended settings are not NOW on the wiki (see OP).

You will need to go into your textures folder(s) and isolate the textures containing the anomolies and post screens and texture names here. I don't have any of these experiences ... perhaps your lighting/ENB mods are bringing this out? I have heard of issues with RCRN and DDSopt-ed vanilla textures.

The link for "recommended settings" takes you to the wiki and the other links contain no information about program settings. I used the settings on the wiki because I thought you already had or were going to update that information. :unsure:

z,

I updated my Post 450 (https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=16394#pid16394) to refer to the OP / Wiki Guide for proper settings and to hopefully reduce confusion. I also changed the suggested settings to reduce normal maps per your recent reply to my PM. I thought it would be good for others to have that info.

Take a look when you have time, to ensure it's accurate, and if you think it makes things more confusing, I can certainly edit it further or maybe it should be deleted? I don't want to mislead anyone.