Potential sources of Light LOD issues?

Hi guys, I've been having an issue related to the way distant light appears on mountainous rocks and trees, and I have no idea what potential sources might include. I am happy to share my modlist and any relevant DynDOLOD settings, but first I thought I'd share an image of the issue so that if there's a simple cause/fix, someone could let me know. In the attached image, the rock formation to the right is demonstrating the problem I'm having - interestingly, using the "Fix LOD" action from the MCM of LOD Unloading Bug Fix does remove the weird jagged light objects, but eventually they return if I travel far enough in game.

Let me know if there's anything else you need, and thanks in advance!

ScreenShot1.png

8 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I doubt this is LOD but use tll at the console to toggle LOD off to verify.

Will do - it sorta appears at random, no idea what actually triggers it, so I'll go looking for more and report back.

7 hours ago, z929669 said:

I doubt this is LOD but use tll at the console to toggle LOD off to verify.

Yep, it's LOD related after all, good call; note the trees in this video: https://streamable.com/64ivk2

I wonder if it's the snow in particular causing it? Let me know what might be helpful to upload (like modlist, DynDOLOD logs, etc) - currently using DynDOLOD 3 (Alpha-128 and most up-to-date Resources), Dyndolod NG dll (Alpha-6), Happy Little Trees and the DynDOLOD Add-On for it.

This probably accounts for why the LOD Unloading Fix resolves the issue (temporarily).

EDIT:
It seems, upon closer inspection, the LOD Unloading Fix doesn't actually even resolve it temporarily - if I hit the "Fix LOD" option and then walk even a hundred or so feet, the bug can be seen on trees again.

Edited by S-Matrix

7 hours ago, S-Matrix said:

Yep, it's LOD related after all, good call; note the trees in this video: https://streamable.com/64ivk2

I wonder if it's the snow in particular causing it? Let me know what might be helpful to upload (like modlist, DynDOLOD logs, etc) - currently using DynDOLOD 3 (Alpha-128 and most up-to-date Resources), Dyndolod NG dll (Alpha-6), Happy Little Trees and the DynDOLOD Add-On for it.

This probably accounts for why the LOD Unloading Fix resolves the issue (temporarily).

EDIT:
It seems, upon closer inspection, the LOD Unloading Fix doesn't actually even resolve it temporarily - if I hit the "Fix LOD" option and then walk even a hundred or so feet, the bug can be seen on trees again.

What are your values for the following in SkyrimPrefs.ini?

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance=?
fBlockLevel1Distance=?
fBlockMaximumDistance=?
fSplitDistanceMult=?
fTreeLoadDistance=?

7 hours ago, z929669 said:

What are your values for the following in SkyrimPrefs.ini?

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance=?
fBlockLevel1Distance=?
fBlockMaximumDistance=?
fSplitDistanceMult=?
fTreeLoadDistance=?

Thanks for sticking with this - here are my settings:

[TerrainManager]
bShowLODInEditor=1
fBlockLevel0Distance=58000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=100000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=200000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.1000
fTreeLoadDistance=70000.0000

I've also attached my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files, in case a complete lookover would be helpful!

SkyrimPrefs.ini Skyrim.ini

14 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF) is precisely the maximum value of an unsigned 32-bit number, or -1 converted to an unsigned 32-bit number. I wonder how it ended up in there :)

Probably somebody on the internet.

@S-Matrix Use BethINI to get your INIs cleaned up with relevant and tested values for everything. See these instructions on configuring. You can choose High or Ultra if you want to push your system.

8 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Actually, I bet this is the problem:

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[General]
uLargeRefLODGridSize=4294967295

That is an absolutely absurd value to set large references to load. Change it to 9 or 11.

WOW, I didn't even notice that - not that I really would've known to look for it, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the actual mechanisms behind LOD, but I can tell you I certainly did not set it to that manually. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

5 hours ago, z929669 said:

Probably somebody on the internet.

@S-Matrix Use BethINI to get your INIs cleaned up with relevant and tested values for everything. See these instructions on configuring. You can choose High or Ultra if you want to push your system.

Will do!

6 hours ago, MisterMorden said:

:amazed:

Exactly my reaction when I saw this haha

Edited by S-Matrix
  • Like 1