Tree LOD generation?

So i made a new tree, a replacement forTreeMapleForest1.

In Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees i have TreeMapleForest1_LOD.nif and in textures/LOD  i dropped the 3 textures which it points to.

Is this enough for xlodgen (which is the correct one to use i guess?) i started it but treelod generation is greyed out.

Many thanks! 

and yes.. i read the readme which points to Step Modifications 404 which is dead. 

11 hours ago, vurt said:

So i made a new tree, a replacement forTreeMapleForest1.

In Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees i have TreeMapleForest1_LOD.nif and in textures/LOD  i dropped the 3 textures which it points to.

Is this enough for xlodgen (which is the correct one to use i guess?) i started it but treelod generation is greyed out.

Many thanks! 

and yes.. i read the readme which points to Step Modifications 404 which is dead. 

Not sure what ReadMe you are talking about, but this is the corrected link.

That topic might have some relevant recent posts, but the xLODGen topic is what you want, I think.

@DoubleYou has been working on FO4 LOD for a while now, so he will likely have some good insights.

Thanks again! It was the link in the readme for xlodgen, and yes that seems to be the correct link. 

37 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Not sure what ReadMe you are talking about, but this is the corrected link.

That topic might have some relevant recent posts, but the xLODGen topic is what you want, I think.

@DoubleYou has been working on FO4 LOD for a while now, so he will likely have some good insights.

@vurt has been corresponding with me over PM, but here is some info regarding the mentioned tree model.

Fallout 4 includes two sets of LOD assets for TreeMapleForest1. You have the asset you replaced in...

Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees\TreeMapleForest1_LOD.nif

which is actually an old, unused model that Bethesda left in the folder just to confuse people.

The actual LOD models for this tree are as follows:

• Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees\Maple\TreeMapleForest1_LOD_0.nif
  • Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees\Maple\TreeMapleForest1_LOD_1.nif
  • Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees\Maple\TreeMapleForest1_LOD_2.nif
  • Meshes\LOD\Landscape\Trees\Maple\TreeMapleForest1_LOD_3.nif

Of note, replacing vanilla tree models, as I have mentioned to Vurt in my PM, is not really feasible in Fallout 4, due to the game's precombine system, which precombines most references, including most trees, into a precombined mesh, which cannot be replaced without regenerating the precombines (immensely difficult process that will conflict with tons of mods), or disabling precombines (which tanks performance). It is for this reason that most tree authors for Fallout 4 simply add new tree models and simply place the new ones throughout the Commonwealth at reasonable locations. Sometimes they replace the vanilla tree textures too, which can be done very easily.