Far Object LOD Improvement Project SSE (by DoubleYou)

DoubleYou

Re-ran TexGen and DynDOLOD(3) Gen with this enabled with the already established LOD rules for generation. It generated the files just fine and I didn't noticed it taking longer than usual nor did it throw up any errors.

In-game I haven't noticed any "weirdness" so far. The roads were nicely painted on the world map. Haven't been to Blackreach, so I haven't seen the mushrooms on the map there for example.

If I understood corrected, the FOLIP plugin is only used for generation, so for clarity, I would suggest installing the mod as "(TEMP) Far Objects Improvement Project", like the Cathedral LodGen etc. if it gets accepted. And I don't see why it shouldn't be.

FOLIP does overwrite some files in DynDOLOD Resources SE 3 however.  So, disabling FOLIP after LOD generation "re-enables" these files in DynDOLOD Resources SE 3.  So does this mean that DynDOLOD Resources SE 3 can be disabled as well?  Or is DynDOLOD Resources SE 3 left enabled because of other files within the mod?

Actually, I think I should walk back my comment about the ability to safely disable it. I think that Dynamic LOD might utilize the resources. Sheson specifically states to leave resources enabled in his instructions:

Any resources or requirements that were installed need to stay active in the load order after LOD generation as well.

https://dyndolod.info/Installation-Instructions

However, the dummy plugin can be safely disabled if you like. But why do it when it's esl-flagged?

30 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

LOOT notes this mod as an 'empty mod', xEdit shows me a file header and otherwise no file entries. Is it intented to work like this?

Yes. See the mod description. I believe the plugin is an ESL dummy to load the corresponding INI, so it's needed and costs no overhead.

1 hour ago, Eliian said:

Looks good. The roads look proper and appear less muddy than before.

Yeah, it's not that noticeable, but because I properly scaled the UVs within 0.0 - 1.0 scale, I don't have to tile the road texture, so it's higher resolution. I also did some tweaks to eliminate (as much as possible) z-fighting against the terrain lod.

• 1 year later...

Howdy DoubleYou,

First of all, Merry Christmas (or whichever flavor you prefer).

Now, I have been using FOLIP since it came out and haven't had any issues with it. I leave the ESL activated after LOD generation, etc. Recently, and slightly before the new Skyrim update dropped, I have started to notice odd things. I hadn't changed any mods or installed new ones. It was on a regular play through.

What started happening is that there appears to be a floating texture over the roads. So the road is where it should be on the ground, but above it there is a kind of fuzzy texture with a road texture. See the pic.

enb2023_12_25_16_31_01.bmp

I did some investigating of course and after checking the mods with this NIF (blended roads, blended roads redone SE, Skurbro landscape),I came to the conclusion that it is most likely caused by FOLIP?

The NIF I specifically traced is RoadchunkL02.nif. Changing the actual NIF didn't do anything. I then disabled FOLIP and the texture was where it should be (on the ground). Hence why I think the LOD NIF (RoadchunkL02_lod_0.nif) is causing this issue. Which is really odd since I haven't change anything at all. I regenerated textures and LODs multiple times to check to make sure and it only happens when I have FOLIP installed.

Do you perhaps have an idea what could be causing this?

7 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Howdy DoubleYou,

First of all, Merry Christmas (or whichever flavor you prefer).

Now, I have been using FOLIP since it came out and haven't had any issues with it. I leave the ESL activated after LOD generation, etc. Recently, and slightly before the new Skyrim update dropped, I have started to notice odd things. I hadn't changed any mods or installed new ones. It was on a regular play through.

What started happening is that there appears to be a floating texture over the roads. So the road is where it should be on the ground, but above it there is a kind of fuzzy texture with a road texture. See the pic.

enb2023_12_25_16_31_01.bmp 2.64 MB · 3 downloads

I did some investigating of course and after checking the mods with this NIF (blended roads, blended roads redone SE, Skurbro landscape),I came to the conclusion that it is most likely caused by FOLIP?

The NIF I specifically traced is RoadchunkL02.nif. Changing the actual NIF didn't do anything. I then disabled FOLIP and the texture was where it should be (on the ground). Hence why I think the LOD NIF (RoadchunkL02_lod_0.nif) is causing this issue. Which is really odd since I haven't change anything at all. I regenerated textures and LODs multiple times to check to make sure and it only happens when I have FOLIP installed.

Do you perhaps have an idea what could be causing this?

Looks like stuck object LOD bug to me.

On 12/26/2023 at 12:25 AM, DoubleYou said:

Looks like stuck object LOD bug to me.

and it looks like you were correct. I read up on this stuck object LOD, which I had never heard about. So I checked my settings for DynDOLOD and there was one setting for "roadchunk" that didn't have a setting for LOD32. I set it at Level3 like other road settings. And boom... it all looks good again. Thanks!

• +1 1