DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

7 hours ago, sheson said:

LOD models are lower quality version of full  models. Hence LOD is lower quality than full models.
DynDOLOD Resources does not change or replace the vanilla LOD models for icebergs and glaciers. It adds a few new LOD models that were missing.
Typically icebergs and glaciers use pre-rendered LOD textures that TexGen can not yet generate automatically,
xLODGen/DynDOLOD simply use the LOD models and LOD textures that are currently installed in the load orders. So typically vanilla, unless a mod replaces them.

Changing the distances for the different LOD models, does not change the quality of the LOD models.

If you know the reference from id of an iceberg you can look it up in ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Object_Report.txt to see which LOD models were used and found for the different LOD levels.

Since you are posting  in the DynDOLOD 3 alpha thread, I have to ask:  Is there any difference compared to how LOD is generated with DynDOLOD 2.96?

Oh interesting, okay, that explains why the icebergs/glaciers from the other mod weren't having decent LOD show up for them, as none were included with that mod.

I found the section for the iceberg in the pic, I'm just not sure what I could do from there other than see which LODs were used, which I assume are vanilla since the glacier mod I used doesn't include LODs. What would be the best next step?

For what it's worth I'm liking 3.00 a lot, i have some experience generating LOD with dyndolod/xlodgen before, but I've been having better LODs and an easier time generating it than with earlier dyndolod versions. Thanks for the work on this :)

EDIT: so I think DynDOLOD resources has its own version of glacierslablod.dds that's lower resolution (1/2 or 1/3 the size I think) than HD LODs which I'm also using, but DynDOLOD resources was overwriting with the lower-res file, but all the other LOD textures from HD lods were winning, so that might be why those glaciers are standing out. Rerunning LOD gen with HD LOD's glacierslablod.dds winning and will see how it goes.

EDIT 2: that seems to have worked.

Edited by tweedledumb99

5 hours ago, sheson said:

LOD models are lower quality version of full  models. Hence LOD is lower quality than full models.
DynDOLOD Resources does not change or replace the vanilla LOD models for icebergs and glaciers. It adds a few new LOD models that were missing.
Typically icebergs and glaciers use pre-rendered LOD textures that TexGen can not yet generate automatically,
xLODGen/DynDOLOD simply use the LOD models and LOD textures that are currently installed in the load orders. So typically vanilla, unless a mod replaces them.

Changing the distances for the different LOD models, does not change the quality of the LOD models.

If you know the reference from id of an iceberg you can look it up in ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Object_Report.txt to see which LOD models were used and found for the different LOD levels.

Since you are posting  in the DynDOLOD 3 alpha thread, I have to ask:  Is there any difference compared to how LOD is generated with DynDOLOD 2.96?

also, does this mean that i'd need to rerun dyndolod/xlodgen to properly use the LOD for glaciers/icebergs included with a mod (e.g. northern ice or glorious glaciers)?

2 hours ago, tweedledumb99 said:

Oh interesting, okay, that explains why the icebergs/glaciers from the other mod weren't having decent LOD show up for them, as none were included with that mod.

I found the section for the iceberg in the pic, I'm just not sure what I could do from there other than see which LODs were used, which I assume are vanilla since the glacier mod I used doesn't include LODs. What would be the best next step?

For what it's worth I'm liking 3.00 a lot, i have some experience generating LOD with dyndolod/xlodgen before, but I've been having better LODs and an easier time generating it than with earlier dyndolod versions. Thanks for the work on this :)

EDIT: so I think DynDOLOD resources has its own version of glacierslablod.dds that's lower resolution (1/2 or 1/3 the size I think) than HD LODs which I'm also using, but DynDOLOD resources was overwriting with the lower-res file, but all the other LOD textures from HD lods were winning, so that might be why those glaciers are standing out. Rerunning LOD gen with HD LOD's glacierslablod.dds winning and will see how it goes.

DynDOLOD Rseources include the 256x256 vanilla version from DLC to overwrite the 128x128 vanilla version of the base game for glacierslablod.dds
However, there are a few more vanilla pre-rendered glacier textures used by the models, that neither DynDOLOD Resources/TexGen.
HD LODs is supposed to be loaded after DynDOLOD Resources, it should cover those other textures as well.

If there are no (better) LOD models available one option is to create them. Another is to try to use the full model for the first LOD level via mesh rules. Since glaciers and iceberg use parallax shaders, that might not work out well, because LOD does not support all shader options. In that case, so as a last simple resort you could try copying the full models to LOD model filenames and then edit the shader settings in NifSkope to the default shader and see if you need custom textures or can somehow mimic things somewhat they look acceptable. The problem is that the full really ice look very different depending on lighting and with the default shader it is impossible to exactly replicate that for all conditions.

The LOD file name to copy to is typically full model_lod_0.nif, so meshes\landscape\ice\iceberglarge.nif to meshes\lod\ice\iceberglarge_lod_0.nif

LOD is generated for the current load order. If there are changes to objects placements or the LOD resources and you notice the LOD not matching anymore, generate LOD again for the new load order.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

DynDOLOD Rseources include the 256x256 vanilla version from DLC to overwrite the 128x128 vanilla version of the base game for glacierslablod.dds
However, there are a few more vanilla pre-rendered glacier textures used by the models, that neither DynDOLOD Resources/TexGen.
HD LODs is supposed to be loaded after DynDOLOD Resources, it should cover those other textures as well.

If there are no (better) LOD models available one option is to create them. Another is to try to use the full model for the first LOD level via mesh rules. Since glaciers and iceberg use parallax shaders, that might not work out well, because LOD does not support all shader options. In that case, so as a last simple resort you could try copying the full models to LOD model filenames and then edit the shader settings in NifSkope to the default shader and see if you need custom textures or can somehow mimic things somewhat they look acceptable. The problem is that the full really ice look very different depending on lighting and with the default shader it is impossible to exactly replicate that for all conditions.

The LOD file name to copy to is typically full model_lod_0.nif, so meshes\landscape\ice\iceberglarge.nif to meshes\lod\ice\iceberglarge_lod_0.nif

LOD is generated for the current load order. If there are changes to objects placements or the LOD resources and you notice the LOD not matching anymore, generate LOD again for the new load order.

thanks for explaining this, tried that based on someone's suggestions for waterfall LOD brightness at night and it worked well, though like you say, sounds like snow/ice shaders for LOD vs. full model will be a different sort of problem.

and good to know HD LODs is supposed to be loaded lower hah! wooooops. thanks for the help on this Sheson.

Getting some performance degradation using this with grasscache. Setting grasscache Dyndolod mode to 1 (# 1 = Display grass only in active cells (without fade) and let DynDOLOD handle inactive cell Grass ) and at the coast when ,presumably I'm loading a new ocean cell, i get freezes for 5-8 seconds while it loads.....nothing? Running through Whiterun plains has no stuttering at all.

Is there something else I need to set in the Dyndolod ini or settings to help with this? Or any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

10 minutes ago, Illana said:

Getting some performance degradation using this with grasscache. Setting grasscache Dyndolod mode to 1 (# 1 = Display grass only in active cells (without fade) and let DynDOLOD handle inactive cell Grass ) and at the coast when ,presumably I'm loading a new ocean cell, i get freezes for 5-8 seconds while it loads.....nothing? Running through Whiterun plains has no stuttering at all.

Is there something else I need to set in the Dyndolod ini or settings to help with this? Or any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

Why do you believe this has something to do with DynDOLOD? Sounds like something is loading or maybe No Grass In Objects is generating grass / cgid files while new cells attach. Check its INI settings.

What is "inactive cell grass"? Grass LOD is generated into object LOD meshes. TexGen typically does not generate grass LOD billboards for underwater grass. By default everything below the water is removed from object LOD as well. LOD meshes are always loaded. LOD segments are disabled for cells that are attached.

3 minutes ago, sheson said:

Why do you believe this has something to do with DynDOLOD? Sounds like something is loading or maybe No Grass In Objects is generating grass / cgid files while new cells attach. Check its INI settings.

What is "inactive cell grass"? Grass LOD is generated into object LOD meshes. TexGen typically does not generate grass LOD billboards for underwater grass. By default everything below the water is removed from object LOD as well. LOD meshes are always loaded. LOD segments are disabled for cells that are attached.

Nvm i disabled no grass and it removed the stuttering. I wonder why it has so much trouble with ocean cells though :/

38 minutes ago, Illana said:

Nvm i disabled no grass and it removed the stuttering. I wonder why it has so much trouble with ocean cells though :/

Did you precache grass and set both NGIO 'cache' settings to 'True'? This should all be resolvable, as not using NGIO seems inadvisable even without DynDOLOD. We are currently preparing instructions for all of this and for grass LOD configuration with our next guide iteration. For the time being, you should read the NGIO nexus pages and post over there for help.

The OpenGL rendering is running out of video memory.

Typically it is using the first graphics card found in the system. Looks like it is using an integrated graphics card. If there is no real graphics card available, maybe try to allow for more video memory through driver or hardware settings if possible. Make sure to close all other process that might use video or system memory at the same time.

Otherwise try setting MaxMultiSamples=4 or lower in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_SSE.INI or lower the texture size for rendered object LOD textures.

A firewall controls network traffic. None of the tools use a network connection.

I have no idea how to allow for more video memory so I set the MaxMultiSamples=4 and halved the texture size and it is running fine now! Hopefully everything comes out looking decent (I'm not really a screenarcher, I just want it for normal gameplay so it should be fine)

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Sheson,

First of all, thank you for the work you put into these awesome tools.

I am having some issues with the Winterhold College LODs, TexGen and .bto outputs seem to be fine, but in-game the college itself doesn't appear until I am extremely close, and then disappears again as I leave.

Logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LAC1g0vczcBEASa5nI5NSuD0nZ-U5C9E?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 hours ago, Shredxt said:

Hi Sheson,

First of all, thank you for the work you put into these awesome tools.

I am having some issues with the Winterhold College LODs, TexGen and .bto outputs seem to be fine, but in-game the college itself doesn't appear until I am extremely close, and then disappears again as I leave.

Logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LAC1g0vczcBEASa5nI5NSuD0nZ-U5C9E?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please disregard, after hours of pulling my hair out in xEdit and looking for conflicts, it was ini related.

6 hours ago, Shredxt said:

Please disregard, after hours of pulling my hair out in xEdit and looking for conflicts, it was ini related.

I would assume it hat to do with the large reference grid, right?

Hi gang (and Sheson). I've suffered in silence on this one for a while as I tried to figure out a solution on my own, but I just haven't been able to make any progress because I'm still fairly new to modding.

(My logs are linked here, but I've boiled the issue down as best I can below, in case you don't want to slog through them): DynDOLOD Logs

My problem is that whenever I run DynDOLOD (3.00 Alpha33), I get literally hundreds of warning messages, mostly of two types. I'm hoping someone can tell me in relatively simple terms what these warnings mean.

1) I get hundreds of "Warning: Overwritten large reference in..." messages, mostly relating to environment mods -- JK's Skyrim, The Borders of Skyrim, Realistic Water Two, Depths of Skyrim, and a few others. A couple examples: 

<Warning: Overwritten large reference in JKs Skyrim.esp [REFR:00012DF6] (places Farmhouse02 [STAT:00000846] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of Riverwood04 [CELL:00009731] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 5,-12))>

<Warning: Overwritten large reference in tposcthebordersofskyrim.esp [REFR:000EE3F7] (places MountainTrim01_LightSN [STAT:00030204] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of [CELL:000090B2] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 25,8))>

2) I also get dozens of "Warning: Initially disabled large reference in..." messages, all related to Realistic Water Two. One example:

<Warning: Initially disabled large reference in RealisticWaterTwo - Resources.esm [REFR:000BB9E9] (places RockCliff02Rocks01 [STAT:0002BABB] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of [CELL:000090D2] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 24,7))>

I've been able to successfully generate DynDOLOD output in the past without any issues at all, and I can't figure out what's changed since then. Also, everything *seems* to be working fine in-game -- good LODs, minimal pop-in, nothing out of the ordinary. But clearly there's some sort of error on my part.

Can someone who fully understands DynDOLOD (which I clearly do not) tell me what's happening to generate these warnings, so that I can set about trying to fix them? I feel like it's something really obvious that I'm doing wrong. Many, many thanks!