DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

Having a consistent CTD all of a sudden. Crash at game load, not at menu. No changes to plugins except some changes to weather. Crash logs all mention Dyndolod and each one has different other keywords, ex: NiNode, Lanterns of Skyrim II, AI Overhaul, etc.

No crash without Dyndolod.  Using the same Dyndolod preset I always have. Tried an older version but same crash. Same for all MO2 profiles and a new profile. Summary has the same messages it always has, which I still can't figure how to fix. But the game ran fine for months.

The only thing I noticed was a mention of an area out of bounds. 

Went to any relevant mod pages and checked posts, also Reddit, got no replies. So here I am.

There was no bug report. I can submit more of my 6 crash logs if needed.

Debug log since it is huge. https://ufile.io/amky7nxb   One of today's  crash logs  https://ufile.io/7klb9wob

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt crash-2023-10-24-04-09-48.log

33 minutes ago, mitzie92 said:

Having a consistent CTD all of a sudden. Crash at game load, not at menu. No changes to plugins except some changes to weather. Crash logs all mention Dyndolod and each one has different other keywords, ex: NiNode, Lanterns of Skyrim II, AI Overhaul, etc.

No crash without Dyndolod.  Using the same Dyndolod preset I always have. Tried an older version but same crash. Same for all MO2 profiles and a new profile. Summary has the same messages it always has, which I still can't figure how to fix. But the game ran fine for months.

The only thing I noticed was a mention of an area out of bounds. 

Went to any relevant mod pages and checked posts, also Reddit, got no replies. So here I am.

There was no bug report. I can submit more of my 6 crash logs if needed.

Debug log since it is huge. https://ufile.io/amky7nxb   One of today's  crash logs  https://ufile.io/7klb9wob

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt 2.59 MB · 0 downloads crash-2023-10-24-04-09-48.log 226.6 kB · 0 downloads

Enable/upload the papyrus log as explained at https://dyndolod.info/Help/Large-Reference-Bugs-Workarounds#Testing or https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs

Upload the c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\DynDOLOD.log as explained at https://dyndolod.info/Help/Large-Reference-Bugs-Workarounds#Testing

https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Worldspace-Bounds
https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Deleted-Reference
https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Root-Block

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Summary-Of-Messages
In case a specific message needs further explanation, help is required or to report a problem, search for or report it on the official DynDOLOD support forum.

If the order of plugins or their contents changed, generate LOD for the current load order. Could be unresolved form id in a DynDOLOD record after changing plugins.

Well I don't know where MO2 put the Papyrus logs but there not in Users or Documents. Just  some old ones from 2021. I checked the Skyrim ini's and made sure to enable logging but can't find them, even in search. Ran the game and of course, a crash. I'll have to continue to search.

45 minutes ago, mitzie92 said:

Well I don't know where MO2 put the Papyrus logs but there not in Users or Documents. Just  some old ones from 2021. I checked the Skyrim ini's and made sure to enable logging but can't find them, even in search. Ran the game and of course, a crash. I'll have to continue to search.

Make sure to edit the correct Skyrim.ini to enable logging for the currently used profile. MO2 menu Tools / Tool Plugin / INI Editor.

Also read the rest of my post.

On 10/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, Mousetick said:
  • Test 1: Same as previous test 1 where DynDOLOD DLL attempts to disable 7D3022EC several times unsuccessfully. Papyrus log doesn't contain anything of interest: Papyrus.0.log.7z

Any idea why the reference fails to disable?

Then I made 2 new cleaned saves (one inside Honningbrew Meadeary, load-door within FarGrid, the other inside Frostfruit Inn, load-door outside FarGrid) and did all the tests you suggested. Everything worked fine and as expected, so I'll skip the details.

I thought the issue is not with the initial enabling of the initially disabled dynamic LOD, rather at some point the dynamic LOD should be disabled but is not for some reason and this leaves it into a "wonky" state. Then I thought about possible scenarios that might cause this. And I was able to reproduce it from scratch, yeah!

Make sure you're seated comfortably because this is a bit convoluted.

• I use the Clockwork mod. It provides a teleportation system in the form of access terminals at each city and a central hub. To fast-travel from one city to another, one enters the departure terminal, teleports to the hub, then from the hub teleports to the destination terminal. Each terminal and the hub are separate interior cells.
  • The Whiterun terminal is located near the Whiterun gates. Its load-door is within the FarGrid containing 7D3022EC, but outside the NearGrid.
  • The Windhelm terminal is located at the Windhelm docks. Its load-door is obviously outside the FarGrid containing 7D3022EC.

The steps I used to reproduce:

1. Load clean save with DynDOLOD plugins enabled, inside Honningbrew Meadery.
  2. Exit the meadery. 7D3022EC Initially Disabled -> Enabled.
  3. Go to the Whiterun teleportation terminal and enter it. 7D3022EC still Enabled.
  4. Teleport to Clockwork Hub. 7D3022EC still Enabled.
  5. Teleport to Windhelm terminal. 7D3022EC still Enabled.
  6. Exit Windhelm terminal. We're now in Tamriel on the Windhelm Docks, very far from the Whiterun Watchtower. 7D3022EC still Enabled.
  7. Re-enter Windhelm terminal. Teleport to Hub then back to Whiterun terminal. Exit Whiterun terminal. 7D3022EC still Enabled.
  8. Walk to the Whiterun Watchtower. 7D3022EC still Enabled. And same disabling failures as before:
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Disable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Disable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif

There are about twice as many disabling attempts compared to test 1 so I guess DynDOLOD tried to disable it on two occasions, but I have no idea when the first one occurred. Perhaps step 6? I guess I can rerun the test and quit after step 6 to confirm.

Thanks.

There is really no reason why going into interiors and come out somewhere else should affect references in any way.

I installed both mods, enabled the terminal in order to be able to recreate the steps but can not reproduce the problem.

The references are disabled when entering Tamriel from the Windhelm terminal. When going back through the terminal and entering Tamriel from the Whiterun terminal, they enable and then disable when walking to the tower as expected.
The dynamic LOD references do not have any connections to mods/plugins, so there are no direct relationships to other plugins/records, like for example the enable parent in Environs - Whiterun Watchtower.esp that could have an effect.

Can you test/confirm that you can disable the reference from console after entering Tamriel from the Windhelm terminal? Does this have an affect on subsequent travels?

Is there anything different in the behavior or DynDOLOD.log when using this version? https://mega.nz/file/ZIZxAA6J#GvwoZvriC0gSQcn_luqB0QcsksBSuJhZqVsGpV1dOW0

3 hours ago, sheson said:

The dynamic LOD references do not have any connections to mods/plugins, so there are no direct relationships to other plugins/records, like for example the enable parent in Environs - Whiterun Watchtower.esp that could have an effect.

I agree. There is nothing special about Environs - Whiterun Watchtower, it's a red herring. It just so happens that it produces a bunch of dynamic LOD references that are enabled and then fail to disable after a specific sequence of events and under specific conditions that remain to be determined. The same issue could probably be reproduced with any other enabled dynamic LOD reference, using the same sequence of events under the same conditions.

Is there anything different in the behavior or DynDOLOD.log when using this version?

This made no difference at all.

Can you test/confirm that you can disable the reference from console after entering Tamriel from the Windhelm terminal?

Yes. Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Spoiler
Reading file Data/SKSE/Plugins/DynDOLOD_Data/DynDOLOD_NG_Worlds.txt
Reading file Data/SKSE/Plugins/DynDOLOD_Data/DynDOLOD_NG_Tamriel.txt
# Exit Whiterun meadery
# Approach Whiterun watchtower (Disable succeeds)
# Go to Whiterun terminal
# Enter Whiterun terminal and teleport to Windhelm
# Exit Windhelm terminal (Disable fails)
# Manually disable 7D3022EC in console
# Enter Windhelm terminal and teleport to Whiterun
# Exit Whiterun terminal (Enable succeeds, but repeated 3 times?)
# Approach Whiterun watchtower (Disable succeeds)

Does this have an affect on subsequent travels?

No. Repeating the same travel again after "fixing" the reference by manually disabling it in the console, results in the same failure. Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Spoiler
# Enter Whiterun terminal, teleport to Windhelm
# Exit Windhem terminal (Disable fails)
# Manually disable 7D3022EC in console
# Enter Windhelm terminal, teleport to Whiterun
# Exit Whiterun terminal
# Enter Whiterun terminal, teleport to Windhelm
# Exit Windhelm terminal (Disable fails again)

Other points to consider:

• I chose Windhelm for my test, but I confirmed that the same failure occurred when travelling from Whiterun to the Solitude terminal. I suspect other destinations would fail in the same way.
  • Once the dynamic LOD reference is in the 'failed disable' state, it remains that way forever (unless manually disabled in console) and its failed state persists in the (co)save files across sessions.
  • If you can't reproduce there is probably another factor/mod/component involved. TBD.

Thanks.

Update: I just reproduced the issue by simply taking the carriage from Whiterun to Windhelm. Duh.

I should have tried the simplest way to fast travel first instead of seeking the most convoluted one. My apologies for making you install Clockwork and wasting your time with it.

59 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I agree. There is nothing special about Environs - Whiterun Watchtower, it's a red herring. It just so happens that it produces a bunch of dynamic LOD references that are enabled and then fail to disable after a specific sequence of events and under specific conditions that remain to be determined. The same issue could probably be reproduced with any other enabled dynamic LOD reference, using the same sequence of events under the same conditions.

This made no difference at all.

Yes. Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Reveal hidden contents

No. Repeating the same travel again after "fixing" the reference by manually disabling it in the console, results in the same failure. Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Reveal hidden contents

Other points to consider:

• I chose Windhelm for my test, but I confirmed that the same failure occurred when travelling from Whiterun to the Solitude terminal. I suspect other destinations would fail in the same way.
  • Once the dynamic LOD reference is in the 'failed disable' state, it remains that way forever (unless manually disabled in console) and its failed state persists in the (co)save files across sessions.
  • If you can't reproduce there is probably another factor/mod/component involved. TBD.

Thanks.

Update: I just reproduced the issue by simply taking the carriage from Whiterun to Windhelm. Duh.

I should have tried the simplest way to fast travel first instead of seeking the most convoluted one. My apologies for making you install Clockwork and wasting your time with it.

Test/confirm that fast travel back and forth via the map or via console does not have the same problem as taking the carriage.

44 minutes ago, sheson said:

Test/confirm that fast travel back and forth via the map or via console does not have the same problem as taking the carriage.

• Fast travel from Whiterun with 7D3022EC enabled to Windhelm stables using the map: disable fails on arrival.
  • Fast travel from Whiterun with 7D3022EC enabled to WindhelmBridge01 using the console: disable fails on arrival.

Also, if I reload a save during the same session and the reference is already in 'failed state', it remains in failed state. For example, if it previously failed to disable so is still enabled, but the loaded save reset it to disabled, it fails to enable when it should.

Is there some kind of handle/proxy/wrapper in memory that keeps track of the reference or some kind of locking mechanism that could get out of whack?

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Mousetick said:
  • Fast travel from Whiterun with 7D3022EC enabled to Windhelm stables using the map: disable fails on arrival.
  • Fast travel from Whiterun with 7D3022EC enabled to WindhelmBridge01 using the console: disable fails on arrival.

Also, if I reload a save during the same session and the reference is already in 'failed state', it remains in failed state. For example, if it previously failed to disable so is still enabled, but the loaded save reset it to disabled, it fails to enable when it should.

Is there some kind of handle/proxy/wrapper in memory that keeps track of the reference or some kind of locking mechanism that could get out of whack?

Thanks.

If you start a new game from console or via a start mod there is no issue?

If you start a new game from console or via a start mod there is no issue?

I started a new game with ASLAL in Breezehome.

Initially all the stuff from Environs - Whiterun Watchtower Doesn't Stay Broken (what a mouthful, let's abbreviate into EWWDSB) is all OFF. In its place, there is all the stuff from Whiterun Watchtower Doesn't Start Broken (WWDSB), which does the same thing in reverse for the early game (before the dragon attack and the tower is destroyed). The WWDSB stuff is initially all enabled and then gets disabled during/after the dragon attack on the watchtower (Dragon Rising main quest).

• The dynamic LOD of WWDSB is successfully disabled when fast travelling.
  • I then manually enabled the Enable Parent of the EWWDSB stuff in the console.
  • The dynamic LOD of EWWDSB fails to disable when fast travelling.

I'm completely confused. This doesn't make any sense.

18 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I started a new game with ASLAL in Breezehome.

Initially all the stuff from Environs - Whiterun Watchtower Doesn't Stay Broken (what a mouthful, let's abbreviate into EWWDSB) is all OFF. In its place, there is all the stuff from Whiterun Watchtower Doesn't Start Broken (WWDSB), which does the same thing in reverse for the early game (before the dragon attack and the tower is destroyed). The WWDSB stuff is initially all enabled and then gets disabled during/after the dragon attack on the watchtower (Dragon Rising main quest).

• The dynamic LOD of WWDSB is successfully disabled when fast travelling.
  • I then manually enabled the Enable Parent of the EWWDSB stuff in the console.
  • The dynamic LOD of EWWDSB fails to disable when fast travelling.

I'm completely confused. This doesn't make any sense.

Technically there should be no difference between those dynamic LOD reference and how they are enabled/disabled.

Run this version https://mega.nz/file/xFpQTRAb#Lg5o8SRMDU0lnj4JY9DBG7H2b_oXSjwE4uTu1o0xZTQ
Check if the DynDOLOD log has "Disabled success? ..." and/or "Disabled failed? ..." messages.

Maybe try this: generate dynamic LOD only for the vanilla game and EWWDSB. Check if the problem still happens. If it does, test with vanilla INIs etc. If not, enable the rest of the load order to verify the problem still happens. If it does you can then start removing all other mods in to see what else might contribute to the problem.

18 hours ago, sheson said:

Check if the DynDOLOD log has "Disabled success? ..." and/or "Disabled failed? ..." messages.

Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Spoiler
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 40010C08 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# Approach watchtower by foot (dynamic LOD is effectively disabled)
Disable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 4001040A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Disabled success? - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 4001040A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# Move away
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 40010C0A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# Fast travel to Windhelm (after which point it's actually never disabled)
Disable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 4001040A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Disabled failed? - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 4001040A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Disabled success? - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 4001040A lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# At some point in this sequence, fast travel back to Whiterun
# Approach watchtower by foot

Note there is one occurrence of 'Disabled failed?'

18 hours ago, sheson said:

Maybe try this: ...

Yeah, that's a good idea, but I'm going to pass. Unless you'd like to try to keep troubleshooting with more debug versions of DynDOLOD.dll, I'm going to put this whole issue aside for now. It appears to be isolated to EWWDSB, and may be specific to my load order or configuration, so I don't think it's worth spending that much time into it. Aside from the dynamic LOD references remaining always enabled and the resulting visual glitches, there are no game-impacting side-effects. Perhaps I'll tackle your suggestions later when I have more time and nothing more important.

I have to say it's really strange and puzzling though. These references are defined in DynDOLOD.esp. I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing else touches or uses them. And they're no different in how they're defined in the plugin, compared to other dynamic LOD references.

I even tried disabling some big engine-level SKSE plugins (NetScript Framework, Bug Fixes SSE, Papyrus Tweaks NG, powerofthree's Tweaks, Scrambled Bugs, ...) which made no difference.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dynamic LOD failing to disable on fast travel (Continued)

I edited DynDOLOD_NG_Tamriel.txt and removed all 'Environs - Whiterun Watchtower.esp' entries, except the one for 3154668 (hex 3022EC). Now 7D3022EC disables and enables successfully on fast travel and DynDOLOD.log shows all 'Disabled success?'. I'm going to add them back in batches until it breaks again.

I don't understand why everything seemingly works fine when changing cells while moving by foot but doesn't when fast traveling. Is there a difference in how DynDOLOD.dll handles these 2 cases? Are dynamic LOD references disabled/enabled serially or all in parallel? If they're processed serially, is the order in which they are disabled/enabled always the same or random? If the order is constant, is it the order in which they are listed in DynDOLOD_NG_Tamriel.txt?

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Annotated DynDOLOD.log:

Reveal hidden contents

Note there is one occurrence of 'Disabled failed?'

Yeah, that's a good idea, but I'm going to pass. Unless you'd like to try to keep troubleshooting with more debug versions of DynDOLOD.dll, I'm going to put this whole issue aside for now. It appears to be isolated to EWWDSB, and may be specific to my load order or configuration, so I don't think it's worth spending that much time into it. Aside from the dynamic LOD references remaining always enabled and the resulting visual glitches, there are no game-impacting side-effects. Perhaps I'll tackle your suggestions later when I have more time and nothing more important.

I have to say it's really strange and puzzling though. These references are defined in DynDOLOD.esp. I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing else touches or uses them. And they're no different in how they're defined in the plugin, compared to other dynamic LOD references.

I even tried disabling some big engine-level SKSE plugins (NetScript Framework, Bug Fixes SSE, Papyrus Tweaks NG, powerofthree's Tweaks, Scrambled Bugs, ...) which made no difference.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dynamic LOD failing to disable on fast travel (Continued)

I edited DynDOLOD_NG_Tamriel.txt and removed all 'Environs - Whiterun Watchtower.esp' entries, except the one for 3154668 (hex 3022EC). Now 7D3022EC disables and enables successfully on fast travel and DynDOLOD.log shows all 'Disabled success?'. I'm going to add them back in batches until it breaks again.

I don't understand why everything seemingly works fine when changing cells while moving by foot but doesn't when fast traveling. Is there a difference in how DynDOLOD.dll handles these 2 cases? Are dynamic LOD references disabled/enabled serially or all in parallel? If they're processed serially, is the order in which they are disabled/enabled always the same or random? If the order is constant, is it the order in which they are listed in DynDOLOD_NG_Tamriel.txt?

Thanks.

Test with this version https://mega.nz/file/sFIAQD4Y#OvGeausKp63By1g43zcYLks585xW0yh7KNxz7X5hJ2c and check/upload DynDOLOD.log.

27 minutes ago, sheson said:

Test with this version https://mega.nz/file/sFIAQD4Y#OvGeausKp63By1g43zcYLks585xW0yh7KNxz7X5hJ2c and check/upload DynDOLOD.log.

Disables are not logged anymore:

Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 40010C08/00000040 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 48010C08/00000040 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# There should be one Disable here
Enable - Reference 7D3022EC Base 5A231849 Flags 40010C0A/00000040 lod\clutter\stockade\stockadegate01_lod_0.nif
# There should be at least one Disable here