DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 169

sheson

Thanks, i think it should be written in this part

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Object-LOD

that the color/britghness settings influence vertex colors in nifs, and not teexture atlas, hence it would avoid the confusion. I think most people would never guess that this happens, and then would get confused why after rebuilding atlas nothing has changed. 

Edit: Regenerating LODs takes too much time and make no sense for me, so i've just opened texture atlas, selected the grass lod subtexture and used channel mixer in photoshop to adjust these. Faster and it works for me. 

Edited by RainingTacco

15 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

Thanks, i think it should be written in this part

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Object-LOD

that the color/britghness settings influence vertex colors in nifs, and not teexture atlas, hence it would avoid the confusion. I think most people would never guess that this happens, and then would get confused why after rebuilding atlas nothing has changed. 

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Object-LOD explains how generic object LOD is generated and works in the game. 

The GrassBrightness* INI setting pertain to grass LOD generation specifically and thus are explained at https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD and right above in the INI.
The function of the INI settings and how to update grass LOD with different values is explained at https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD right were it matters.

Hey I just wanted to mention this incase anyone else might have had an issue with TexGen just crashing when it went to stage "Creating Textures" here is a quick 2 min video below of what it would look like when I tried to use TexGen and it crashed without producing any logs or debug log.

Because DynDOLOD website just says .NET Runtime 6 or newer for LODGenWin.exe/LODGenx64Win.exe as a requirement I had downloaded and installed both x86 and x64 versions of .NET Runtime 6.0.15 and I could not for the life of me get TexGen to do its thing without crashing without producing logs.

Soon as I installed both x86 and x64 versions of .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 TexGen runs and finishes without issue. Not sure why that happens but thought id mention it as I spent about 16 hours googling and searching this forum for solutions without success and I just happened to have the idea to try the other .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 x64 + x86 packages.

Edit: to Sheson and crew: thanks so much for making DynDOLOD! I cant play Skyrim AE without this as the game LOD just looks too ghetto and takes me out of the whole experience! 

Edited by Dersh
Complementary thanks for DynDOLOD crew

I've executed lodgen with 1,0,0 settings for grass brightness and couldn't see any increase in redness. Are there any comparison photos definitely showing red, green and blue grass when each channel is set to 1, and the rest to zero. I feel like the setting doesn't work properly, or maybe me selecting only object and then grass tickbox in dyndolod and run execute lodgen is not the proper way to do it. i wish there was a preview button like in texgen. 

6 hours ago, Dersh said:

Hey I just wanted to mention this incase anyone else might have had an issue with TexGen just crashing when it went to stage "Creating Textures" here is a quick 2 min video below of what it would look like when I tried to use TexGen and it crashed without producing any logs or debug log.

Because DynDOLOD website just says .NET Runtime 6 or newer for LODGenWin.exe/LODGenx64Win.exe as a requirement I had downloaded and installed both x86 and x64 versions of .NET Runtime 6.0.15 and I could not for the life of me get TexGen to do its thing without crashing without producing logs.

Soon as I installed both x86 and x64 versions of .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 TexGen runs and finishes without issue. Not sure why that happens but thought id mention it as I spent about 16 hours googling and searching this forum for solutions without success and I just happened to have the idea to try the other .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 x64 + x86 packages.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs and what to do in case there is are no log and debug log.

TexGen (xEdit/xLODGen/DynDOLOD) is a compiled Delphi Windows program. TexGen does not make any use of LODGen. That means that .NET is irrelevant to running TexGen. It seems possible that certain unnecessary and interfering crapware uses .NET.

The x86 versions of anything should be irrelevant when using the x64 version of the tools.

6 hours ago, sheson said:

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs and what to do in case there is are no log and debug log.

TexGen (xEdit/xLODgen/DynDOLOD) is a compiled Delphi Windows program. TexGen does not make any use of LODGen. That means that .NET is irrelevant to running TexGen. Is seems possible that certain unnecessary and interfering crapware is affected.

The x86 versions of anything are irrelevant when using the x64 version of the tools.

First, issue is resolved for me.

Second when TexGen was doing nothing but exiting all I did was install ".NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15" instead of ".NET Runtime 6.0.15" 

I used the x64 version of TexGen from the start. I only installed both x64 and x86 versions  of .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 to cover my bases for the future for other applications.

Edit: I had no "crapware" running in either situation, only difference was the change in .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 package

17 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

I've executed lodgen with 1,0,0 settings for grass brightness and couldn't see any increase in redness. Are there any comparison photos definitely showing red, green and blue grass when each channel is set to 1, and the rest to zero. I feel like the setting doesn't work properly, or maybe me selecting only object and then grass tickbox in dyndolod and run execute lodgen is not the proper way to do it. i wish there was a preview button like in texgen. 

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD#updating
To test different GrassBrightnessTop*/GrassBrightnessBottom* or GrassBrightnessBottom*/ComplexGrassBrightnessBottom* settings, change them in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Export_[WORLDSPACE].txt, start DynDOLOD in expert mode, select the desired worldspace and click the Execute LODGen button. Then merge the new output with the existing output, overwriting all older files.
To speed things up, limit generation to LOD Level 4 by using the Specific Chunk dropdowns. Use the West/South coordinates to generate and test with a specific BTO file until the desired results are found. Use the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM - You Are Here page to find the coordinates and filenames for the specific BTO file.

To preview a NIF with the new settings, it has to be generated as explained above. The instructions explain how to do that.

18 minutes ago, Dersh said:

First, issue is resolved for me.

Second when TexGen was doing nothing but exiting all I did was install ".NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15" instead of ".NET Runtime 6.0.15" 

I used the x64 version of TexGen from the start. I only installed both x64 and x86 versions  of .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 to cover my bases for the future for other applications.

It is unclear what issue was solved which is most likely something with the drivers or crapware etc.

For LODGenx64Win.exe used by DynDOLOD to generate object LOD meshes it should be fine to only install the latest .NET Runtime 7.x x64 as it is backwards compatible.

26 minutes ago, sheson said:

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD#updating
To test different GrassBrightnessTop*/GrassBrightnessBottom* or GrassBrightnessBottom*/ComplexGrassBrightnessBottom* settings, change them in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Export_[WORLDSPACE].txt, start DynDOLOD in expert mode, select the desired worldspace and click the Execute LODGen button. Then merge the new output with the existing output, overwriting all older files.
To speed things up, limit generation to LOD Level 4 by using the Specific Chunk dropdowns. Use the West/South coordinates to generate and test with a specific BTO file until the desired results are found. Use the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM - You Are Here page to find the coordinates and filenames for the specific BTO file.

To preview a NIF with the new settings, it has to be generated as explained above. The instructions explain how to do that.

Ahh great that's why it's not working, another counterintuitive thing...

Why are there separate settings file, and why i can't just use dyndolod_sse.ini master file if i choose so?

Great, split settings into thousand files that overwrite the default file...is there a switch for default file to be a master file and stop with the annoyances like these? 

Also why does DynDOLOD can't run with screen turned off, it seems it can't handle forcing gpu to work when the screen is disbled? I usually turn off my screen when im not at pc, and just run some computation. 

Edited by RainingTacco

19 minutes ago, sheson said:

It is unclear what issue was solved which is most likely something with the drivers or crapware etc.

For LODGenx64Win.exe used by DynDOLOD to generate object LOD meshes it should be fine to only install the latest .NET Runtime 7.x x64 as it is backwards compatible.

Well no changes to drivers or bloatware were made so I dont know Sheson...

My issues were with TexGenx64.exe (and Texconvx64.exe) process not DynDOLODx64.exe (which functions fine)

The only change made was literally installing x64 .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 package over x64 .NET Runtime 6.0.15 package and rebooting and TexGenx64.exe did its thing just fine. Not sure why but Texconvx64.exe (which is what seems I was having an issue with) does not like the x64 .NET Runtime 6.0.15 package.

So I dont know. Im just reporting that single change that fixed TexGenx64.exe to work for me :D

NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15-1.png

1 hour ago, RainingTacco said:

Ahh great that's why it's not working, another counterintuitive thing...

Why are there separate settings file, and why i can't just use dyndolod_sse.ini master file if i choose so?

Great, split settings into thousand files that overwrite the default file...is there a switch for default file to be a master file and stop with the annoyances like these? 

Also why does DynDOLOD can't run with screen turned off, it seems it can't handle forcing gpu to work when the screen is disbled? I usually turn off my screen when im not at pc, and just run some computation. 

DynDOLOD is a modified version of xLODGen. xLODGen generates an export file for LODGen to generate object LOD meshes. The settings in the DynDOLOD INI are added to the header of the export file for LODGen when the LOD patch is generated. If you want to change certain settings of object LOD meshes generation without having to generate a new export file, you need to edit the settings in the export file before executing LODGen again. This is all explained in the documentation and the links and quotes I recently posted. It does not matter how things actually work, the instructions need to be read and followed either way.

There obviously is no such thing as a default or master export file. It is created for the current load order with the current options and settings when the LOD patch is generated.

5 hours ago, Dersh said:

Well no changes to drivers or bloatware were made so I dont know Sheson...

My issues were with TexGenx64.exe (and Texconvx64.exe) process not DynDOLODx64.exe (which functions fine)

The only change made was literally installing x64 .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.15 package over x64 .NET Runtime 6.0.15 package and rebooting and TexGenx64.exe did its thing just fine. Not sure why but Texconvx64.exe (which is what seems I was having an issue with) does not like the x64 .NET Runtime 6.0.15 package.

So I dont know. Im just reporting that single change that fixed TexGenx64.exe to work for me :D

TexGenx64.exe is a delphi compiled Windows program and does not use .NET
Texconvx64.exe is a c++ compiled Windows program and should not be using .NET either. It requires the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

Try uninstalling all .NET and then run TexGen to see if it still works.

Unfortunately you are not letting us know which OS, driver, crapware, etc. you have installed that is interfering and started working after updating something that neither TexGen/Texconv use or require.

Is it possible for chunk creation to feed it specific matrix list of coordinates? like [8,-5][6,-3] and it would create lod for the square between coordinates 8,-5 and 6,-3?

Is coordinate system used by dyndolod same as on this map?

https://modmapper.com

Im asking because i enter cell coordinate from this map, execute lodgen and get empty folder, whereas i know that there should be lod there. 

Ok its the same coordinate system, but why it generate empty lod then? Hmmm. It works fine when i just generate lod4, but when i try some chunks like 8,-5 i get empty folder. 

Edited by RainingTacco

32 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

Is it possible for chunk creation to feed it specific matrix list of coordinates? like [8,-5][6,-3] and it would create lod for the square between coordinates 8,-5 and 6,-3?

Is coordinate system used by dyndolod same as on this map?

https://modmapper.com

Im asking because i enter cell coordinate from this map, execute lodgen and get empty folder, whereas i know that there should be lod there. 

Ok its the same coordinate system, but why it generate empty lod then? Hmmm. It works fine when i just generate lod4, but when i try some chunks like 8,-5 i get empty folder. 

As explained, the specific chunk settings can be used to generate a LOD level and/or a specific BTO file.
As explained use the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM - You Are Here to know the coordinates of a specific BTO file. 
Leaving the LOD Level or a drop down empty means "any"

There is no LOD file with the WS coordinates 8,-5. If this is Tamriel, then the cell 8,-5 is part of the LOD file Tamriel.4.8.-8.bto

The cell coordinates are defined by the data in the plugins. The game and tools derive the coordinates of a LOD file by the SW origin set in the lodsettings file for the worldspace and the LOD Level.

How there is no 8,-5 cell, when these are the coordinates that dyndolod tells me when i look it in dyndolod mcm ingame? So what the heck i have to put in dyndolod chunk settings to get that 8,-5 cell lod generated[it's the coc whiterun cell]? What is a lodsettings file and where it is located? Why can't cell coordinates of 8,-5 translate to lod files named 8,-5, but you tell me it's 8,-8?  

Edited by RainingTacco