Cathedral Assets Optimizer (by G_k)

DoubleYou

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to have to use this for the Fallout 4 guide. Through my research, I've found that this is the best mod for Fallout 4 ba2 archive extraction and repacking support that has a good GUI. For Fallout 4, you have a lot of mods that use the BA2 archives for textures because they're actually optimized to improve performance because the BA2 serves the mipmaps for textures differently, while also speeding up loading times.

If you want to pick and choose assets from various overhaul mods, this is the only sane way to do it that I'm aware of. I know we are accustomed to have lots of loose assets with Skyrim, but the general consensus among the experts is that Fallout 4 load time is very slow with loose assets.

I've been using BSArch (by Zilav, Sheson and ElminsterAU) to unpack/repack entire Skyrim BSAs, and BAE for extracting specific files from archives.

BSArch is a command-line tool, so no GUI. It's supposed to support FO4's BA2 format with streamed DDS.

There is BSArch BSA BA2 Batch Extractor and Packer for MO2 (by DullCandle29) that provides Windows batch scripts and integration with MO2. I haven't used it.

I have used CAO for a couple of mods and it's actually relatively easy. I just ran CAO, pointed it to the mod folder (e.g. ModOrganizer\mods\Custom Textures) and it created a dummy Custom Textures.esp plugin and Custom Textures.bA2.

It's probably a good application, but I never had need for it, favoring the control afforded by SSE NIF Optimizer, which has more options for NIF and is simpler to use, IMO.

For versatility, I'm sure CAO is better ... but what Mouse linked may be good alternatives, IDK.