Remember Lockpick Angle - Updated (by OnlyIWeDo & Umgak)

Mousetick

Discussion topic:
Remember Lockpick Angle - Updated by Umgak
Wiki Link

SKSE plugin.

QOL: After breaking a lock-pick, the new lock-pick is placed at the same angle where the last one broke.

The STEP guide includes Easier Lockpicking (by Gamwich) which is a more detailed texture intended to help visually remember the angle in between lock-picking attempts. This mod takes the process further by simply remembering the last angle for you. That is, the new lock-pick is automatically positioned exactly at the angle where the last broken one was. In which case, the former mod loses its purpose, but it's still nice-looking so it's worth keeping.

Personally, I didn't find Easier Lockpicking very helpful, and I think visually remembering the exact angle of the previous pick not a particularly fun or enjoyable aspect of gameplay, especially when it's repeated hundreds of times over the course of a playthrough. This mod gets rid of that. Admittedly, it probably makes lockpicking somewhat easier in the process. It can also be considered an accessibility feature for players with impaired vision or having difficulties with mouse movement.

Since it's a pure SKSE plugin, it can be installed or uninstalled at any time according to user's choice.

This would help with so many broken lockpicks! I often find the slightly opening spot. Then I narrow it down a bunch for expert/master locks. Easier lockpicking is noticeable for me as I can remember those visual scratches/patterns in the lock. Because of that I am not so interested in something like this as I do enjoy the act of picking the lock.

What I would like is some sort of force lock option a la oblivion. Base it on skill so you can just save time on novice/apprentice locks. 

22 minutes ago, Eliian said:

What I would like is some sort of force lock option a la oblivion. Base it on skill so you can just save time on novice/apprentice locks. 

Assuming I'm understanding your wish correctly, Lock Overhaul (which is part of STEP 2.0) provides such a feature. See the 'Auto Pick Locks' feature.

23 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Assuming I'm understanding your wish correctly, Lock Overhaul (which is part of STEP 2.0) provides such a feature. See the 'Auto Pick Locks' feature.

I did not know that thanks! I must have uninstalled that mod at some point and did not notice. 

I would say this one is floating the grey area of the Mandates, imo, depending on the angle you view it from.

It will make lockpicking easier. That's a fact. With that said, I can easily toss out an argument that you wouldn't be able to do this in real life unless you marked your place, but even with a marking you are not going to get it back 100% exactly in the same position. From this alone, the mod leans towards being a bit of a "cheat". It's one step away from just marking the unlock position as other mods do.

I'm not advocating for or against it. I'm just putting out a view from my understanding of the Mandates.

Honestly, I like the lockpicking mini-game. I'm quite good at it, and I can pick most locks with little difficulty. I have garnered a kind of muscle memory of remembering about how much the lock turned after moving it this much from the start, and if I would use this mod, it would break that flow for me, and would actually make it harder for me I should think. But I can see some users liking this.

11 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Honestly, I like the lockpicking mini-game. I'm quite good at it, and I can pick most locks with little difficulty. I have garnered a kind of muscle memory of remembering about how much the lock turned after moving it this much from the start, and if I would use this mod, it would break that flow for me, and would actually make it harder for me I should think. But I can see some users liking this.

Same. The default is fine, and I like the challenge. I have a knack for it I guess, so no help needed.