Mod Suggestions for SR - Post in STEP Mods Forum

Well in general crafting needs an overhaul... sadly most mods that do it are either not updated to dragonborn or just do not do a good job at it.

When one comes I will be first in line to endorse it!

Only thing that I find that is easy to get is enchanting overhauls that also fit into SR.

Would need an alchemy mod that makes it less easy to exploit. As is' date=' you can make thousands of Septims in no time with alchemy.[/quote']

Yes, and also level alchemy too fast.

I do like using Trade ad Barter (or Economics of Skyrim) to massively tone down what you sell stuff for.

I liked the system the The Witcher where you had to learn to identify useful plant and animal bits before you could harvest them.  The potion creation system was also more sophisticated in that you needed more precursors (a base plus 3-5 ingredients IIRC).  OTOH Alchemy made characters who specialized in it much more powerful.  The toxicity of potions prevented a player from spamming them. Poisons being specialized against particular foes was also nice in that having a mix of them was helpful.  (OTOH the carrying subsystem was so broken that it encouraged spamming potions and poisons once you figured out how to make them.)  In Skyrim alchemy seems too easy, a player does not really have to devote much to get pretty good at it (i.e mix salt and garlic together a few dozen times and you get a pile of cash plus level up alchemy.)

Without this mod I find that there are a few very powerful potions/poisons (i.e paralysis, invisibility) but they are hard enough to make that I am frugal about using them.  I always like to horde one or two of the most effective potions in case I run into a jam.   If I could effectively have 2-3 times as many of these I would use them a lot more.  For example if I have 2 paralysis poisons I might use one but would almost always save the last one for a dire emergency.  But with five I could use four and still have a reserve.  This would seem to move poisons and potions from being an occiassional thing to something used in virtually every encounter.

So yes, a good alchemy overhaul for Skyriom would be really nice, one that demanded a degree of specialization to make worthwhile to a character but then was rewarding when you did.

Well in general crafting needs an overhaul... sadly most mods that do it are either not updated to dragonborn or just do not do a good job at it.

When one comes I will be first in line to endorse it!

Only thing that I find that is easy to get is enchanting overhauls that also fit into SR.

What enchanting overhaul do you like?

I do not use any enchanting altering mods atm... as I recall :S too many mods on this list really. However I recall from when I was looking that they where easy to find. 

As for alchemy then I use this to make sure I do not abuse healing potions... which is one of the worst things about the alchemy/potion system in vanilla. 

As for alchemy then I use this to make sure I do not abuse healing potions... which is one of the worst things about the alchemy/potion system in vanilla. 

From the comments it looks like the author is not supporting this anymore - there will be no support for Dragonborn and it does not support (some of the?) the alchemy perks.

Well he stated it was in a finished state... and I only tested that it actually worked as intended. Which it does.

Dragonborn support I do not really see is an issue since it does not provide new potions does it? It is still skyrim.esm that provides those. Might be wrong but that was what I could gather when I checked.

The perks I have not looked into... will properly do that later this week.

As I recall the Dragonborn issue was with ingredients.  Any new ingredients it introduced will not have the delay and might be five times as powerful with combined with an ingredient with a delay.

The Benefactor perk has no effect in used with this mod.

At least those are the two items I came across in the comments section.

Yeah, Immersive Potions looked good until those issues were found. Honestly the biggest problem with alchemy is the cost to produce -> selling cost. A potion with 3 common ingredients can be made into something worth 500+. The best way to game alchemy is to buy out an alchemist shop, make potions then sell them back for significant boost in septims. Wait 30 days and repeat.

Yes, I do like a "poor" game. Having to scrape for cash and making tough choices about what to buy makes it more interesting.

Being able to sell generic (i.e. looted) potions you can't use is OK. It's being able to set up an assembly line and turn a profit that is breaks the game balance. A mod that did not allow you to sell any potions you brew yourself or that made concocting potions much more difficult would be handy.

Immersive Potions was great in my last build - I loved the time healing. There was a similar mod for Oblivion...this is how the potions should have been in vanilla.

My only use for alchemy has been to craft healing potions (playing as a ranger). Since I don't use magic, relying on pots is a necessity. I don't remember now what mod I was using before but it really jacked up the prices and lowered availability in shops of pots and I couldn't sell for anything worthwhile (it would take a ton of time to make a living off it). But, I definitely see the gamey-ness of alchemy and I agree, the system really needs an overhaul. Hopefully one of these days.

Immersive Potions was great in my last build - I loved the time healing. There was a similar mod for Oblivion...this is how the potions should have been in vanilla.

My only use for alchemy has been to craft healing potions (playing as a ranger). Since I don't use magic, relying on pots is a necessity. I don't remember now what mod I was using before but it really jacked up the prices and lowered availability in shops of pots and I couldn't sell for anything worthwhile (it would take a ton of time to make a living off it). But, I definitely see the gamey-ness of alchemy and I agree, the system really needs an overhaul. Hopefully one of these days.

Economics of Skyrim will do that, somewhat.  So will Trade and Barter.  It woiuld be nice if it could be made to affect only potions instead of all goods.

I wonder if the time delay hits NPCs if using ASIS potions - I would suppose so, but the AI probably doesn't know that so that might be an issue.  Do NPCs in ASIS use potions if you pay without the ASIS AI?