Mod Suggestions for SR - Post in STEP Mods Forum

I am a bit hesitant about using the main STEP Mod Suggestion forum for several reasons:

• How to actually set up suggestions in the proper format there is unclear and seems cumbersome.

• Feedback when this is not done correctly (or not done) makes me unwilling to bother starting new topics there.
    • There is also less of a "Wow here's an interesting new mod - take a look" feeling.  It less a "suggestion" to other players to try something out and more of a legal brief arguing the merits of a mod.  Or at least that's how it sometimes comes across.
  • There can be quite a difference in the mods for STEP vs. SR.  In particular STEP has a much more hardcore "vanilla" standard, with mods that are acknowledged to be an improvement being rejected because they deviate from vanilla in some way.  Who wants to bother putting up a suggestion if they know it will get a "DENIED stamp because it falls outside the STEP mandate?  (I'm not saying the is inappropriate for the mods intended for STEP - it makes sense that potential mod suggesters would decide how it fits within STEP before submitting a suggestion - but it's inappropriate for a forum suggesting mods for a wider variety of uses.)
  • Some mods may be much more suited to one mod collection or the other.  There is quite a difference mods that are suited to STEP and SR, and even within SR that are suitable for the SkyRe "add on" than the core SR.  As currently formatted the Mod Suggestion forum ( https://forum.step-project.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43 ) does not take this into account.  Frankly any one thread tracking mods for multiple uses will probably be confusing.

We will not be doing both ... sorry.

The forums were created to support STEP, and the SR forums were created to allow Neovalen the ability to get feedback on his project without making too big a splash in the STEP pool.

What is occurring, however, is that the SR crowd --and all of the mod suggestions and testing that come with it-- has begun to take away from what we had intended to capture on the STEP forums.

ANY mod can be suggested or added in the main STEP MS forum. It does not matter if it is acceptable to STEP or not. We have many mods out there that will never make it into Core STEP. All we are asking is that mod suggestions and comments on already-suggested mods be place out on the mod thread in the MS forum. This is Phase 1 of integrating Skyrim Revisited into the STEP fold.

Think of Skyrim Revisited as an advanced STEP compilation consisting of Core STEP and several STEP Packs or a single Pack that is managed by Neovalen. Neo will continue to orchestrate the creative direction of SR-STEP (as will the SR community), but we have a much bigger picture for STEP and consequently SR (with Neo's cooperation, of course). There is an opportunity to create a lot more sophistication for mod management in general by combining these efforts.

I created the SR forum and I am going to be integrating several aspects of this forum into STEP, whilst keeping SR distinct in the most important ways. Again, Neovalen will remain as the active and creative developer of SR mods and mod integration; however, Neo will also be an active member of the core STEP team in order to bring it all together.

There will be a huge benefit to both projects, which really should not be considered distinct unless Neovalen expresses a desire to keep his project strictly distinct (which he has not thus far). It is a free country and a free internet, so we do not presume to dictate any project that is not our own to dictate. Nevertheless, as long as it is on this site, it is a part of the STEP project.

We are a pretty fair lot, as I am sure that most of you know.

@Statmonster

Mod Testing (i.e., [ ACCEPTED ] [ DENIED ]  tags) is now separated from the Mod Suggestions forum in a Mod Testing subforum. All SR mods not in STEP will have permanent threads within Mod Suggestions, and the tags will not apply.

Eventually, all these mods will be expected to make it into the STEP Anthology beneath a SR-specific subforum of some kind (TBD).

The beauty of Mod Suggestions forum is that each mod thread that points to the Anthology also points to the wiki and the Nexus and all relevant information pertaining to that mod. It keeps all mod-specific information tied together.

We will not be doing both ... sorry.

The forums were created to support STEP, and the SR forums were created to allow Neovalen the ability to get feedback on his project without making too big a splash in the STEP pool.

What is occurring, however, is that the SR crowd --and all of the mod suggestions and testing that come with it-- has begun to take away from what we had intended to capture on the STEP forums.

ANY mod can be suggested or added in the main STEP MS forum. It does not matter if it is acceptable to STEP or not. We have many mods out there that will never make it into Core STEP. All we are asking is that mod suggestions and comments on already-suggested mods be place out on the mod thread in the MS forum. This is Phase 1 of integrating Skyrim Revisited into the STEP fold.

Think of Skyrim Revisited as an advanced STEP compilation consisting of Core STEP and several STEP Packs or a single Pack that is managed by Neovalen. Neo will continue to orchestrate the creative direction of SR-STEP (as will the SR community), but we have a much bigger picture for STEP and consequently SR (with Neo's cooperation, of course). There is an opportunity to create a lot more sophistication for mod management in general by combining these efforts.

I created the SR forum and I am going to be integrating several aspects of this forum into STEP, whilst keeping SR distinct in the most important ways. Again, Neovalen will remain as the active and creative developer of SR mods and mod integration; however, Neo will also be an active member of the core STEP team in order to bring it all together.

There will be a huge benefit to both projects, which really should not be considered distinct unless Neovalen expresses a desire to keep his project strictly distinct (which he has not thus far). It is a free country and a free internet, so we do not presume to dictate any project that is not our own to dictate. Nevertheless, as long as it is on this site, it is a part of the STEP project.

We are a pretty fair lot, as I am sure that most of you know.

@Statmonster

Mod Testing (i.e., [ ACCEPTED ] [ DENIED ] tags) is now separated from the Mod Suggestions forum in a Mod Testing subforum. All SR mods not in STEP will have permanent threads within Mod Suggestions, and the tags will not apply.

Eventually, all these mods will be expected to make it into the STEP Anthology beneath a SR-specific subforum of some kind (TBD).

The beauty of Mod Suggestions forum is that each mod thread that points to the Anthology also points to the wiki and the Nexus and all relevant information pertaining to that mod. It keeps all mod-specific information tied together.

Fair enough explanation, z. Thanks for the update and looking forward to moving STEP/SR forward together.
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a suggestion for the SR format.

What do you guys think about leaving all the compatibility patching AFTER everything is already downloaded and installed properly?

This would make the guide look a lot cleaner and streamlined.

Download all mods, configure as needed, install.

The area at the bottom can be a small introduction to TES5EDIT/ BUM with all the required patches following and descriptions.

This area can also be used for links to compatibility patches that SR users can download for convenience.

Something like;

Mod name (link to mod)

Author

Version

RR (Recommended Resolution)

DDSopt Settings

Optionals

A * or little subtle sign can be added to the mod showing that it needs patching and we can even add in something else to show that the mod uses scripts.

Alternatively, DDSopt settings can be left out and can be introduced at the bottom of the guide with a brief intro to DDSopt.

I have a suggestion for the SR format....snip/

We are working on developing the wiki infrastructure to accommodate Neo's guide resources and references, so the new SR format will be announced at a later date once Neo and the rest of us nail down a working and more easily maintainable solution.

Until that time, eager SR users can help out by creating the SR mod pages on the wiki. Visit the STEP Portal to get an idea of how to do this, and refer to Neo concerning what exactly needs to go in and what does not. The complete list of mods currently in the wiki are all under the right-hand links of the STEP Mod Anthology on the wiki Main Page.

Click on "STEP Portal" in the upper left of that page to access the instructions and the mod-page creation form for mods not appearing in the Anthology (the Anthology also exists on the forums).

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'd like to recommend a friend's mods which are Better town textures : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46121/?and Better mills textures :https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50532/?

Those two mods are quite simple but efficient, It simply uses the textures from already present texture mods such as smim and others and place them to make cities and mills more appealing, without breaking the lore, or the cohesion with already present textures and world, Have a look at them. There are also compatibility patches. 

• 3 months later...

I'd like to recommend a few mods for SR:LE:

Better Falskaar and Wyrmstooth Map With Roads: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51339/

OBIS Redone: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52067

Slytest Integration Project: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46495

Unique Grasses: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/42370

Skyrim Landscape Overhaul: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53632/?

DFB - Random Encounters - MCMhttps://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32394

Edited by Gekko64