Upgrading from 0.3.0b to 1.0.0

Sakiri

How do I go about doing it? Or should I scrap the entire install and start from scratch? I could disable/remove the mods from the changelog and install the replacements, update all my utilities and whatnit(SKSE and plugins) but wouldn't I have to update Skyrim as well? 

I'm leaning towards having to reinstall from scratch...

So update the utilities,  replace changelog mods, delete/download and install new version of the patches, etc and gtg? 

I want to update SKSE and all that for max compatibility?

Good to know I don't have to fully reinstall. That'd be a mess haha.

I just want to be certain about what I'm doing.

Was going to update the game. Update SKSE. Update SKSE plugins. Remove mods dropped from the guide. Replace with mods added to the guide. Take all non STEP mods that rely on SKSE and update those(they'll break otherwise I'd imagine.... I don't have many anyway). 

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by Sakiri

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, Sakiri said:

So update the utilities,  replace changelog mods, delete/download and install new version of the patches, etc and gtg? 

I want to update SKSE and all that for max compatibility?

Good to know I don't have to fully reinstall. That'd be a mess haha.

I just want to be certain about what I'm doing.

Was going to update the game. Update SKSE. Update SKSE plugins. Remove mods dropped from the guide. Replace with mods added to the guide. Take all non STEP mods that rely on SKSE and update those(they'll break otherwise I'd imagine.... I don't have many anyway). 

Anything I'm missing?

Just update all mods that MO says are outdated (and are truly not up to date ... many mod authors do not handle Nexus versioning correctly or consistently, so MO can think an update exists when it does not.

I recommend updating everything that's updated. If you've consistently entered the version number (and Nexus IDs) of all mods, you can right click any mod in the left pane, select All Mods > Check for Updates. Mod Organizer will then flag all mods that potentially have new versions available on Nexus. You'll have to manually check mods like SKSE that are not on Nexus and there may be a few mods from Skyrim LE that Mod Organizer can't check, but these probably haven't been updated in a while.

Installing new mods that were not in the older guide can be somewhat painful if you click Download with Manager and double click the mod in the Downloads folder. This is because Mod Organizer adds new mods to the bottom of the left pane so you have to manually move them to the correct slot. I do this a bit differently to make it a bit easier. When you find a new mod that you need to install, select the next mod in the left pane. For example, say you have Better Container Controls and Better MessageBox Controls and you need to install Better Dialogue Controls between these two. Select Better MessageBox Controls in the left pan, right click, More > Create Empty Mod, and name it Better Dialogue Controls. This creates an empty mod in the correct order so you don't need to move anything in the left pane. When you actually install the mod, ensure the name matches the empty mod you created and select either Merge or Replace.

Note that Mod Organizer also has All Mods > Install Mod that would be really nice if it worked the same way, but this always installs the mod at the bottom of the list when I tried it.

36 minutes ago, Greg said:

I recommend updating everything that's updated. If you've consistently entered the version number (and Nexus IDs) of all mods, you can right click any mod in the left pane, select All Mods > Check for Updates. Mod Organizer will then flag all mods that potentially have new versions available on Nexus. You'll have to manually check mods like SKSE that are not on Nexus and there may be a few mods from Skyrim LE that Mod Organizer can't check, but these probably haven't been updated in a while.

Installing new mods that were not in the older guide can be somewhat painful if you click Download with Manager and double click the mod in the Downloads folder. This is because Mod Organizer adds new mods to the bottom of the left pane so you have to manually move them to the correct slot. I do this a bit differently to make it a bit easier. When you find a new mod that you need to install, select the next mod in the left pane. For example, say you have Better Container Controls and Better MessageBox Controls and you need to install Better Dialogue Controls between these two. Select Better MessageBox Controls in the left pan, right click, More > Install Empty Mod, and name it Better Dialogue Controls. This creates an empty mod in the correct order so you don't need to move anything in the left pane. When you actually install the mod, ensure the name matches the empty mod you created and select either Merge or Replace.

Interesting (and good) tip. I just install new mods as usual and slow-double click on the priority to change it to the correct #. I also use section headings that match our 20 modGroups, color coding each differently (all Gameplay* ones with same color though). This makes it simple to move the scroll bar in the left pane to the area of interest.

33 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Interesting (and good) tip. I just install new mods as usual and slow-double click on the priority to change it to the correct #. I also use section headings that match our 20 modGroups, color coding each differently (all Gameplay* ones with same color though). This makes it simple to move the scroll bar in the left pane to the area of interest.

You can do it that way as well if you can keep the priority straight in your head. I'm usually concentrating on updating the version number so I tend to get lost if I try to remember both the version number and the priority at the same time. I also tend to single click the column and F2 to edit instead of slow double clicking. It's a bit faster and I invariably slow double click a bit too fast.

1 minute ago, Greg said:

You can do it that way as well if you can keep the priority straight in your head. I'm usually concentrating on updating the version number so I tend to get lost if I try to remember both the version number and the priority at the same time. I also tend to single click the column and F2 to edit instead of slow double clicking. It's a bit faster and I invariably slow double click a bit too fast.

That's why I like MO so much. Many ways to accomplish the same tasks. ... and I often discover new ways of doing things from posts like yours. Lotsa options ;)

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Actually the easiest way is to drag and drop from the downloads pane to the left pane where you want to install the mod priority wise.

Ha! See, I never knew that. I will probably continue my own way, since it's built in ... unless I remember to try that. Maybe it will stick.

I haven't used Download with Manager in a long time, although I wonder if that may work if I drag a file from Explorer. I prefer to store all mods I've used in a STEP Category/Mod Name folder structure so I can install most mods from local storage when setting up new profiles.