aMidianBorn Book of Silence SE by CaBaL

z929669

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
18 hours ago, Greg said:

We don't use Creatures from aMidianBorn Book of Silence.

I know, but everything from BoS Creatures except the dragon priest knife retexture would be overwritten by other STEP mods. So it seems like a big sacrifice just to avoid that retexture.

I'm only asking because I'm considering using it, and was wondering if it had been considered and there was found to be a stronger reason to avoid using it.

4 hours ago, alphaniner said:

I know, but everything from BoS Creatures except the dragon priest knife retexture would be overwritten by other STEP mods. So it seems like a big sacrifice just to avoid that retexture.

Avoid 'what' retexture? I don't understand your point, because we aren't using creatures from this mod (and they would be overridden anyway just as you say). As I recall, we are not using Creatures from this, because they are not as good or as 'fitting' as those that we are using. Check mod pages of creature mods that would overwrite this mod. There are likely some compares and hints as to why we are not using creatures from this one.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Avoid 'what' retexture? I don't understand your point, because we aren't using creatures from this mod (and they would be overridden anyway just as you say). As I recall, we are not using Creatures from this, because they are not as good or as 'fitting' as those that we are using. Check mod pages of creature mods that would overwrite this mod. There are likely some compares and hints as to why we are not using creatures from this one.

I'm just trying to understand if there's a reason STEP didn't include the aMidianBorn Content Addon beyond the fact that it requires the aMidianBorn creatures. Since the Addon is just compatibility for CCOR which is already part of STEP, I have a hard time understanding why it would have been rejected simply because it comes with some creature retextures which would be overwritten anyway.

I'm not trying to critize the decision though, just wondering if there was more to the choice not to include it.

Edited by alphaniner

21 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

I'm just trying to understand if there's a reason STEP didn't include the aMidianBorn Content Addon beyond the fact that it requires the aMidianBorn creatures. Since the Addon is just compatibility for CCOR which is already part of STEP, I have a hard time understanding why it would have been rejected simply because it comes with some creature retextures which would be overwritten anyway.

I'm not trying to critize the decision though, just wondering if there was more to the choice not to include it.

OK, now I follow. I can't recall off the top of my head, but if you do a SLE/SSE Mods forum search for "aMidianBorn", you may find the mod pages where this has been discussed. Otherwise, maybe one of the others can recall exactly why we didn't consider the content add=on for Step. Most likely reason is that it either did not fit the mandate (too different from vanilla 'style' or was not as 'good' as what we were already using. Rest assured that we have a rationale.

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I'm rethinking our decision to use piecemeal aMB instead of the Content Add-On krypto put together. Reason being that krypto included WACCP and CCOR patching in the Content Add-On that we could be using to better round out any of that patching for Step. More to follow on that mod topic.

I would say it depends... If you have to install things we don't want or break Mandate, well...that should be your answer to whether the Content Addon is right for Step or not...and most of that has already been determined. Not to mention, what is it going to do to other replacements down the line that we've specifically chosen to use over this mod? Variants often break these...meaning they're never used because the variant system often only accounts for it's own textures.

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

I would say it depends... If you have to install things we don't want or break Mandate, well...that should be your answer to whether the Content Addon is right for Step or not...and most of that has already been determined. Not to mention, what is it going to do to other replacements down the line that we've specifically chosen to use over this mod? Variants often break these...meaning they're never used because the variant system often only accounts for it's own textures.

Yeah, as I said on the other topic linked in my previous, I have never looked too closely at krypto's plugin for the content add-on within the context of our setup. Purely exploratory at this point, as I'm feeling adventurous (see previous posts above by alphaniner and our responses ... I just want more info).

No proposals at this time, since I really don't know enough to make any.