xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 114 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

1 hour ago, ElDorado said:

I tried disabling both the mod you mentioned and "strip region light fix" which is the mod the last override the cells, no luck

here's a video to better show the problem

https://streamable.com/ebnvx6
and
https://streamable.com/vb0itz

Yes, this looks like a problem with the AABB culling.

Generate new terrain LOD meshes with this version https://mega.nz/file/oYpkhCQR#mg8-OnmrTs9FIgJtWlgR27u_GUx0aNVieLoos4bF1mo and test if they work better.

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Yes, this looks like a problem with the AABB culling.

Generate new terrain LOD meshes with this version https://mega.nz/file/oYpkhCQR#mg8-OnmrTs9FIgJtWlgR27u_GUx0aNVieLoos4bF1mo and test if they work better.

this solved the montains issue, all looking as it should now

sadly the water is still busted. When looking from up the road down to cottonwood cove, it goes like this: far distance = visible, medium distance = missing, close distance = visible again

22 minutes ago, ElDorado said:

this solved the montains issue, all looking as it should now

sadly the water is still busted. When looking from up the road down to cottonwood cove, it goes like this: far distance = visible, medium distance = missing, close distance = visible again

Does this not happen with vanilla terrain LOD meshes? Does it happen with "LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE" installed and active?

Post the player position with player.getpos x and player.getpos y from console when the water does not show.

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Does this not happen with vanilla terrain LOD meshes? Does it happen with "LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE" installed and active?

Post the player position with player.getpos x and player.getpos y from console when the water does not show.

well, turns out it does happen with the vanilla meshes, here's a screen with all lod related mods disabled and with the coords

FalloutNV_2024_05_24_14_25_47_601.jpg

1 hour ago, ElDorado said:

well, turns out it does happen with the vanilla meshes, here's a screen with all lod related mods disabled and with the coords

FalloutNV_2024_05_24_14_25_47_601.jpg

I get the water with vanilla terrain LOD and LOD generated with xLODGen in this case in a true vanilla game and default INIs. It is possible that different distance settings have an effect when/how this happens. In any case, if vanilla LOD has it, too, I wouldn't know what to change in the meshes - as there is only one AABB for both terrain and water and when I tested large z extends it didn't change anything with the test case near the damn.

I was under the impression LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE fixes this bug with water LOD.

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 112 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

Screen-Shot40.png Shot from above

Screen-Shot39.png From the distance (center, just below rim of hill)

Per the title. Updated LODs with latest versions of xLODgen (beta 112) and DynDOLOD (alpha 170). I noticed these strange black squares on the hills behind Rorikstead.

Disabling the SSELODgen output got rid of the squares. Re-running SSELODgen didn't fix the issue.

The landscape textures are Skyland AIO.

Has anyone encountered this or a similar issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, aedhan said:

Screen-Shot40.png Shot from above

Screen-Shot39.png From the distance (center, just below rim of hill)

Per the title. Updated LODs with latest versions of xLODgen (beta 112) and DynDOLOD (alpha 170). I noticed these strange black squares on the hills behind Rorikstead.

Disabling the SSELODgen output got rid of the squares. Re-running SSELODgen didn't fix the issue.

The landscape textures are Skyland AIO.

Has anyone encountered this or a similar issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Upload the SSELODGen_log.txt
Report if you checked "bake normal-maps" in addition to generating normal map terrain LOD textures.

Check how the terrain looks in the fully loaded cells (the terrain that remains after toggling LOD off with tll in console).
Toggle grass off with tg in console.

Check in xEdit which plugin is the last to overwrite the LAND record in those cells.
If the LAND records are still vanilla, then double check the used landscape diffuse / normal textures.

32 minutes ago, ElDorado said:

any idea why the generated lods for the primm walls in my game are black?

1.jpg

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/13451-xlodgen-terrain-lod-beta-112-for-fnv-fo3-fo4-fo4vr-tes5-sse-tes5vr-enderal-enderalse/?do=findComment&comment=278942
Post the FNVLODGEn_log.txt.
Either the LOD model uses a black texture or it has black vertex colors - which are only available and used if you installed LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE and unchecked No vertex colors.
You either need to update/fix the LOD assets and/or check the No vertex colors checkbox.

20 hours ago, sheson said:

Upload the SSELODGen_log.txt
Report if you checked "bake normal-maps" in addition to generating normal map terrain LOD textures.

Check how the terrain looks in the fully loaded cells (the terrain that remains after toggling LOD off with tll in console).
Toggle grass off with tg in console.

Check in xEdit which plugin is the last to overwrite the LAND record in those cells.
If the LAND records are still vanilla, then double check the used landscape diffuse / normal textures.

Screen-Shot01.png Skyland Green Tundra - unbaked normal

Screen-Shot02.png Skyland Green Tundra - baked normal (32, 32)

Screen-Shot03.png Skyland Green Tundra - baked normal (32, 32) - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off

Screen-Shot04.png (As above) - texture tiling

Screen-Shot06.png Fantasia Landscapes - baked normal (32, 32)

Screen-Shot07.png Fantasia Landscapes - baked normal (32, 32) - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off

Hi Sheson,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have since tested different settings and textures. I switched to the Skyland Green Tundra to see if that would make a difference. The window-like squares were still there, though checking "bake normal-maps" made a significant difference. The squares were much lighter but still visible both near and far. Up close strong tiling is apparent.

I switched to Fantasia Landscapes by the same author, and with these textures the squares are no longer visible, neither near nor far. Nice!

So it seems to be less a xLODgen issue and more a specific texture problem. However, I would prefer to use the Skyland textures, as they blend better with my current grass mod.

Is there anything I can do on my end to fix it?

Cheers.

8 hours ago, aedhan said:

Screen-Shot01.png Skyland Green Tundra - unbaked normal

Screen-Shot02.png Skyland Green Tundra - baked normal (32, 32)

Screen-Shot03.png Skyland Green Tundra - baked normal (32, 32) - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off

Screen-Shot04.png (As above) - texture tiling

Screen-Shot06.png Fantasia Landscapes - baked normal (32, 32)

Screen-Shot07.png Fantasia Landscapes - baked normal (32, 32) - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off

Hi Sheson,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have since tested different settings and textures. I switched to the Skyland Green Tundra to see if that would make a difference. The window-like squares were still there, though checking "bake normal-maps" made a significant difference. The squares were much lighter but still visible both near and far. Up close strong tiling is apparent.

I switched to Fantasia Landscapes by the same author, and with these textures the squares are no longer visible, neither near nor far. Nice!

So it seems to be less a xLODgen issue and more a specific texture problem. However, I would prefer to use the Skyland textures, as they blend better with my current grass mod.

Is there anything I can do on my end to fix it?

Cheers.

No SSELODGen_log.txt was provided.

The Default sizes for diffuse/normal settings are irrelevant for the normal map texture.

Both mods only seem to change textures and not contain a plugin that might be changing the LANDscape record.
Check in xEdit if/which plugin is the last to overwrite the LAND record in those cells. If you require explanations how to do that, just ask.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sheson said:

The Default sizes for diffuse/normal settings are irrelevant for the normal map texture.

Both mods only seem to change textures and not contain a plugin that might be changing the LANDscape record.
Check in xEdit if/which plugin is the last to overwrite the LAND record in those cells. If you require explanations how to do that, just ask.

Screen-Shot61.png Skyland Green Tundra - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off - squares gone!

Hi Sheson,

Well, that seems to have fixed it.

It was Cell: -23,0; Editor ID: DragonMoundTundra03; Base form ID: 000099B9.

The last plugin to overwrite its record was "Northern Roads - Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods patch.esp".

Disabling the patch got rid of the window-like squares.

Thank you for your help identifying the problem.

Cheers!

Edited by aedhan

13 hours ago, aedhan said:

Screen-Shot61.png Skyland Green Tundra - cell fully loaded, grass toggled off - squares gone!

Hi Sheson,

Well, that seems to have fixed it.

It was Cell: -23,0; Editor ID: DragonMoundTundra03; Base form ID: 000099B9.

The last plugin to overwrite its record was "Northern Roads - Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods patch.esp".

Disabling the patch got rid of the window-like squares.

Thank you for your help identifying the problem.

Cheers!

Disabling a plugin is a troubleshooting step.

Checking the normal map texture generated for the area, we can see the problem:
tamriel.4.-24.0_n.png

Most of the vertex normals for the cell are simply wrong. The vectors probably point wrong and/or do not have a length of 1.

Unless the vertex height map changes, there should typically be no change to the vertex normals (maybe CK changes the vectors sometimes where the numbers are slightly different, but it should be like this).

It is not clear to me why the patch contains the LAND record in the first place, as only Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods.esp contains it but Northern Roads.esp doesn't, so there is nothing to patch between the two. Maybe the patch was made for older versions of the mods. I would either remove the record from Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods.esp or drag and drop the vertex normals from the Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods.esp to Northern Roads - Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods patch.esp

Same for cell -23 - 2

I suggest to report to the problem to the patch author.