xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

10 minutes ago, Hedehog17 said:

Okay. I compared the bto objects from my first worldspace and their UVs to the bto objects of my secondworldspace(RTRDSouthernCommonwealth). It appears that all the LOD objects in the first worldspace have clean UV maps when I look at them in nifskope and the texture atlas is visible. The LOD objects in the second worldspace all have warped UVs and the texture atlas isn't visible in Nifskope. It's just another warped texture.

Make sure NifSKope loads the atlas texture that was generated and used to create these BTOs. As long as the UV coords of the BTOs are inside 0.0 and 1.0 it it should not cause any performance issues.
Otherwise upload a BTO and its atlas textures so I can see what you mean.

Maybe you you make a test case with a small mod that only places one of these objects in a wordpsace to see if it still happens. In that case send that to me so I can see if I can replicate tomorrow/weekend.

26 minutes ago, sheson said:

Make sure NifSKope loads the atlas texture that was generated and used to create these BTOs. As long as the UV coords of the BTOs are inside 0.0 and 1.0 it it should not cause any performance issues.
Otherwise upload a BTO and its atlas textures so I can see what you mean.

Maybe you you make a test case with a small mod that only places one of these objects in a wordpsace to see if it still happens. In that case send that to me so I can see if I can replicate tomorrow/weekend.

I looked at the texture path and it's pointing to the right path and texture as far as I can tell and I also see the texture on the object. However, if I check the UV's in nifskope they look all funky and warped. https://mega.nz/file/pmYXGLhL#5tqUl-CzWtrxUxNw4nn7BT77wV12J5nGPYvmj0Ii50w

I also tried generating the specific shell roof asset again which produces a level 4 and 8 LOD object that you asked for. The command line prompt ran but it produced no files. I really don't know what's going on. I checked it several times to make sure that there are no empty lines or backspaces.

Edited by Hedehog17

I did some further testing. I created a clean new esp, used the same heightmap as in my second worldspace and only put Bethesda vanilla static collections and prefab static buildings into the worldspace. Then I generated both terrain and object LOD. The result is the same, I'm getting micro stuttering. So I suppose that this has nothing to do with my esp or my custom objects/matswaps?

Edited by Hedehog17

11 hours ago, Hedehog17 said:

I looked at the texture path and it's pointing to the right path and texture as far as I can tell and I also see the texture on the object. However, if I check the UV's in nifskope they look all funky and warped. https://mega.nz/file/pmYXGLhL#5tqUl-CzWtrxUxNw4nn7BT77wV12J5nGPYvmj0Ii50w

I also tried generating the specific shell roof asset again which produces a level 4 and 8 LOD object that you asked for. The command line prompt ran but it produced no files. I really don't know what's going on. I checked it several times to make sure that there are no empty lines or backspaces.

This what I see in NifSkope for RTRDSouthernCommonwealth.4.4.4.bto. Looks alright.

image.png

The log messages from LODGen might provide a clue if it missed something or not able to read something.

1 hour ago, Hedehog17 said:

I did some further testing. I created a clean new esp, used the same heightmap as in my second worldspace and only put Bethesda vanilla static collections and prefab static buildings into the worldspace. Then I generated both terrain and object LOD. The result is the same, I'm getting micro stuttering. So I suppose that this has nothing to do with my esp or my custom objects/matswaps?

Upload that small mod so I can try to replicate and check myself this weekend.

I just got feedback from my second alpha tester. It appears that both of them don't experience any micro stuttering in my second worldspace with my alpha build while I experience it. I could send the build to you in a dm. Maybe that would be better?

5 hours ago, Hedehog17 said:

I just got feedback from my second alpha tester. It appears that both of them don't experience any micro stuttering in my second worldspace with my alpha build while I experience it. I could send the build to you in a dm. Maybe that would be better?

Sure send download link via PM.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:51 AM, Hedehog17 said:

I installed the mod with the 6 BTO and texture atlas sent earlier and so far I do not seem to notice anything out of the ordinary running around in RTRDSouthernCommonwealth.

When/how exactly does the issue happen? When crossing cell borders that enable/disable LOD or doing something else?

3 hours ago, sheson said:

I installed the mod with the 6 BTO and texture atlas sent earlier and so far I do not seem to notice anything out of the ordinary running around in RTRDSouthernCommonwealth.

When/how exactly does the issue happen? When crossing cell borders that enable/disable LOD or doing something else?

It happens whenever I move around in that worldspace with obj LOD in place. It doesn't matter if I'm entering a new cell or when LOD is being loaded. It's extremely noticable when I'm just moving straight from left to right over the ground without colliding with an additional collision from objects for a couple of seconds while holding my mouse still. The micro lag/stuttering occures every ~2 seconds.

Since you're the third person, and the most knoweldgeable person when it comes to LOD in fallout 4, who can walk around in the worldspace just fine, I guess it's fair to say that this must be a problem specific to my rig/setup and that I can continue to work on that worldspace. If somebody else eventually runs into the same problem, I could maybe try to let somebody else generate object LOD. Thank you so much for your help, now I definitely feel a lot safer. Other than that I don't really know what else could cause the problem.

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 107 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First time user of DynDOLOD and xLODGen here. I've been following this guide (https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen) on generating LODs for my playthrough and I'm stuck at one particular point. The guide is quite clear on most topics, but I can't seem to find an answer with regards to the files I have to make with xLODGen.

I made my terrain meshes and textures just as the guide instructed, but I can't seem to find out what I'm supposed to do with them once they've been generated. Do I install them like a mod using my mod manager? Or do they serve as some kind of input to the subsequent steps of using TexGen and DynDOLOD?

My apologies if I've overlooked something in the above guide but, for the life of me, I can't seem to find out what to do with my terrain meshes and textures.

Thanks for your input,
Pickles

3 hours ago, pickles said:

Hi all,

First time user of DynDOLOD and xLODGen here. I've been following this guide (https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen) on generating LODs for my playthrough and I'm stuck at one particular point. The guide is quite clear on most topics, but I can't seem to find an answer with regards to the files I have to make with xLODGen.

I made my terrain meshes and textures just as the guide instructed, but I can't seem to find out what I'm supposed to do with them once they've been generated. Do I install them like a mod using my mod manager? Or do they serve as some kind of input to the subsequent steps of using TexGen and DynDOLOD?

My apologies if I've overlooked something in the above guide but, for the life of me, I can't seem to find out what to do with my terrain meshes and textures.

Thanks for your input,
Pickles

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/13451-xlodgen-terrain-lod-beta-107-for-fnv-fo3-fo4-fo4vr-tes5-sse-tes5vr-enderal-enderalse/
Then install output as a mod.

Readme.txt
Install the output as a mod.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen#Installation
Just as with TexGen or DynDOLOD, always set and generate into a dedicated output folder and install the output as a mod.

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 108 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

The current version of xLODGen for Fallout 4 seems to have a bug that is causing object LOD to not generate correctly dependent upon pre-existing terrain LOD. If you generate terrain LOD separate, install it, then generate object LOD, the object LOD will be missing a significant number of triangles close to the ground. If, however, you skip generating terrain LOD and just generate object LOD, it will produce visually correct object LOD. The Total Triangles count seems to be mostly the same, though different in this controlled vanilla test with only FO4LODGen resources installed, but the reduced size when the terrain LOD is present indicates a very large reduction.

Fallout-4-Screenshot-2024-02-19-20-36-55Fallout-4-Screenshot-2024-02-19-20-45-43

Terrain LOD Generation logs and related files: https://mega.nz/file/xdBDGLIS#gsdAagtTRCyq9a7MXzgiUsTLWKeF1lejVJQJir8R6zw

Object LOD log and related files when the above generated terrain LOD is present in the load order: https://mega.nz/file/oFBFnCSK#SuQHCT-Sx5pjKYBcivFCnFExF0f7cSUxZEIJY6Uo_J8

Object LOD log and related files when the above generated terrain LOD is NOT present in the load order: https://mega.nz/file/tR5x3JjB#N7VrzLUJDe0W31StcUM2_YSk8lNjT21siOcYIiLBQ9k

6 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

The current version of xLODGen for Fallout 4 seems to have a bug that is causing object LOD to not generate correctly dependent upon pre-existing terrain LOD. If you generate terrain LOD separate, install it, then generate object LOD, the object LOD will be missing a significant number of triangles close to the ground. If, however, you skip generating terrain LOD and just generate object LOD, it will produce visually correct object LOD. The Total Triangles count seems to be mostly the same, though different in this controlled vanilla test with only FO4LODGen resources installed, but the reduced size when the terrain LOD is present indicates a very large reduction.

Fallout-4-Screenshot-2024-02-19-20-36-55Fallout-4-Screenshot-2024-02-19-20-45-43

Terrain LOD Generation logs and related files: https://mega.nz/file/xdBDGLIS#gsdAagtTRCyq9a7MXzgiUsTLWKeF1lejVJQJir8R6zw

Object LOD log and related files when the above generated terrain LOD is present in the load order: https://mega.nz/file/oFBFnCSK#SuQHCT-Sx5pjKYBcivFCnFExF0f7cSUxZEIJY6Uo_J8

Object LOD log and related files when the above generated terrain LOD is NOT present in the load order: https://mega.nz/file/tR5x3JjB#N7VrzLUJDe0W31StcUM2_YSk8lNjT21siOcYIiLBQ9k

It might be a day or two before I can check this.
If this did not happen with 107, test if using is Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe makes a difference.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

It might be a day or two before I can check this.
If this did not happen with 107, test if using is Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe makes a difference.

I know it has been an issue for a while, because I have had users complain about the issue, but it took me awhile to figure out how to reproduce. I believe it started happening with beta version 98.

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I know it has been an issue for a while, because I have had users complain about the issue, but it took me awhile to figure out how to reproduce. I believe it started happening with beta version 98.

Are you honestly telling me that nobody is able to report a problem with the beta version to the thread where it was downloaded or to the xEdit discord for a year?

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Are you honestly telling me that nobody is able to report a problem with the beta version to the thread where it was downloaded or to the xEdit discord for a year?

I hadn't experienced it myself, as I had no reason to regenerate terrain LOD, since landscape data is baked into the precombine. Also, I always did object lod, then terrain LOD, or all at once, so the sequence of steps to reproduce was unclear.