Automatic Variants (by Leviathan1753)

Anosognos

So ... is memory really the only "stress" this puts on the engine? I don't really care about a gajillion types of wolves but I would like some variety among giants, for instance, so I thought about installing a couple of packs.

Problem is I don't know how it assigns textures -- when an area is first loaded? What kind of problems does that cause?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every enemy spawned that has a variant, then a random texture choice will get picked.

The more variants the larger the memory use since a unique texture is required every time.

If you only do giants the impact will almost not be noticeable since they normally spawn few at a time and far between.

So yeah memory is effectively the only thing stressed by this.

You really notice memory problems with mods that add spawns to the animals/creatures that AV has packages for. I think for giants you might check out InsanitySorrow's AV stuff. I think he has a giants package, but it may only be linked on the Beth forums or TES Alliance.

AV actually has support for weapons and armor too, but no one used it.

Oh ok, I see how this works. I'm assuming I have to install this similarly to Dual Sheath Redux Patch (execute it through MO and then create the .esp from the overwrite folder)?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a texture pack? I'm assuming since STEP uses bellyaches animal pack, bellyaches AV pack is an obvious choice? If I install that, do I need the Bellyache's animal pack mod from STEP (not sure if I'm overwriting textures?)