Should i create a merged patch and clean mods with fo3edit?

lv4321

Question

I am planning to add mods that may conflict with each other in the future, would a merged patch ensure that the don't conflict? and with the amount of mods i have right now, is it even necessary?

for the mod cleaning, i heard that you shouldn't do it if you are just an everyday user/casual user and not an experienced modder? Is it even that necessary?

so far is my mod load order, if needed,

https://imgur.com/a/P3E1Z

EDIT: Moved this to the "General" forum as it has nothing specific to Mod Organizer in it.

5 answers to this question

We don't usually recommend a merged patch. Like a bashed patch from Wrye Bash it can merge some levelled lists, but for conflicting records it just chooses the one from a plugin with higher load order. The bashed patch can accept tags which can provide more selective merging, but it does require more setup (adding bashed tags) to provide this and is more complex to run. Bash tags are often available in LOOT for popular mods.

We don't usually recommend a merged patch. Like a bashed patch from Wrye Bash it can merge some levelled lists, but for conflicting records it just chooses the one from a plugin with higher load order. The bashed patch can accept tags which can provide more selective merging, but it does require more setup (adding bashed tags) to provide this and is more complex to run. Bash tags are often available in LOOT for popular mods.

So for MO and fallout 3, merged patches shouldn't be necessary?

It makes no difference whatsoever to MO whether you have merged/bashed/conflict/whatever patch. MO is just a tool to mod/launch the game.

Don't be confused by the option MO presents when installing a mod to 'merge' it. This has nothing to do with the contents of the plugin, just the assets in the archive.

It makes no difference whatsoever to MO whether you have merged/bashed/conflict/whatever patch. MO is just a tool to mod/launch the game.

Don't be confused by the option MO presents when installing a mod to 'merge' it. This has nothing to do with the contents of the plugin, just the assets in the archive.

Oh okay

But all in all, a merged patch using fo3edit is not needed but recommended if you have mods changing the same thing or running over 200 plugins?

I'd be very surprised if you have ~200 plugins active in a Fallout 3 game. The engine is nowhere as robust as Skyrim's and usually it will start to fall over around ~130.

So, yes, If you want to use that many mods you will need to combine a number of those plugins to get the total number down.