Improved Fish - New Fish - More Spawning by Blitz54

MadWizard25

Name: Improved Fish - New Fish - More SpawningAuthor: Blitz54
Category: Content/ Immersion
FPS Intensive: No

Found this neat little mod on nexus. Now that we have gorgeous water as of WATER 1.2, its about time somebody did something about the sterile bodies of water that lie beneath! The mod does exactly what it says, adds life to lakes and rivers in the form of fish. Spawn rate isnt too high, you dont get mobbed by schools of fish or anything. It fits in nicely with the lore and setting of Skyrim, and there is no performance hit that i can tell. Seems stable after running it for about an hour. Only issue is that the fish textures are a little bright with high texture and full sun settings, but this is something the author has mentioned he will try to fix.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14320

Screenshots

https://tinypic.com/r/3482ixj/5

https://tinypic.com/r/33o3z45/5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find. :thumbsup:

It'll bump heads with 101 Bugs because it's also messing with dragonfly spawns, but I would hope that letting 101 override it will be OK.

EDIT: Tytanis commeth to torment the mod purists! It's perfectly fine for those that like that sort of thing, but is it really assimilating smaller mods that become unavailable independently? That's no good at all...

Good find. :thumbsup: It'll bump heads with 101 Bugs because it's also messing with dragonfly spawns' date=' but I would hope that letting 101 override it will be OK.EDIT: Tytanis commeth to torment the mod purists! It's perfectly fine for those that like that sort of thing, but is it really assimilating smaller mods that become unavailable independently? That's no good at all...[/quote']

I wouldn't want to suggest it is 'assimilating' (in a Borg'ian sense ;) ) but once included in a successful compilation there isn't a huge insentive for the modder to continue development and updates for a seperate entity. I hope I am wrong however.

Cheers MontyMM for the note about 101Bugs. I had betterfish ordered after 101, BOSS doesn't recognize it yet, but ill place it before now.

In think the upside to Tytanis is much better compatibility across many small mods, which is always welcome. But there are also downsides, as has been mentioned. Still wary of it though, def not for large number of plugins setups.

Since STEP already has Pond Fish Retexture and this mod does a retext + it adds 14 new fish, should we remove Pond Fish Retexture?

I understand wanting to have the best possible look for Skyrim while using STEP, but overwriting one texture seems a bit much. If TC says that one texture is that much better than another though, I would still defer to his judgement.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. :D Figured I would make an account on here for some fun. :) I'm at my school trying to get past the filter, so I google my mod and apparently you guys recommended it. :P Thank you for looking at it. I noticed that MadWizard finds the fish to bright in the sun. Thank you sooo much for saying so! I had a note for people to tell me if the fish are too bright, but nobody on nexus would. I'll try to get dimmed dow a bit then. :)

Also, I understand blender a lot more now, so I'll be adding some fish with whole new meshes. :D Can't make new animations for them yet though, b/c blender anims cant be imported to Skyrim. but the meshes can. :) Also, I was planning on adding turtles, got the meshes completed, but they may look weird without animations on their "leg". Maybe I'll add some baby turtles that won't need anims just like the pond fish.

Well ya, gotta go to class now, hopefully you people follow my progress. :)

PS I don't like the rating of prisoner. XD

Hey nice to see you here Blitz :) I totally forgot to let you know i posted a review here, usually i post that i have on the comments thread for the mod, and i should have let you know about the brightness. In any case, the fish are less bright now, since the STEP 2.1.0 update, so i suspect that the brightness issues have nothing to do with your textures, but rather what sort of lighting mod, such as RCRN/ URWL/ ENB, that the user has. I also plan to to add some more screenshots to the review! Need to capture a stringray in action :D

IMO this should have been included in the latest STEP setup, no idea why it wasn't, as it is on par with Birds and Flocks.

I agree this could well be a good candidate for upcoming STEP. But with one warning, this could very easily become a victim of bloat as more and more fish &etc get added.

My advice for the author would be to hold back on more additions for now and concentrate on trying to learn how to get those animations working, that would be a definate selling point :)

Good point BW. I would recommend the version without the stingrays atm. Also, following your logic, SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators could also be viewed as bloat increasing, with all the additional critters :) So far ive noticed no bloat, but i havnt been looking for it. Then again i also regularly clear cells by waiting 31 days, so who knows?

@MadW

Actually I meant more bloated in the mod than in the game - although I guess the one does follow from the other. I don't think it is 'yet' but it's possible it could go that way and I just thought Blitz might be better off concentrating on the quality aspects of the mod than the quantity. Just IMHO of course.