Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.21

sheson

Question

DynDOLOD 2.19/2.20 / 2.21 condensed update post | Full Update Post | Skyrim Special Edition

What’s New?

This updates includes minor speed improvements for DynDOLOD.exe and TexGen.exe, 64 bit executables and visual improvements for billboards used as static LOD (higher LOD levels 8/16) if using the ultra tree LOD option. Of course there are also a few updates for a couple mods.

See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

64 bit executables

To avoid confusion, this has nothing to do with Skyrim SE being 64 bit. Just going with the flow. There is no requirement for this right now, but it will work natively with 64 bit managers or if executed directly. 64 bit versions are a tiny bit slower due to a couple reasons, but obviously they will allow for more data to be loaded... in the future... for insanely large load orders. Another long term benefit is, that the 64 bit changes are merged back into xEdit sources.

Improvements for billboards used as static LOD

When using the ultra tree option and you ever thought far away trees or trees on the map look too dark or too bright, check out the new Trees on the Map section in docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html. The new default settings should already result in better lighting behavior. If not try any of the additional tips from the manual. To update an existing save game, it is enough to just do an update generation with the existing DynDOLOD.esp in the load order. Then no clean save cycle is required. Just a save in an interior before updating.

Persistent references

There is a new switch Temporary=0/1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini, which instructs the patcher to use less persistent references. This is for users who have so many mods installed and suffer from CTD when clicking new as we discussed recently. The downside is, that by using temporary references more plugins may have to be used as masters and the generated DynDOLOD.esp will be larger, because of additional CELL data that needs to be copied. If you do not have any problems starting the game there should be no reason to use this setting.

Mods Requiring DynDOLOD

Spice of Life - Orc Strongholds - overwrite meshes from DynDOLOD Resources with the ones included in the mod

Verified working out of the box - included rules

Wind's Rest Estate - A Whiterun Tundra Home

Ayleid Palace Remastered

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Settlements Expanded

Greater Skaal Village

Whiteraven Manor

Tactical Valtheim

Dwemer Manor

JKs Skaal village

Dolmen Ruins - ESO Dark Anchors

Peak Aspens - Billboards included in versions for DynDOLOD/TES5LODGen in optional files

Fantasy Forest Overhaul - Billboards included in versions for DynDOLOD/TES5LODGen in optional files

DynDOLOD 2.21 - Download from Mega, Nexus

DynDOLOD Resources 2.20 - Download from Mega, Nexus

DynDOLOD Patches 2.22 - Download from Mega, Nexus

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.19]DynDOLOD.exe - added xespignore file for XESP markers to ignore instead of the one hardcoded dunCGOutsideClutterMarker from intro scene

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes not correctly identifying Has Tree LOD flag on base records

DynDOLOD.exe - added settings FlatLODLightingEffect, FlatLODGlowMap and FlatLODLevelLODFlat to DynDOLOD.ini, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added a switch Temporary to use less persistent references for overloaded load orders, will result in more plugins required as masters and larger esp

DynDOLOD.exe - added verbose switch for LODGen.exe to DynDOLOD.ini

DynDOLOD.exe - updated reading existing tree LOD to be able to read btt data from BSA

DynDOLOD.exe - some minor performance improvements

DynDOLOD.exe - changed log filename to DynDOLOD_log.txt

DynDOLOD.exe - added a x64 version

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - some minor performance improvements

TexGen.exe - changed log filename to TexGen_log.txt

TexGen.exe - added a x64 version

LODGen.exe - added optional --inputfile path/to/file command line parameter, first parameter just being path/to/file still works too

LODGen.exe - make billboards soft lighting behave more similar to vanilla tree LOD (FlatLODLightingEffect and FlatLODGlowMap)

LODGen.exe - added setting LOD Objects flag for higher LOD levels on billboards (FlatLODLevelLODFlat)

LODGen.exe - added a x64 version

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - updated compatibility information for several mods

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes for better compatibility with mods

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.20]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a list assignment

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

DynDOLOD Resources - Papyrus Scripts - fixed a race condition

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.21]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a case of removing entire worlds when removing empty cells

DynDOLOD.exe - added an installation path check

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - updated compatibility information for several mods

DynDOLOD Patches - added script patches for Caranthir Tower Reborn 2.x

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.22]

DynDOLOD Patches - fixed a typo in Wizard.txt

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skryim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.18

The patcher should not touch occlusion planes or anything that uses a base record with form id < 800 hex or has IsMarker flag set. Check what overwrites the occlusion plane in xEdit.

Hey She's in. I figured this out. It wasn't Dyndolod. It was my lacking mod knowledge that was to blame. I didn't know that I had to esmify a esp to be able to make changes to it in another mod. I did that after Arthmoor told me to and all is good now.

Edit: autocorrect. Should be sheson

I'm using the latest enb binaries 0.308 with Tetrachromatic ENB preset by Slothability (Here's a link). Using his version for Vivid weathers (since i'm using Vivid Weathers)

I managed to actually find what ENB option eliminates the issue. 'Ignore Weather System' under 'Objects' tab is ON by default in my ENB preset (checked). Turning it off (unchecked) completely eliminates the issue.

Also enabling occlusion culling in ENB reduces frequency of flickering (flickering becames completely random).

Other options don't do anything with it (ofc except turning objects processing off). I made a screenshot with two options which influence somehow on the issue 

Thanks, I will see if I can replicate with all the info. Can take a bit.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for whatever you did in 2.21 - TexGen has dropped from around 8 minutes to 2m30s, and DynDOLOD has dropped from 47m53s to just 19m17s on all worlds gen.  Fantastic given how many times I find myself regening!

I figured after generating myself for a million times I should probably turn on some kind of turbo boost so I get stuff done quicker.

• +1 1

I'm using the latest enb binaries 0.308 with Tetrachromatic ENB preset by Slothability (Here's a link). Using his version for Vivid weathers (since i'm using Vivid Weathers)

I managed to actually find what ENB option eliminates the issue. 'Ignore Weather System' under 'Objects' tab is ON by default in my ENB preset (checked). Turning it off (unchecked) completely eliminates the issue.

Also enabling occlusion culling in ENB reduces frequency of flickering (flickering becames completely random).

Other options don't do anything with it (ofc except turning objects processing off). I made a screenshot with two options which influence somehow on the issue 

This is related to specular objects settings. Please download this beta version of LODGen.exe and generate static object LOD for Tamriel again.

To only update the BTO files, you can just "Execute LODGen.exe" in expert mode for the Tamriel worldspace. It will use the last export file so there is no need to rescan or update the esp etc.

Enable expert mode in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini by setting Expert=1

Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

This is related to specular objects settings. Please download this beta version of LODGen.exe and generate static object LOD for Tamriel again.

To only update the BTO files, you can just "Execute LODGen.exe" in expert mode for the Tamriel worldspace. It will use the last export file so there is no need to rescan or update the esp etc.

Enable expert mode in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini by setting Expert=1

Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Did it. I tested for about 10 minutes, tried different ENB options and different weather ids. Couldn't reproduce it anymore. Seems like it's gone.

Thanks a lot

Did it. I tested for about 10 minutes, tried different ENB options and different weather ids. Couldn't reproduce it anymore. Seems like it's gone.

Thanks a lot

That is great news. Thanks for helping narrowing it down and to help fixing the problem.

It looks like you installed DynDOLOD Standalone as a mod in MO. Do not do that.

Install it into a new 'DynDOLOD' folder outside of special OS folders like 'Programs Files' or 'Program Files (x86)', the SteamApps or game folders and Mod Organizers virtual file structure.

I've done this (have always done this) but am having this same problem. It won't go past the Atlas ... whatever.

Okay, never mind (as yet).

Edited by rayhne

Hi Sheson, I've been testing the overload condition with both a Temporary=0 and Temporary=1 setting for the output and have some results as compared with v2.14, which was the version I previously had installed (not counting 2.20).

First, whatever you did since 2.14, it shows a definite and consistent improvement in the number of mods that can be added to the load order without triggering the CTD dunc and I have been experiencing (I realize I'm stepping out on a limb here since dunc hasn't actually reported back any results yet as far as v.2.21). Some mods or mod combinations that systematically CTDed Skyrim with version 2.14 and earlier now no longer do so. For example, adding just WeissadlersHamlet-3-0 to my standard load order was a sure-fire CTD with 2.14, but this now works with 2.21. Same thing as far as adding Here There Be Monsters V6 plus Here There Be Monsters - The Call Of Cthulhu V6. I can also add 2 or 3 mid-sized mods more.

However...that is all that can be added before the same CTDs strike again, and in all cases countref is way, way short of 65 535 persistent references.

Also, my results are the same whether I use the DynDOLOD output created with Temporary=0 or Temporary=1.

Some fairly large worldspace mods that didn't load before (like Rochester https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52556/?) now do. Others, like Aether Suite (https://mod.dysintropi.me/aether-suite-3-4-0-operation-verthandi/) still only load when DynDOLOD (or another equally large mod) is disabled. And, BTW, Aether Suite has no worldspace, just cells with persistent and temporary references.

I'm not sure what to make of all this.

Edited by Sundder

Hi Sheson, I've been testing the overload condition with both a Temporary=0 and Temporary=1 setting for the output and have some results as compared with v2.14, which was the version I previously had installed (not counting 2.20).

First, whatever you did since 2.14, it shows a definite and consistent improvement in the number of mods that can be added to the load order without triggering the CTD dunc and I have been experiencing (I realize I'm stepping out on a limb here since dunc hasn't actually reported back any results yet as far as v.2.21). Some mods or mod combinations that systematically CTDed Skyrim with version 2.14 and earlier now no longer do so. For example, adding just WeissadlersHamlet-3-0 to my standard load order was a sure-fire CTD with 2.14, but this now works with 2.21. Same thing as far as adding Here There Be Monsters V6 plus Here There Be Monsters - The Call Of Cthulhu V6. I can also add 2 or 3 mid-sized mods more.

However...that is all that can be added before the same CTDs strike again, and in all cases countref is way, way short of 65 535 persistent references.

Also, my results are the same whether I use the DynDOLOD output created with Temporary=0 or Temporary=1.

Some fairly large worldspace mods that didn't load before (like Rochester https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52556/?) now do. Others, like Aether Suite (https://mod.dysintropi.me/aether-suite-3-4-0-operation-verthandi/) still only load when DynDOLOD (or another equally large mod) is disabled. And, BTW, Aether Suite has no worldspace, just cells with persistent and temporary references.

I'm not sure what to make of all this.

It is good news you can push further, because it means that we are generally on the right track. If all (linked) persistent cells combined are less than 65535, I wonder if there could be temporary cells that exceed that same limit, or if the combined loaded ugrid of cells 5x5 = 25, or the ugrid + the persistent cells together are a limit. Who knows, may interior cells linked to Tamriel matter too.  Records in currently not loaded cells should not matte, but who knows, maybe there is a total limit for a worldspace of specific "things" combined.

If you can't load/CTD with too many mods, try cow tamriel 0 -64 from main menu and see if that loads.

Hello there!
I try running DynDOLOD with different settings, as I'm dealing with random soft CTD's (game just exits without error).  I'm following a modding guide (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76373/?) with 98% 2k textures, ELFX and Rudy ENB.  Everything works fine with DynDOLOD disabled (always checking with a new game), and when enabled, I get random CTD, occuring from a couple of seconds to 10-15 minutes, always (I think) outdoor.

What I've done so far (not in particular order), outside every step in that particular modding guide :

• Cleaned every "dirty" mods with TES5Edit (following Gopher's video)
  • Let LOOT sort everything
  • Installed DynDOLOD (following GamerPoets' videos) with high 512, high 256 and med 512 settings
  • Check with Performance Monitor if I get any spikes in VRAM or RAM (I don't)
  • Tried OneTweak (no difference)
  • TexGen finishes without errors
  • DynDOLOD finishes without errors and loads correctly in-game, and with ENBooster (no error message in-game at all)
  • Papyrus logs show nothing obvious.

Sooooo, yeah... I'm now asking the pros here, as I don't really know where to go from here!  I have a .rar archive with logs and .ini's.

Now, as I'm reading posts in here, I guess it's possible I have the same problem as Sundder, "too much persistent references", as I have a lot of texture replacements?

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64, 16Gb ram, i7-2600k, GTX 1070 FTW at 1920x1080.

Thank you all!

Hi Cam, the problem I (and a few others) experience is being unable to start a new game at all or load any save when we have too many mods in our load order. You're problem sounds more like you're running out of memory. You didn't mention that you use Crash Fixes (with it's OSAllocators enabled); if you don't, you should know that it can really help with this.

Hello there!

I try running DynDOLOD with different settings, as I'm dealing with random soft CTD's (game just exits without error).  I'm following a modding guide (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76373/?) with 98% 2k textures, ELFX and Rudy ENB.  Everything works fine with DynDOLOD disabled (always checking with a new game), and when enabled, I get random CTD, occuring from a couple of seconds to 10-15 minutes, always (I think) outdoor.

What I've done so far (not in particular order), outside every step in that particular modding guide :

• Cleaned every "dirty" mods with TES5Edit (following Gopher's video)
  • Let LOOT sort everything
  • Installed DynDOLOD (following GamerPoets' videos) with high 512, high 256 and med 512 settings
  • Check with Performance Monitor if I get any spikes in VRAM or RAM (I don't)
  • Tried OneTweak (no difference)
  • TexGen finishes without errors
  • DynDOLOD finishes without errors and loads correctly in-game, and with ENBooster (no error message in-game at all)
  • Papyrus logs show nothing obvious.

Sooooo, yeah... I'm now asking the pros here, as I don't really know where to go from here!  I have a .rar archive with logs and .ini's.

Now, as I'm reading posts in here, I guess it's possible I have the same problem as Sundder, "too much persistent references", as I have a lot of texture replacements?

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64, 16Gb ram, i7-2600k, GTX 1070 FTW at 1920x1080.

Thank you all!

Check the FAQ: Skyrim: ILS or CTD entry.

It is good news you can push further, because it means that we are generally on the right track. If all (linked) persistent cells combined are less than 65535, I wonder if there could be temporary cells that exceed that same limit, or if the combined loaded ugrid of cells 5x5 = 25, or the ugrid + the persistent cells together are a limit. Who knows, may interior cells linked to Tamriel matter too.  Records in currently not loaded cells should not matte, but who knows, maybe there is a total limit for a worldspace of specific "things" combined.

If you can't load/CTD with too many mods, try cow tamriel 0 -64 from main menu and see if that loads.

Hi Sheson, o.k., I've tried a number of combinations where I seem to be just short of not crashing and while using cow tamriel 0 -64 at the main menu doesn't result in a CTD, it does result in an ILS. Sort of the way Alternate Start did (though Alternate start produced a page flip sound and no load screen model).

Hi!

Im geting memory allocation errors everytime i install DYNDOLOD to my LO. I installed SRLE LOTD Reqtified large modlist. I got memory allocation error few /1-5/ minutes ingame and game freezes with need of task manager quit. I tought its too heavy on my system /i7 4770K 3.5,GTX 980 4GB,16GB RAM,SSD, Win7/. Skyrim Performance Monitor shows max memory 4150MB, VRAM 3670MB. 

So i trimed down City,Flora,Texture mods. Now SPM shows max values RAM 3550MB,VRAM 2950MB...so definetly lower load. Thing is even on lower load if i load DYNDOLOD in i get the same memory allocation error and Skyrim freezes. Without DYNDOLOD i can roam around Skyrim on trimed down LO and even on full modlist of SRLE LOTD Reqtified. Installing DYNDOLOD doesnt change SPM monitored values of my system load very much. I used DYNDOLOD before with no problems and no noticeable performance impact. 

Im merging and unmerging /installing uninstalling and testing the whole LO few days now and just today found the DYNDOLOD somhow does this. Is there something to be done that i cant find or escapes my attention? So why is DYNDOLOD causing my memory problems if i have enough of memory and even on much lower strain of my system?

Hi!

Im geting memory allocation errors everytime i install DYNDOLOD to my LO. I installed SRLE LOTD Reqtified large modlist. I got memory allocation error few /1-5/ minutes ingame and game freezes with need of task manager quit. I tought its too heavy on my system /i7 4770K 3.5,GTX 980 4GB,16GB RAM,SSD, Win7/. Skyrim Performance Monitor shows max memory 4150MB, VRAM 3670MB. 

So i trimed down City,Flora,Texture mods. Now SPM shows max values RAM 3550MB,VRAM 2950MB...so definetly lower load. Thing is even on lower load if i load DYNDOLOD in i get the same memory allocation error and Skyrim freezes. Without DYNDOLOD i can roam around Skyrim on trimed down LO and even on full modlist of SRLE LOTD Reqtified. Installing DYNDOLOD doesnt change SPM monitored values of my system load very much. I used DYNDOLOD before with no problems and no noticeable performance impact. 

Im merging and unmerging /installing uninstalling and testing the whole LO few days now and just today found the DYNDOLOD somhow does this. Is there something to be done that i cant find or escapes my attention? So why is DYNDOLOD causing my memory problems if i have enough of memory and even on much lower strain of my system?

Define "having enough memory" when usage is reportedly 3550/4150MB RAM for a 32 bit windows application that can only use about 3.1GB user space (the rest of the 4GB RAM limit is needed/reserved for windows/drivers and other dlls).

Also, memory can become fragmented which means there can be enough free memory reported, but it is split into small chunks so that the next allocation can not reserve the continuous amount it needs.

Since you are using crash fixes OSAllocators you should check over there what to do when it can not allocate more memory and about its CustomMemoryBlock settings.

You could test using vanilla heap memory allocation instead. Optimize ENBoost settings following a guide. Generate LOD which uses less memory. Read the Performance section of the manual.

Edited by sheson

Define "having enough memory" when usage is reportedly 3550/4150MB RAM for a 32 bit windows application that can only use about 3.1GB user space (the rest of the 4GB RAM limit is needed/reserved for windows/drivers and other dlls).

Also, memory can become fragmented which means there can be enough free memory reported, but it is split into small chunks so that the next allocation can not reserve the continuous amount it needs.

Since you are using crash fixes OSAllocators you should check over there what to do when it can not allocate more memory and about its CustomMemoryBlock settings.

You could test using vanilla heap memory allocation instead. Optimize ENBoost settings following a guide. Generate LOD which uses less memory. Read the Performance section of the manual.

I have CustomMemoryBlocksTotalSizeMB=128 and the console blocks show under 90% and some under70%.. When AlighHeapAllocate=1 i crash even sooner than when its set to 0.  

I tried lowering TexGen to 128 and DynDolod to medium but even then i get freeze and even on slimed down LO 3550/2950VRAM.  

I have ENBOOST configured and tried to set all the things needed via STEP guides. People on SRLE LOTD Reqtified forum where i tried to solve this are helpful and some run all the setup on weaker systems. If its nothing more to be done that escapes them and me...my conclusion is that my specs /may they be better than others runing SRLE setup/ simply cant run even lowered LO with DynDolod. But without its no problem even running all the modlist.