Sovngarde Font Replacer (by MistValkyrie)

Kesta

Sovngarde Font Replacer

by MistValkyrie

A font replacer for Skyrim.

Currently in Nexus hot files. This is one of the very few font replacer that :

- Have full support for every language (except for a few polish characters that the author is working on).

- Doesn't look :

* ridiculously big or ridiculously small,

* nor ridiculously fancy (near-unreadable),

* and not ridiculously next-gen (like the default font... i really hate this one).

- Look nice and smooth.

- Look "lore-friendly".

Suggesting this for STEP as replacement for the current Fertigo Pro from Main Font Replacement:

Both look pretty good and have that feel of "not so fancy but still better integrated than the super modern default font".

However, I feel that the multi-language support is a plus for a large-audience guide like STEP is. Plus whoever is going to upgrade to 2.2.10 should be pleased by the subtle change. Interface grow boring over time :p 

Edited by Kesta

I've been running your font for a couple of days and am wondering if there is any way to reduce the drop shadow effect? In my opinion it is making it look a little cartoon-like. And I'm not sure why but it doesn't look as 'fine' on my screen as it does in the screenshots on Nexus, almost like it's semi-heavy. I really like the work that's gone into it, and really appreciate a good font. So if possible it would be good to have a less bold/thin version with half the shadow :)

Edited by dunc001

That's not "my" font, I'm just posting this here on STEP to "share the news" (though it's already shared as it is in hot files), and to open the discussion about it  ::P:

So for your problem, I strongly suggest that you head to the mod's page to ask the author himself directly, preferably with screenshots of what you mean ;) 

I tried it as a replacement for Fertigo myself, but unfortunately despite it's "lore-friendly" appearance, it's not as legible in game. The horizontal width feels a bit condensed, and that doesn't help with readability. I like it stylistically, but in the end, what matters most if how practical a font is for it's intended use. 

I don't have this feeling personally, but those perception-based things are definitely different from one person to an other. Maybe screen ratio also impact this ? Though I'm pretty sure we're all playing in 16:9

On a related subject (Font mods), I wrote a small technical article for those who'd like to understand a bit more what's going on with fonts mods here

Cool, you should make that a Guide unless you just want to keep it in your user space.

I added the Advanced Topic category to the page. Not sure if that's enough to turn it into a guide, or if I need to change the address to something like /Guide:UnderstandingFonts. If yes, I have no idea how I'm supposed to change this (other than duplicating the page ?)

I added the Advanced Topic category to the page. Not sure if that's enough to turn it into a guide, or if I need to change the address to something like /Guide:UnderstandingFonts. If yes, I have no idea how I'm supposed to change this (other than duplicating the page ?)

You may not have access to do it. It's done by moving the page.

Well, I should say a page move isn't really necessary. The category you added will still allow it to show up in the Advanced Topics portion of the Guides page. I added the template for the TOC.

Actually I discovered the move option, so I just did it. 

After trying this out, I find it a little distracting in-game. Those "W"s really stand out to me. The font in general, is a bit of a personal taste as are most fonts. The main reason I've stuck with Main Font Replace is because the user has several options to choose from if they don't like Fertigo. As in my case, I've been using Centaur and have become accustomed to it.

Just a comment regarding fonts in general. For body text, a serif font is best, since the little "feet" of the characters create a visual line, which allows the eye to more easily scan across the page and not lose its place. Sans serif is mainly used for headlines, and smaller highlighted blocks of text.

Creating a typeface yourself is not a simple matter, despite the fact that the tools can be used by anyone. Sovngarde is based on the Skyrim title font, which is not the ideal thing to be used for body text. The requirements for a title are very different from something that will be read in lines of copy. There's a reason why there's a separation between web fonts and print fonts. Many fonts that function well in print do not hold up as well at screen resolutions. Obviously, people are using higher resolution screens than they used to, but the distinction still holds for the most part.

None of this is said to detract from the work that the author did. Making a font and all the details that must be considered in the process is not a small thing.

Edited by Gamwich