Suddenly No Longer Works

Barachiel

Question

Okay, this is ****ed up.  I went to bed last night, with New Vegas + F&LNV working.

I get up this morning, update the LODGen and Bashed Patch to finalize the tweaks I made last night.

Game is now broken.  I get a black screen for a few moments, then a crash.

If I disable all mods, I get a black screen with a block for a cursor that seems to show a tiny bit of the main menu where the cursor should be, and a crash if I click on anything.  I do get the ENB splash screen however.

I've deleted INI files and ENB files.  Nothing.  Game just doesn't work anymore.  WTF?

If I run FNVEdit and let it load, it finds no problems.  

Edited by Barachiel

9 answers to this question

Are all archives ticked under MO's archives tab? Is Fallout - Invalidation.bsa sorted first in the same list?

Are any mods missing masters?

Yes, no, and no, in that order.  I've never used Fallout - Invalidation.bsa.

I can run the game outside of Mod Organizer without issue.

If I try to run it THROUGH Mod Organizer, with mods, no mods, any profile, it will not work.  The only difference is in how it fails.  

I've tried NVSE, 4GB loader, and the default launcher.  All fail.  

Edited by Barachiel

You said you deleted the .inis. Did you run the launcher from MO afterwards to let it remake them? Remember that MO stores .inis for profiles separately so deleting the default .inis won't do anything (good). 

I asked three questions, do you mean yes, yes and no or yes, no and don't know? Is archive invalidation ticked in the profile menu (hit  from the drop down menu)?

Do you have all the ordinarily required BSAs? See this picture for reference:

YVLqa4L.jpg

Check this thread to see if anything sounds familiar.

Yes, Yes, and No.  I use the Automatic Archive Invalidation feature of MO.  

Yes I have all the BSAs in that picture.

I'm retrying the deleting INI method you described.  Like an idiot, I only deleted the standard non-MO inis.

EDIT:  Nope, that didn't work either.  Wiped the profile INIs, used the launcher to recreate them.  Still no joy.

EDIT2:  Nothing in that thread helped.

EDIT3:  I've tried the Default Profile, new profiles.  FNV will NOT run through Mod Organizer anymore.  If I have mods enables, it crashes on a black screen.  If I disable all mods, I crash on the first splash screen.  If I run it without Mod Organizer, everything works fine.  

I mad NO CHANGES to MO last night. W.  T.  F.  

Edited by Barachiel

Welp, I got fed up, deleted my New Vegas and Mod Organizer intalls.  Reinstalled them fresh, copied over the MO mods directory and the appropriate profile from a backup I made, and LO AND BEHOLD, everything works.

Again, I ask... W.  T.  F?

I'm sorry I wasn't here to say this - had an unusually busy day - but remember that you can backup the MO folder so you don't lose your mods when doing a reinstall (or just backup the "Mod Organizer/mods" folder if you don't want to keep your profiles).

That's what I did, and why the install only took half the afternoon and not all bloody day.  

Something broke in MO, and I have no idea what, but its working now. 

I know it's too late for you, but here's for future reference.

Had this problem myself, it's actually very easy to fix. (at least it was for me)

All you have to do is re-enable the bsa's in Mod Manager that for some reason get disabled sometimes (for me it was due to the creation of a new profile)

You'll find the 'Archive' tab on the right-hand-side of Mod Manager.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/4flo16/fnv_help_need_help_detecting_which_mod_is_causing/?st=iqsjnpdj&sh=e1c8e903

post-9771-0-60814300-1468878494_thumb.png

Edited by BarryChuckle