Unexplained issues... caused by 4GB enabler, perhaps

Snarkyfork

Question

I am not going to keep asking around and bugging people but I wanted to check at least one more time before I throw in the towel and go back to playing Fallout 4.

I have cleaned my esp's thoroughly, sorted my load order correctly (as far as I know), followed the F&LNV guide as closely as possible, and double/triple checked everything.

I have been experiencing unexplained strangeness that I cannot pinpoint as being caused by any one particular mod. After playing a while, for example, the sun rays disappear from the sun, sometimes the menu on my pipboy partially locks up becoming unclickable (as well as the main (esc) menu) leaving me with no choice but to use task manager to close the game. When the action gets intense and too many bullets are fired too quickly little things start to happen like the sound for bullets going in and out, long lag/wait times when opening menus or trying to save the game, etc. It's almost as if the game engine itself is not responding correctly or its somehow messing up my PC. Even when I try to use task manager during these times my whole computer locks up making me have to do a hard power down by holding the power button for 5 seconds then reboot.

I am not using ENBoost or an ENB since the stutter is annoying. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (Intel 6th gen @ 4.1 ghz, Nvidia 980M with 8GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM).

I just want to ask if there are any "little" things I may be missing? Like for example, I am running NVSE, FalloutNV.exe, and the 4GB Enabler exe all as administrator, although I don't think anyone told me to do so. Are there any compatibility settings or tips that I may have missed? 

Could this be caused by the game running out of memory? Should I go back to using the ENBoost (since the guide recommends it) and just live with the stuttering?

Edited by Snarkyfork

3 answers to this question

There is no real reason to run anything as administrator. The better option is to install everything into a folder not under UAC.

On the other hand MO may experience difficulties if you try and run some things with elevated permissions, ie. as administrator, when it, MO, is run from an user account.

If there are processes created to run in memory that MO cannot gain access to you will suffer issues, this is why all the guides recommend NOT running anything from MO as administrator.

I turned off "run as admin" on everything and some of the strangeness/freezing has stopped. It's actually running alright now (knock on wood), at the very least its playable. It's hard to remember all the little details since I got a new computer and have spent the last 3 weeks or so installing and modding all the Bethesda games, my Skyrim game (with the mod manager folder) is nearly 70 gigs. For Fallout 3 I believe I have to run FOSE in admin to get it to work with Steam (if I recall correctly) and I just figured it wouldn't hurt to do the same for NV, you know? It's odd how different/quirky the game engines can be.

The issue I was having with the pipboy becoming un-clickable is apparently a known problem. There was a fix for it for Windows 8 but not for Windows 10 I guess. I read that YUP was supposed to fix it and if so then that fix is not working for me. It happens when mousing over the pipboy map then closing the pipboy, you become bugged and cannot click on some of the menu buttons. In order to fix it (in game) you can just mouse over the map again then switch from "data" to Item or stats and its back to normal. The other problems (at least most of them) seemed to be caused by running the game as admin and having more than 135 esp's (I had 137, even though over 20 of them were disabled through the bashed patch). Regardless, my game is running good now and I appreciate all the help from the STEP team here. Thanks again.

Edited by Snarkyfork