Having issue with Main Menu and game, no graphics

mcshame

Question

Having some real trouble with the initial STEPS , completed up to 2C and about to start the actual modding.  However, when running Skyrim, there is no smoke or cursor on the main menu screen but sound and selections with keyboards work. When I start a game, no graphics, just sound. I did a steam integrity check, reinstalled Steam, no joy. I tried removing the "WrapperVersion d3d9.dll and the graphics came back. So it seems to be an issue with the ENB binary setup?  I am at a lost on how to troubleshoot this and make it work as a STEP Skyrim was the primary reason I just build my new rig. I have to believe this has happened to others, any assistance would be appreciated.  I am packing in for the night, can't see straight anymore. Thanks

13 answers to this question

Ok, new morning, new day.  Ready to solve this problem.  I'll give some more details:

CPU Intel Core i5-4690k

2 x 8G DDR3 - 2133

NVIDIA MSI GTX 960 4G

I just cleanup everything out(Skyrim directory, document file, Mod org gone, fresh start as I didn't get that far).  I also uninstall NVIDIA GeForce Experience just in-case. BTW, Skyrim runs perfect in vanilla form.

I sincerely appreciate the help, so excited to see Skyrim modded on a PC as I was coming from PS3!

Edited by mcshame

I'm on Windows 10

Yes, I followed those instructions. I used the "WrapperVersion" 3 files. All my edits were through mod organizer. I didn't do the optional, didn't have that issue (didn't get far enough to see it). When I was troubleshooting, I noticed in the ENB readme it said this:

WARNING!

bFloatPointRenderTarget=1 must be set in SkyrimPrefs.ini file to make this mod work.
Start SkyrimLauncher.exe to configure your video options again.

I tried that as well, no change.  Should that be done? Didn't notice that step in the guide (at least to this point).

I'm doing a clean install right now, when I get to that point, I'll post the enblocal.ini

ok, being very careful.  Just ran Skyrim thru Mod Organizer PRIOR to touching INI files, everything good.  Doing ini file updates through Mod Organizer now

I realize that I'm supposed to run Skyrim through SKSE but that setup comes after the ENboost setup, should I flip them so that I can confirm that Skyrim launches with the ini changes correctly and then proceed to ENboost setup?

Edited by mcshame

If I follow the default STEP guideline, am I or am I not using EMBoost? I've seen the question asked in the ini config and now the NVIDIA setting optimization step.  It seems to assume that I'm not but I'm clearly using in in the next step.

Edited by mcshame

Success! Got to this point (SKSE), no issues this time.  Obviously an error 13 (13" from the keyboard).  Your assistance is much appreciated.  Hope I wasn't too much a bother, may have another thread pop up when I run into trouble later ;) 

Cheers from cold Canada...

EDIT: Actually, I do still have a minor problem, will explain in next post

Edited by mcshame

When I try to run Skyrim Performance Monitor OR MSI Gaming app (which does boost and displays FPS, GPU, etc), I get the black screen for graphics and just the text/music going. When I used performance monitor, launched to mod organizer, then SKSE. For the MSI app, had to shut it down to get it to work.

In Skyrim Performance Monitor, click Setup, click the Miscellaneous Settings tab, and make sure "Attempt Support for Custom D3D9.dll" is checked.

In the File Paths tab, make sure Skyrim Launcher File Path is pointing to Mod Organizer.

The sequence will then be run Skyrim Performance Monitor, click Launch Skyrim to run Mod Organizer, and then run SKSE in Mod Organizer to play the game.