How important is texture optimization for high VRAM setups?

Dayfather

Question

I'm in the processes of installing following F&LNV and I'm wondering how necessary texture optimization will be for my setup. I have a GTX 980Ti with 6GB VRAM a 3770K CPU @ 4.7GHz and 16GB RAM and using a 1440p resolution.

I've opted to use higher resolution textures then F&LNV where available (Large NMC textures, UHQ Ojo Bueno instead of Poco Bueno, etc) and ENB. I'm at the Additional Gameplay part of the guide so all textures should now be installed and when I fire everything up for testing my FPS seems fine while running around Goodsprings other then chugging for the first second or two after loading the save game. Would you recommend still running DDSopt, if so can I choose higher constraints then those recommended in the guide (i.e. 4096x4096 for both textures and normals)?

3 answers to this question

There is no point with that much memory. The benefits are only present if you have low amounts of memory. 

Also a constraint of 4k would only do something if you had higher than 4k resolution.... and almost no textures are that large. And the ones that are essentially do not provide anything other than bragging rights. 

The optimization process can help with a mods that didn't use the most efficient compression or forgot to include mipmaps (a set of smaller versions of the item) in the texture file. It also helps, of course, when you need to reduce texture size. For Fallout NV VRAM use isn't typically nearly as high as what your card supports, so reducing texture resolution isn't usually necessary.