First Launch after Finishing Guide - Freezes at Start Screen

PenSwordXII

Question

Hi, everyone! I did several test-runs while I was partway through following the F&L guide to the letter, but not since roughly around the time to install armor retextures (Clothing is Not Optional).

This evening I finally ran FNVLODGen, ran LOOT, and created my Bashed Patch, and when I boot the game through the 4GB loader the first thing I notice is the little Vault Boy head doesn't appear in the bottom left corner when the Bethesda logo comes up. Then, when the title screen fades in, the title and start menu UI don't appear. It just shows the image of the desert ranger while the music plays, and I have to quit the game through the Task Manager.

Do I have to systematically untick each plugin, launch, and Ctrl+Alt+Del until I find a culprit that I installed incorrectly? Or does anyone have some thoughts that might narrow it down?

This is probably unrelated, knowing my luck, but the Bashed Patch I created has a red & white X flag next to it in MO's left panel that says "No valid game data." That just stood out to me.

Many, MANY thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

This is probably unrelated, knowing my luck, but the Bashed Patch I created has a red & white X flag next to it in MO's left panel that says "No valid game data." That just stood out to me.

If the mod in the 'Left-hand' pane is showing that flag and text it is because it contains nothing. Most likely you made an error when creating your bashed patch.

At the very least you should see the file "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" and there also should be a folder called 'Docs' and a MO created file called "meta.ini".

The mod can be examined by either 'Right-click' -- 'Information' > 'Filetree' or by double-click -- 'Filetree'.

If it is empty then simply delete the mod and create a new patch with Wrye Bash and then create it from the contents of the 'Overwrite' folder.

All of my archives were checked. I basically went back and redid almost all installs just in case, and tried launching the game periodically every few mods. The problem seems to lie with the no-cheat version for merging Millenia's Additional Weapons. After following the FNVEdit directions for deleting "Cell" and the errors under Forms for each gun, the game won't launch.

If I delete the merged mod and use the individual esps it works, and if I merge the mod regularly it also works. I'm OK with simply ignoring all the guns scattered around Doc Mitchell's house, but it seems like there might be something wrong with the method directed in the guide. I went through the steps several times to be sure I was doing it right.