Skyrim 1.8 Beta

Current hypothesis about the new DLC:

The next DLC will be called Dragonborn and it will be set on the island of Solstheim.

The main locations you will be able to visit are Raven Rock, Miraak Temple, Castle Karstaag and a Telvanni tower (N.B.: Not the Telvanni Tower seen in Morrowind in Vivec, but one like this).

There will be some new armor types, Bonemold, Chitin, Nordic and Stalhrim each having heavy and light classifications.

Out of these new materials, you will be able to craft new types items out of two of them, namely Stalhrim and Nordic.

Spears will be added along with an array of new creatures/automotons, Riekling, Scrib, Netch, Boar, Benthic Lurker, Ballista Centurion, and something with an internal name of HMDaedra, quite possibly referring to Hermaeus Mora since it lists his plane of oblivion, Apocrypha. You will also be able to ride dragons and be in combat while mounted on one.

This is what the quest header for Dragonborn Quests will look like, and this is what the compass markers look like for the new locations.

From the top, clockwise: Telvanni Tower, To Solstheim, Raven Rock, Castle Karstaag, Standing Stones, To Skyrim, Miraak Temple.

There will be at least two new tracked stats: Dragonborn Quests Completed, and Stalhrim Items Crafted

You will travel to Solstheim via a boat, much like you did in Bloodmoon, although this time, it looks like you may at least get a partial visual boat ride.

The Telvanni tower has float up and down animations, so no levitation it seems.

Dragon riding will take place in its own world space

Mounted combat looks like it's getting an improvement with the ability to cast spells while mounted, tihs isn't necessarily a Dragonborn only thing though!

It appears that Update 1.8 readies Skyrim for PS3 DLC.

---

Misinformation:

Weapon degrading -- There's nothing to indicate this is added, that isn't to say it can't/won't be added however. There was just no "new" information in this update. The degradation stuff seen previously has all been renemants from previous CK games (Fallout)

H2H stuff, That was my diff program messing up, sorry :)

Release dates -- No one but Bethesda knows!

Other stuff that I can't put my finger on or give intelligent guesses about because of lack of information

Miraak death animation, Chieftain animations, Chisel animations (perhaps new crafting station for the new armor.. doubt it though), Storn Death Reaction animation & Storn Suit Stages, Frea, Pray, StonePickUp, KillMoveDLC02RipHeartOut, TreeAmbush

There also seem to be a lot more animation files for running with weapons. No idea why.

Dwarven Ballista -- Possibly a new trap? https://www.uesp.net/...Dwemer_Ballista

I'm now waiting for the update to Fus_Ro_D'oh - Silent Voice; the author said it would be updated once Skyrim 1.8 was released so this should happen soon. The Nitpick description says it is specific to Skyrim 1.7 and the author hasn't mentioned Skyrim 1.8 in the mod comments yet, although he is fairly active in replying to questions on Nexus.

Now that 1.8 is released I can try the update to CFM that needs Skyrim 1.8: Categorized Favorites Menu Quicklist and Magic . So far I haven't seen any updates to Oni's (the one in STEP) or other CFM menus based on the updated CFM. I've tried using Oni's menu but it isn't as complete for magic mods as some of the others so I stopped using it.

I wonder which other STEP mods are affected by moving to Skyrim 1.8.

Sadly I haven't seen many mods updated yet to use TESD5Edit to clean the mod, especially those on the list Fri created of the mods most in need of such editing. Arthmoor has issued updates to his mods that do this, but he seems to one of the few.

CK is updating on my computer. New updates for many utilities and mods to follow.

Edit: big update, it went from 1.6.89 up to 1.8.151, first time it's ever been updated all the way to the current version of skyrim in a timely manner. Product release team actually having a good day for once :P

Lots of script updates as well, any mod with scripts will likely need to be resaved in the CK to upgrade to the  new scripts properly.  New SKSE version will need to be made as well.

• 3 weeks later...

CK is updating on my computer. New updates for many utilities and mods to follow.

Edit: big update, it went from 1.6.89 up to 1.8.151, first time it's ever been updated all the way to the current version of skyrim in a timely manner. Product release team actually having a good day for once :P

Lots of script updates as well, any mod with scripts will likely need to be resaved in the CK to upgrade to the  new scripts properly.  New SKSE version will need to be made as well.

With Skyrim 1.8, are older mods (with esp/esm) made with the previous CK safe to use still or do they NEED a 1.8 update, my understanding is some of the underlying structure changes with the new CK version. Thanks in advance. I'm taking a break from Skyrim right now but when I come back I plan to update/remake my guide.

By the way, shadme's three useful SKSE-related mods have been updated for Skyrim 1.8. The previous version do not work with 1.8.

I haven't seen a list of the major structural changes from Skyrim 1.6 to 1.8 that might help to help consider Neovalen's question.