[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

A Guest managed to use the Report button to try to say the following, which I have reproduced here.

OK, That sound very locical. I will try this.  Sorry, one more question: update is almost very easy,  but backdate?  have I deinstall 1.3.10 and new install a old one, the 1.3.8 ? Hope my mod-list will not canceld.

one step further: the last question is needless.  I did the backdate to 1.3.8; and by the first try FNIS is now a executable by MO again. It works, no warnings. :woot:
InGame-test even not controlled, but normally, what should happend? More Information after some InGame-experience will follow.  :;):  
It would be interesting, to update NOW, when FNIS is incl. the executable list, but I`m really do not trust myself, so I will wait a while.  ::|:
THANK YOU!!!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
The  "not-to-endores-problem" is still on, as also in 1.3.10 still was". Hope that it will be fixed in a further update. :^_^:

Hello, I just wanne give my report to your solution about the FNIS-MO-executable-problem. I did as you told, after some in-game-hours without any problems, I update MO to 1.3.10, - and everything was OK. So now, this things are working great. 2 Issues still on: the non-endorsement issue, I cannot endorse via MO; and one another problem is a non-registration in MCM-Menü, but that`s another stories. Thank you for help

Hi, new member here--

I've been running Skyrim with Mod Organizer, using Extensible Follower Framework, XP32MSE, Realistic Ragdolls and Force, Dual Sheath Redux, and FNIS; no other animation mods except for FNIS_Spells and Kinoko Pose.  I have four custom followers (A, L, S, and T) along for the ride.

I installed FNIS without any errors popping up, and everything seemed to be running smoothly, except that of the four followers, two of them (A and L) tend to get stuck in an odd pose--I don't know if this is the infamous "half-T" pose or not, since they still walk rather than slide, but with their arms kind of bowed out to the sides, sometimes holding a weapon.  When in this state, their combat behavior appears to be disabled: while they still approach enemies, they don't draw weapons (or use the weapons they're holding) and simply stand there soaking up hits.  The other two followers (S and T) behave perfectly, and I haven't noticed any issues with other NPCs.

What's odd is that of the two misbehaving followers, one (A) will tend to self-correct over time, while the other (L) generally gets stuck like that.  Occasionally, moving between cells will fix the problem for a time.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a FNIS issue or not, but I'd welcome any ideas.  Thanks!

Do you have XP23 arm fixed checked when you generate your FNIS file?  The bowed arms sounds like this problem.  

I do indeed have the XP23 arm fix checked when I generate FNIS output.  And again, two of the followers don't have any issues at all.

...Just had a thought.  I used XP23MSE to change the positions of the sheathed weapons for the two misbehaving followers.  Could that have something to do with it?  Think I'll try putting them back to default and see what happens.

Followup:  Initially, it looked like an issue with DSR, because the problem seemed to resolve when I reset the weapon positions to "default".  I then tried tinkering with the mod load order, and that seemed to fix the issue regardless of weapon position. However, now both FNIS_Spells and Kinoko Pose have become non-functional.

My current load order is:

FNIS

Realistic Ragdolls and Force

Dual Sheath Redux

DSR Patch

XP32 MSE

Kinoko Pose

FNIS Output (last)

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hey guys, you do a great job and troubleshooting at times

Here's my error: ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx mt_behavior.hkx

The steps I've taken so far: moved steam from program files x86 to games, reinstall mo with everything gamerpoets said todo watched gophers vid too, I've even tried fnis 5_4_2, nmm is uninstalled.

Also I'm only trying to get it to run with 3 mods: skyui, fnis, and fnis sexy move.

.net 3.5 is checked

One other thing that might be a problem is that this is a self installed version of windows 7. Maybe I didn't select or do something during the install???

Windows is not my strong suit, I do everything from linux but play some games.

It looks like the conversion from xml to hkx may not be happening.

Here is the contents of the log file from overwrite.

0 Start Debug
FNIS Behavior V5.5 fix1   9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)
Directory: .
                              <DIR>    languages
                              <DIR>    templates
                              <DIR>    temporary_logs
 8/5/2014 2:06:19 PM          46,545   AnimEvents.txt
 11/28/2014 7:31:12 AM           4,668   AnimVars.txt
 6/27/2015 6:07:48 AM           6,052   CustomPreCacheFiles.txt
 6/27/2015 3:55:02 AM              79   DebugData.txt
 9/17/2015 12:00:43 AM              75   DontAskAgainForLink.txt
 7/11/2015 6:55:34 AM         606,720   GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
 6/19/2015 1:57:51 PM           1,099   KnownCustomBehaviors.txt
 4/22/2015 4:42:31 AM           2,114   PatchList.txt
 12/27/2012 1:37:53 PM           1,857   hkxcmd LICENSE.TXT
 12/27/2012 1:37:51 PM      10,524,672   hkxcmd.exe
Directory: templates
 6/2/2015 6:24:06 PM       2,154,252   0_master_TEMPLATE.txt
 10/26/2014 4:01:09 PM       2,796,034   0_master_TEMPLATE_CBE.txt
 5/31/2015 3:06:21 PM             678   FNISVersionGenerated_TEMPLATE.pex
 12/21/2014 4:49:06 AM       1,902,747   animationdatasinglefile_TEMPLATE.txt
 6/14/2015 2:57:17 PM         803,062   animationsetdatasinglefile_TEMPLATE.txt
 4/18/2015 4:20:02 AM         187,043   defaultfemale_TEMPLATE.txt
 4/18/2015 4:20:31 AM         186,460   defaultmale_TEMPLATE.txt
 6/3/2015 2:20:55 PM       4,508,028   mt_behavior_TEMPLATE.txt
Directory: temporary_logs
 7/8/2012 3:49:58 PM              61   DUMMY_FILE_for_NMM_installation_only.txt
 9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM               0   DummyStart.txt
 9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM               0   GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt
Directory: characters female
Directory: characters
Directory: animations
                              <DIR>    FNISBase
                              <DIR>    FNISSexyMove
 3/30/2014 7:29:25 PM           9,856   FNIS_aa1Blend.hkx
Directory: female
Directory: male
Directory: behaviors
 5/24/2015 5:50:04 PM          52,400   FNIS_FNISBase_Behavior.hkx
 5/30/2014 5:18:21 AM           4,720   FNIS_FNISSexyMove_Behavior.hkx
 4/18/2015 7:46:10 AM          65,616   weapequip.hkx

Reading FNISBase V5.5 ...
Reading FNISSexyMove V1.2  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 9 alternate animations) ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
Generating defaultfemale.xml ...
Start Tempate: templates\defaultfemale_Template.txt
Max RecIndex:  1000
Generating defaultmale.xml ...
Start Tempate: templates\defaultmale_Template.txt
Max RecIndex:  1000
Generating mt_behavior xml ...
Start Tempate: templates\mt_behavior_TEMPLATE.txt
Symbolic: 0 AnimObj Addr: 5223
Symbolic: 1 BlendTransition Addr: 5223
Symbolic: 2 Offset Addr: 5224
Symbolic: 3 Furniture Addr: 5224
Symbolic: 4 FurnitureGroup Addr: 5224
Symbolic: 5 Alternate1_0 Addr: 5224
Symbolic: 6 Alternate1 Addr: 5237
Symbolic: 7 ChairSupplement Addr: 5390
Max RecIndex:  5390
FurnitureIDs:
Generating 0_master.xml ...
Start Tempate: templates\0_master_TEMPLATE.txt
Symbolic: 0 AnimObj Addr: 2580
Symbolic: 1 Paired Addr: 2580
Symbolic: 2 Killmove Addr: 2580
Symbolic: 3 FNISRefGen Addr: 2580
Max RecIndex:  2584
Converting Behavior Files (.xml to .hkx) ...
Converting mt_behavior (.xml to .hkx)

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx mt_behavior.hkx
Directory: temporary_logs
 9/17/2015 12:33:11 AM       2,067,523   0_master.xml
 7/8/2012 3:49:58 PM              61   DUMMY_FILE_for_NMM_installation_only.txt
 9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM               0   GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt
 9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM         173,788   defaultfemale.xml
 9/17/2015 12:33:10 AM         173,579   defaultmale.xml
 9/17/2015 12:33:11 AM       4,562,467   mt_behavior.xml
Directory: characters female
Directory: characters
Directory: behaviors
 5/24/2015 5:50:04 PM          52,400   FNIS_FNISBase_Behavior.hkx
 5/30/2014 5:18:21 AM           4,720   FNIS_FNISSexyMove_Behavior.hkx
 4/18/2015 7:46:10 AM          65,616   weapequip.hkx

Thanks in advance.

In the 'left-hand' pane ensure this is the order of the FNIS tools and anim mods:

1. FNIS
  2. FNIS Sexy Moves
  3. any other animation mods

Then when you have run the FNIS tool create a mod from the 'overwrite' folder (ensure it was empty beforehand) and enable it after those mods.

Of course it goes without saying you should make sure there are no other issues with your setup.

Make sure MO is managing your archives and that all of them ARE checked in the 'Archives' tab.

Lastly, since you are a new MO user, it is also a given that you know to run FNIS from within MO. ::):

Also you did say NMM is installed so I will reiterate the importance of using MO with a "clean" Data folder. ie. no mods installed into it!

It was late and I was making some mistakes. SKSE was not working after the move, so I've got to fix that. Also some save games didn't make it for some unknown reason. Anyway I have some work to do before I even get to FNIS. Maybe FNIS will work this time, I'll let you know if it does and I'll be crying for help if it doesn't.

Oh, nmm was uninstalled and the order was like you said.

Ok guys, I'm going to blow away  mo and start from scratch, testing one mod at a time. When I installed mo, nmm was fully operational and I ended up with a ton of unmanaged mods and it actually worked pretty good, I just didn't have any control -- then I watched gophers video!!

Fnis is the only thing I can't get working now and it's by the book, triple checked both gamerpoets way and gophers way. There may be some wierd link or corruption somewhere. I know after I moved off of program files to games, I had to reinstall SKSE to get skyui working.

Is there anything I need to do in appdata or somewhere else??

Thanks in advance.

As far as MO and FNIS are concerned there are no hidden settings stored anywhere, either in another folder or the registry, they are both "portable" applications. The only proviso there is that Skyrim must be run first to initialise its registry settings before FNIS will 'see' it.

MO seems to be finicky with command lines too.  My last upgrade of FNIS required 3 attempts with directing MO to the newest .exe before it worked.  The tiniest of mistakes and things do not work.

You shouldn't have to direct MO to look for any new executables if you upgrade new versions over the existing versions of FNIS.

This is the established method of updating FNIS in MO, never have separate installs of FNIS in your MO installation.

Ok guys, it's fixed. Turns out it was Spybot Home Edition screwing things up.  Turned off live protection, rebooted (not sure if that was necessary) and it worked. What made this so confusing was fnis would work from explorer and worked from nmm but would not work from mo. It would give the error

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx, which I think is simply failing on the first template.

Man, a lot of work for such a simple fix.

Thanks for your help guys!!

hi,

i moved from nmm to mo.

but now i have the problem, that i cant patch the animations with fnis. it tells me ever the same error (2022). i have run FNIS through MO. I changed the properties for the FNIS.exe to admin. but when i try to patch the animation (xp32 New animations) it is ever the same result.

Generate FNIS:

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V5.5 fix1   27.09.2015 20:56:47
Skyrim: ??.?? - 
Generator: C:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations" 
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 
Patch: * xp32's "PC Exclusive Animation Path" (PCEA
>>Warning: * xp32's "PC Exclusive Animation Path" (PCEA)  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "New Animation for Running with Bow" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "New Animation for Running with Bow"  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "New Animation for 1H Weapon" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "New Animation for 1H Weapon"  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "Momo Acrobatic Jump" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "Momo Acrobatic Jump"  not installed<<
Patch: * rongphale's "Horsemen Mounted Combat Enh." 
Patch: * groovtama's Alternate Anim. for XPMSE/RaceMenu 

Reading FNISBase V5.5 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female

ERROR(2022): PCEA patch ticked, but PCEA is not installed

im frustrating after i spend a half day to fix that sh**. plz help me aut with that problem.
i dont know to do at this point.

Edited by Gebiiiter