Delarics Conditional Combat Music (by Delaric)

Muladhara86

Delaric's Conditional Combat Music is a simple mod that stops the battle music from playing, except under certain conditions.  There are 5 basic varieties of this mod that will only play combat music when attacked by certain types of enemies:

Standard Version:

Dragons

Dragon Priests

Spriggan Matrons

Frost Atronachs

Storm Atronachs

Dwarven Centurions

Giants

Giant Spiders

Mammoths

Trolls

Humanoid Version:

Dragons

Dragon Priests

Spriggan Matrons

Frost Atronachs

Storm Atronachs

Dwarven Centurions

Giants

Giant Spiders

Mammoths

Trolls

Humanoids/NPCs

Most Epic Version:

Dragons

Dragon Priests

Storm Atronachs

Dwarven Centurions

Giants

Humanoid Special Version

Dragons

Dragon Priests

Spriggan Matrons

Giants

Humanoids/NPCs

The mod also includes support for Fantasy Music Overhaul Redone and Personalized Music.

• 2 months later...

So, I would love to use this mod, however, the first post in the comments sections scares me off (as it is other people too, judging from the lack of recent comments). 

The post states:

In fact this mod does modify the races, so if you run any game overhaul like Requiem, SkyRe or Deadly Dragons etc, this mod will either

A) not do anything if loaded before, or
B) undo all race edits by the overhaul mods if loaded after them, thus breaking your game

Also it reverts all USKP changes, in case you have that installed.
So unless someone makes compatibility patches, i would suggest not using this mod alongside mentioned mods.

Undoing race edits and reverting USKP changes sounds very bad. So I'm just wondering if any of you wonderful STEP wizards can confirm or deny this statement. I know it's not a mod that's included in STEP although if it works as advertised it seems like it would be a great addition.

Edited by aaltair

Would it need a patch for every mod you add that includes race edits, so SIC, Requiem, Deadly Dragons...etc? Is there any information somewhere on how to do that, for a complete beginner like me? I'm assuming we're not talking an auto-TES merge patch.

Edited by aaltair

No, you would not need a patch for every mod that includes edits to the races that the music mod covers.  Just one that loads after all the other mods that edit the same things (that conflict) and should automatically get sorted properly by LOOT to do that (and if it doesn't you could make a custom rule for that in LOOT so that it does).  I am talking about creating a new .esp file that contains all of the desired data in the case of conflicts (and it can hopefully resolve conflicts from all of the mods you mentioned).  I started typing basic instructions for you here for creating a patch plugin, but then I thought that it would be too easy to make a mistake and you to not know what is going on.  I would either have someone create a patch for you, or if you want to learn go and read the TES5Edit Manuals available to learn about some of the features.

Ha I was just coming back here to post that I downloaded the FNVEdit training manual and read it. I loaded up Delaric's along with Requiem and applied the filter. So with Delaric's loaded after Requiem I can see that the added keyword has the effect of removing the Requiem-balance stuff such as immunity to sneak attacks on certain creatures. Loading Requiem after Delaric's means a loss of the keywords which requiem removes for some reason, which I assume would mean that Delaric's won't work, since there's no keyword for it to find.

So by following the FNVEdit manual I right-click the conflicted keyword and 'copy as override', making my patch plugin and adding the rest of those keywords to that plugin, which then loads last.  I know this is probably basic for you guys but is my understanding of how this works correct? 

The thing that confuses me though is, if a mod like Requiem removes the keyword (or whatever other conflict i'm patching, if this comes up again with some other mod) and then I add back in that keyword in the form of a patch, wouldn't that mess with whatever changes Requiem wanted to achieve by removing the keyword in the first place? I think I'm missing something fundamental here.

Edit: In fact yes, I tried it, and creating a new patch plugin with the race keyword from Delaric's undoes the Requiem changes. So, I guess I'm just not getting something here :-/ 
sjGpPAKh.png]

Edited by aaltair

Looks like you want to drag the Requiem keywords over into the same rows in the last column (last column = your patch plugin).  Requiem never removed a keyword though, it just added 3 of its own.  The music plugin added 1, so in your patch plugin you want the 3 Requiem added plus the 1 that the music mod added.  You already have the 1 from the music plugin in your custom patch plugin, you just want the other 3 from Requiem and you are good, I think.

EDIT: Though you want to scroll down and look for any more conflicts too...

EDIT2:  The only potential issue that I can see is if the keyword "ActorTypeDeadraGreater" is actually used by Requiem elsewhere... if it is, well then yes, that could create issues.  If it's not, then I don't think it would create issues.  So yes, you do make a point there.  I guess to be sure, you'd have to look at some of the references in Requiem.  I'm not sure.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Yep, I do see that, however I was going on what you said earlier when I asked if each mod affected would need a separate patch, and you said it wouldn't, though it's entirely possible I misunderstood the context! 

So I can create a Delarics/Requiem patch, and then I guess it's a matter of checking all added mods in TES before adding them to my load order to see if I would need to make other patches as well. If nothing else, this is a great learning experience! It makes me wonder what other mods I should be manually patching... 

Edit: regards your edit2, I can probably check for that keyword in in Requiem somehow? There must be a TES search function somewhere

Edited by aaltair

Honestly, if you want things to work nicely in a modded Skyrim, you should go through all of your mods and manually patch the whole thing (using a filter to highlight where the conflicts are).  And it is a big hassle and will take you a quite a while (and is very tedious).  What may be easiest is to count on the STEP patch to handle every mod covered by STEP (so any conflict between STEP mods or with vanilla files), but then just check the conflicts of every mod not in STEP to see what other mods they conflict with (which will likely be with some of the STEP mods plus other non-STEP mods in your load order).  If you do notice a conflict amongst the STEP mods that the STEP Patch does not resolve (and there actually are some), then let EssArrBee know about it so that he can fix the STEP Patch.  If it's a conflict with a non-STEP mod, then that's on you to resolve unless you can either get someone else to do it for you or find a pre-made patch for the issue elsewhere.  It's a good learning experience, though, to go through and patch conflicts yourself.

The EDIT2 issue - good question.  I'm not an ace with TES5Edit and there are probably a lot of things I do in it that are not the best ways to do things.  But maybe try searching for the keyword "ActorTypeDeadraGreater" using the EditorID search bar above the left window.  Then once you find it, make sure you select the entry in the left window, then maybe click on the lower tab that says "Referenced By" under the right window.  Maybe that will help?  Not sure...  I think it might tell you what other entries refer to the keyword.

Edit: regards your edit2, I can probably check for that keyword in in Requiem somehow? There must be a TES search function somewhere

The EDIT2 issue - good question.  I'm not an ace with TES5Edit and there are probably a lot of things I do in it that are not the best ways to do things.  But maybe try searching for the keyword "ActorTypeDeadraGreater" using the EditorID search bar above the left window.  Then once you find it, make sure you select the entry in the left window, then maybe click on the lower tab that says "Referenced By" under the right window.  Maybe that will help?  Not sure...  I think it might tell you what other entries refer to the keyword.

If you know the EditorID for any record, then yes, you can search for it by typing the name in the EditorID search bar, as oqhansoloqo explained. That will just take you to view the exact record using that EditorID, like this:

OhGr7WW.png

(For the above screen, I just installed an old copy of Requiem I had lying around, and didn't install Conditional Combat Music. A search for ActorTypeDeadraGreater didn't find anything, so it seems Requiem doesn't use that keyword at all. So I changed the example to ActorTypeNPC so you can see how searching can be done in TES5Edit.)

Searching by EditorID can be a pretty slow method, depending on how many plugins you have loaded. So, another way to look for the record is to open up the Keyword records section in either Skyrim.esm or Requiem.esp, and sort the left-pane view alphabetically by EditorID - just click EditorID at the top of the left-pane column view, as seen here:

b9wWDEV.png

Then to see a list of all records in every plugin except Skyrim.esm which refer to the record you're currently viewing, change to the Referenced by view in the right-hand pane, by clicking the Referenced by tab, right next to the View tab, as seen here:

3jceUo6.png

In the Referenced by view, just double-click on any entry in the list to view that record. There isn't any "back" button in TES5Edit, so EDIT: To go back to the previously viewed record, use the "back" button in the upper-right corner of the TES5Edit window (tip 'o the hat to GrantSP for pointing that out), but I would also recommend to make sure you note the FormID of the keyword, because using the search by FormID bar (at the top of the left pane) is WAY faster than searching by EditorID.

If you don't see a Referenced by tab while viewing any record, that just means there are no records in any plugin besides Skyrim.esm which reference it.

To also see Skyrim.esm records in the Referenced by view, you tell TES5Edit to build the list. Just right-click on one of the names of a plugin in the left-hand pane, go down to the Other... sub-menu, and select Build Reference Info as seen here:

QdIL6LK.png

You will get a pop-up dialog named Build Reference Information for: and you should just click the box next to Skyrim.esm and then click [OK].

Building the reference information for Skyrim.esm takes a little time (54 seconds for me), because there are hundreds of thousands of records to process. That's why TES5Edit doesn't do this as a default every time you run it. So every time you want to look at cross references to Skyrim.esm, you need to build the reference information as I've explained.

I hope that helps!

Edited by keithinhanoi
  • +1 4

Wow thanks so much! You guys rock :) Before you know it, I'll be making my own mods. OK no way, but still I know so much more than I did, thanks. The fact that I'm even considering going through and manually making patches for my mods is something a month ago I never thought I would be doing.

And also just to plug the original topic of this thread, this conditional music mod works perfectly. I always hated epic mudcrab fight music.

If I may add to @keithinhanoi's great post (BTW, if you want to learn a lot of things quickly, you can't do anything wrong by just following Keith's posts, he has a knack of explaining complex tasks very easily.), there are actually 'back' & 'forward' buttons in the editor. They are the two small curved arrows in the top-right hand corner. They change colour when there is a viewed page in the cache to go back to.

• +1 2