Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

Any "advanced" modders around? ;)

I need to change the ground textures named Lpineforest01-03 to LVolcanicAshGrass01 in the Solstheim region. I guess its possible to go over all the cells by hand and switch them out (using "replace"), but i'm way too lazy for that :D Any third party program where you can edit it more easily?

Try posting your question (or a thread on the topic) in the Mod Author Consortium.

Yes probably a better place. But i think i have solved it by making the ash ground a bit brighter and the dead grasses are a bit darker.

Also got quite a few new plants including amanita mushrooms and some ash covered flat plants / leaves'n'stuff.

Posted Image

Pretty sure there's fertile soil beneath the ashlayer ;) that's why bethesda put trees, and a some grass and a few plants there already, otherwise the whole landscape would be completely dead.

Oh, and ash is actually very good for plants. If there's a fire the ground then becomes even more fertile. Volcanic ash + soil would be very good for plants.. Google it ;) Edit: for example: https://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/PlusSide/fertile_soils.html

Last I checked Iceland, then during a volcanic eruption then the constant ash falls would kill anything since it blocks out the sun most of the time. ;) (I recall there is a large volcano spewing out stuff in the distance. Also the vanilla weathers have almost not a single sunny day on most of the ash fields. )

Once the eruption is gone and sunlight gets in then yeah... you are right!

But yeah realism to a degree... or the entire area would just be dead and boring!

During an eruption the surrounding plants would die from the lava and in the long run plants that require a lot of sunlight would die off (mushrooms for example can grow in 100% darkness, i've tried).. but this isnt near the eruption (no lava) the falling ash isnt that bad in this place since you can see quite well :) Maybe i'll change the ground so that it isnt completely covered, might look a bit more natural..

Hey if you end up with more fungi looking stuff and less grass then I am all for it! :D

(I know about fungi... worked genetic engineering on some in a lab.)

But yeah as long as there is not grass everywhere. Think iceland... there is grass, but in the rocky volcanic regions its mainly moulds, and other resilient type flora that prevails.

Also I noticed that leaves patch on the ground... in the middle of a pine forest, kinda stands out a little bit when there are leaves of trees that are no where near the region!

And hey since its a fantasy game then I guess some oblivion type like flora would also be cool! But ofc. I can understand if you do not want to create fantasy plants from the ground up! :)

I'm afraid I wouldnt know how, the grass generator is very picky and wont just spawn anything you throw at it. As you probably know even those bushes that i have in SFO are a bit buggy and will disapear sometimes. I've actually tried the grass generator with shrooms before, but they dont spawn at all.

Edit: tried it again, actually it even crashes the game. but those shrooms are not very performance friendly anyways.. when i removed the stones and ground it's still a 143kb big file (compared to 2kb for the grass)..