Master of Disguise (by fireundubh) [Featured by Brodual and G.E.M.S.]

fireundubh

Master of Disguise v0.4.3
Most Recent Changes
Google Drive shared folder

Master of Disguise transforms all faction armor into real faction armor. Suit up as
a Dark Brotherhood assassin, a Madman of the Reach, or even a lowly necromancer
and experience Tamriel as though their allies and enemies were yours.

Introduction to Master of Disguise by Brodual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGNFDgNT-A

EDIT:

@fireundubh has once again released his mods for the public, but not through Nexus.

Edited by GrantSP

I've updated Master of Disguise to v0.4.1.

Primarily, I've rebalanced the detection formula, introduced racial penalties, and added the option to disguise yourself as an Alik'r mercenary. Check the changelog to see what else has changed.

I've also added the detection formula to the mod description.

This does add a very useful mechanic to the game especially to thief or assassin characters. If this all works as described then it would gain my endorsement. Someone would need to either add new quests or modify existing ones in order to gain a route to completion that requires this ability. That said as it is, this mod would allow many radiant quests to be completed without taking out a whole bandit den, or similar. A useful feature to have would be a chance of failure for the disguise depending on certain parameters, e.g. the number of bandits in a hideout. They would presumably all know each other whereas infiltrating an army would be much easier. There could be a conversation element where you have a chance to convince a suspicious bad guy that you are genuine or at least from a different camp of the same faction (persuade skill and a reason to improve it). Anyway all looks good and will be keeping an eye on it.

::):

A useful feature to have would be a chance of failure for the disguise depending on certain parameters, e.g. the number of bandits in a hideout.

There is actually a system for discovering the player in place already. The description of that system is way too long to post here. Basically though, I give every nearby humanoid NPC a cone of vision.

Posted Image

If you are within that cone of vision, you have a chance to be discovered. I use a dice roll to do this, but it is not completely random. The player rolls a number (an identity score) that is equal to:

Detection Cap * (((((Best Skill Cap * Current Best Skill) / 100) * Skill Penalty) + (Racial Bonus or Penalty) + Equipment Bonus)) / 100
As you can see, a number of factors is used to improve or reduce the player's chance of remaining undiscovered.

Within 512 units from an NPC and within the NPC's -15 to 15 degrees field of view, the player can achieve a 92.5% maximum chance of remaining undercover. That's with 100 skill in Sneak or Illusion, a racial bonus, and a complete disguise. This maximum differs for each faction though. For example, at this range and angle, the player can achieve only a 82.5% maximum chance of remaining undercover when disguised as a Necromancer.

There is a slight delay before the dice roll though. The player has 5 seconds to get out of an NPC's cone of vision once the player is notified that "you are being watched."

In a future update, I'll remove that delay if the player is behaving suspiciously, like sneaking or running, which should hopefully encourage players to walk when using a disguise.
Edited by fireundubh

That's exactly what I was looking for!

It would be nice if your chance of disguise would be drastically reduced, if a dead body was found or a trap activated/sth stolen,... Anything that causes NPCs to be temporarily alerted.

Also some mods create new factions or allow you to make your own faction. Those might need some support, if possible automated. Maybe also take a look at alternate start, since it makes you friendly with some factions at least at the start of the game.

Also support/compatibility with Civil war overhaul should be ensured. He already makes use of some detection system.

It would be a nice addition, that when using one or more equipment pieces of a faction which is hostile to another one, the latter are more hostile towards you (blades armor and thalmor) but if you wear full equipment or remain in their sight too long, they get immediately hostile.

You'll need to have a look at the main quest where you infiltrate the thalmor embassy. If you could provide a stealth option for this quest, it'll need to be 100% working.

Edit:had an extensive read of your mod page now. Some of the critique is already implemented. However it might be useful, if you add an option to perform a stealth attack with all bonuses without needing to attack in sneak mode if you successfully got close to a tricked member of a faction. (Assassins creed like)

Also support/compatibility with Civil war overhaul should be ensured. He already makes use of some detection system.

Apollodown said there should be no compatibility issues with Civil War Overhaul.

Maybe also take a look at alternate start, since it makes you friendly with some factions at least at the start of the game.

There's a vampire patch for Alternate Start. Also, when you equip faction armor, you're temporarily removed from opposition vanilla factions. You're also temporarily removed from the Thalmor, Vigil, and Forsworn vanilla factions when you equip the respective disguises. However, that somehow doesn't work with Alternate Start's respective starts, so you still have to manually remove yourself from those factions if you started in them. Honestly, Alternate Start really shouldn't use factions that way it currently uses them.

It would be nice if your chance of disguise would be drastically reduced, if a dead body was found or a trap activated/sth stolen,... Anything that causes NPCs to be temporarily alerted.

I'll look into it.

It would be a nice addition, that when using one or more equipment pieces of a faction which is hostile to another one, the latter are more hostile towards you (blades armor and thalmor) but if you wear full equipment or remain in their sight too long, they get immediately hostile.

If you dress like a Thalmor agent, the Thalmor's allies and enemies will be yours. If you equip a Thalmor robe and a Blades helmet, you'll still be disguised as a Thalmor agent because the body armor is the minimum required for most disguises. I could penalize you for wearing the opposition's "colors" so to speak by eliminating the delay before rolling for detection and dynamically changing the suspicious NPC's expression to Disgusted. Actually, that brings to mind another good idea: when the NPC is watching you, I could temporarily change their expression to Puzzled. I'll try to get that implemented for the next update.

You'll need to have a look at the main quest where you infiltrate the thalmor embassy. If you could provide a stealth option for this quest, it'll need to be 100% working.

There shouldn't be any issues, although it could be harder if/when you equip the Thalmor Robes instead of the Elven Armor. There's nothing in the embassy disguise script that would suggest a real problem. The Thalmor might not turn hostile if you're wearing the Thalmor Robes; on the other hand, like I said, you don't have a 100% chance to remain undiscovered like vanilla, so using the Thalmor Robes would probably make that quest more difficult, even if you are Altmer.

However it might be useful, if you add an option to perform a stealth attack with all bonuses without needing to attack in sneak mode if you successfully got close to a tricked member of a faction.

Having just discovered that I can kill sleeping targets instantly in Requiem, I have no problem with adding an attack bonus when you're in disguise and behind an NPC, but I am wary of making disguises a go-to strategy for everyone who wants to cheese their way through the game. For example, if I had this bonus implemented, you could wear Daedric armor, summon a Dremora with the Atronach Forge, walk up behind him, and assassinate him for free, risk-free loot. Over and over and over. I try to prevent exploits like that.

I like the idea of traps and/or dead bodies put people on alert. One thing I will say to that is maybe grant an exception to Necromancers to the dead bodies; considering that when you kill one of their comrades and they immediately use the corpse as a thrall they're not to loyal to each-other. Or they think something like 'It's the way he wanted to go, dead and resurrected to fight for me.'.

The one thing I think should be granted an exception is the Thalmor, they view all races besides themselves (Altmer) as lesser. I think the only ones in Thalmor Justicar robes that would work would be if the player is an Altmer. Take the quest Diplomatic Immunity for example, donning Thalmor robes to order the soldiers around only works if your an Altmer.

Actually, that brings to mind another good idea: when the NPC is watching you, I could temporarily change their expression to Puzzled. I'll try to get that implemented for the next update.

I can't do this because many NPCs don't have face animation data, so trying to set and clear expressions just produces log spam.

v0.4.2 update:

[*]Fixes: Added missing vampire lord armor to the faction armor list for Clan Volkihar. [*]Fixes: Added the warlock outfit to the faction armor list for Necromancers. [*]Fixes: Delay after "you are being watched" message now properly takes 5 seconds. [*]Fixes: Dice rolls are now properly made every 10 seconds. [*]Fixes: Removed vampire lord armor from the faction armor list for Vampires. [*]Fixes: Thalmor NPCs at Northwatch Keep are now assigned to the Thalmor faction. [*]Fixes: Updated DA03VampireFaction to match VampireFaction. [*]Fixes: While you are running, sprinting, sneaking, or have your weapon drawn - and you are detected - dice rolls will be made immediately albeit every 10 seconds. [*]Formula: If you are running, sprinting, sneaking, or have your weapon drawn when a dice roll is made, you will suffer a 25% penalty to your identity score. [*]Formula: While you are not running, sprinting, sneaking, and while you don't have your weapon drawn, you will receive a 5% bonus to your identity score. [*]New Feature: If you are more than a cell away from your pursuers, your pursuers will give up, return to their stations, and your disguise will be restored. [*]UI: While you are running, sprinting, sneaking, or have your weapon drawn - and you are detected - you will not be notified if you are being watched.

Edited by fireundubh

• 3 months later...

You made it too well! 

I just have this feeling that if I added a way for a big, yellow exclamation mark to appear over the heads of detecting NPCs, there'd be all sorts of YouTube videos.

For a disguise mod, Master of Disguise is, strangely, not visually appealing.

The video I tried to make myself involved infiltrating Northwatch Keep but the experience was different every time. Sometimes I would never be detected. Other times I'd be detected at the front gate. Other times I'd be detected and I'd have to fight my way out. I suppose a video that explored those different experiences would work.