A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Hello. I've read that Dawn of Whiterun causes issues for some people. So are there any other Whiterun mods I can use together with REGS? Also, how about Solitude?

I just can't stand it if all the other major cities & towns/villages are overhauled but Whiterun and Solitude are not .... D:

I searched extensively and didn't find any better mod for Whiterun now that's not to say there are a lack of mods that "improve" Whiterun but they all generally have some major flaw or poor design choices:

-too much of something (trees, clutter, etc)

-bad layout, clipping objects

-too little changes not worth ESP slot

-trees, meh...kind of like trees but hate the LOD popping from outside Whiterun

-awful design flaws: CTD, navmesh deletions, etc...

So, even though Dawn of Whiterun is the best of the bunch...it isn't worth the FPS hit or the "junky" nature of the clutter which tends to get blasted around. I'd prefer a "lite" version that keeps the cool stuff like the Imperial Commerce Checkpoint and the livestock and perhaps some of the vendors with static or reduced clutter items on display.

I also stopped using Dawn of Riften, if I recall there was a WAFR conflict but also I had some slowdowns and at least one CTD during testing that I suspect was due to some other conflicts from the Riften Mod.

I am using Dawn of Windhelm, that town needs all the help it can get.

Kulde, how do you feel about Windhelm having two Ysgramor statues? Don't you think it's pushing it a lil bit? 

Nothing a little old disable in the console or TES5Edit wouldn't fix.

There's nothing saying a user has to use a mod as is after they've downloaded for personal use.

Yes, it requires re-implementation of your personal preference modifications each time a mod is updated, but isn't it worth being able to enjoy it otherwise if it's just a few minor details?

Alright. I'll try out Dawn of Whiterun & Riften myself and see how my computer holds up.

Just finished implementing all the mods from the guide btw. I found a few mods not in the BOSS masterlist and not mentioned in the guide. Where should I put them using BOSS Userlist Manager?

- ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp
- ETaC - Complete Inns and Taverns Patch.esp
- Magic of the Magna-Ge.esp
- Spectraverse - Only After Dragon Rising.esp
Edited by yic17

Nothing a little old disable in the console or TES5Edit wouldn't fix.

There's nothing saying a user has to use a mod as is after they've downloaded for personal use.

Yes, it requires re-implementation of your personal preference modifications each time a mod is updated, but isn't it worth being able to enjoy it otherwise if it's just a few minor details?

Oh, I know :) I've already markfordelete'd it a while ago. Just curious about others opinions in here.

Great to see a Regs update, thought about adding the newly updated Atlas Map Markers?

I feel like that's way too many map markers. :P

Hello. I've read that Dawn of Whiterun causes issues for some people. So are there any other Whiterun mods I can use together with REGS? Also, how about Solitude?

I just can't stand it if all the other major cities & towns/villages are overhauled but Whiterun and Solitude are not .... D:

Solitude is covered partially by Nernie (using REGS - Cities), but I have been unable to find good Whiterun mods.

BTW, if anyone is wondering why city mods are so rare here's a couple screenshots that should explain it:

Solitude in the CK:

Posted Image

Solitude after trying to delete one house:

Posted Image

Solitude after trying to delete the garden wall:

Posted Image

It's the same in all 5 major holds.

Hey CJ. I sent you this message on reddit.

-snip-

I don't lurk much on reddit these days, so thanks for posting it here.

@ITMs: Those ITMs do not really cause any problems, especially the ones in manny's mods since they are loaded so early on. The Chapter Linker should not really be cleaned, either. I've added a note for Sea of Ghosts.

@Checking for errors: If patches have unresolved references, it probably means they're outdated (or at least not made for whatever versions of the patched mods that you're currently using)

It could also be that whoever made the patch didn't flag the masters before loading the patch in the CK, which will ruin the patch altogether.

@TES5Edit Merge: That's not what the automated merge patch is for, that feature is somewhat different, and it only covers certain types of records.

@Spellmaking: Yep, hence the mod being in the gameplay-affecting section which has a disclaimer for that :P

@Patch: The current version of the REGS Patch - NSuTR + RRR is for Realistic Room Rental and NSutR only, however if you have the old version, then yes, it will have unresolved errors seeing as how it tries to reference records from and old version of ETaC which is no longer supported.

Alright. I'll try out Dawn of Whiterun & Riften myself and see how my computer holds up.

Just finished implementing all the mods from the guide btw. I found a few mods not in the BOSS masterlist and not mentioned in the guide. Where should I put them using BOSS Userlist Manager?

The ELFX patch should be loaded directly after the ELFX modules. (Which is not covered by the guide, hence the absence of the rule)

The Inns and Taverns patch can go anywhere as long as it's after both ETaC and Inns & Taverns.

And I've added a rule for Magna-Ge (for some reason I thought it was in the boss masterlist). That optional file you downloaded should then be placed after Magic of the Magna-Ge.esp

Thanks for reporting those. :)

The ELFX patch should be loaded directly after the ELFX modules. (Which is not covered by the guide, hence the absence of the rule)The Inns and Taverns patch can go anywhere as long as it's after both ETaC and Inns & Taverns.And I've added a rule for Magna-Ge (for some reason I thought it was in the boss masterlist). That optional file you downloaded should then be placed after Magic of the Magna-Ge.espThanks for reporting those. :)

Oh, right. I followed the SRLE guide first. =P

Thanks for the load order tip. =)

Edited by yic17

Hello. BOSS tells me that these files have missing navmesh records and may cause problems. I am wondering if they are fixed in the REGS Patch or they're just not going to be problematic?

- DragonmournInn.esp

- Inns and Taverns.esp

- TheDomain.esp

@Patch: The current version of the REGS Patch - NSuTR + RRR is for Realistic Room Rental and NSutR only, however if you have the old version, then yes, it will have unresolved errors seeing as how it tries to reference records from and old version of ETaC which is no longer supported.

I am using the new ETaC since she came back and is updating all the patches. I thought I had redownloaded the regs patches but I will do it again.

BTW Spellmaking in Skyrim is not covered in the Boss Masterlist either. The ESP is Khalsspellmakingmod.esp. I Stuck it under Quests K, but it an argument might be made that it should go under Magic.

Have you thought about adding in the Kohnakrik's accouterments series to the Game Changing Section now that you have one?

The Chapter linker is loaded rather late unlike the ESMs. It is loaded between 13OJ's mods. So the ITMs could be more of an issue.

Also redownloading the patches fixed the errors it was finding so thanks.

Edited by Thernn

Kulde, how do you feel about Windhelm having two Ysgramor statues? Don't you think it's pushing it a lil bit? 

To my chagrin, I never took great notice of the statutes. Let's see, there on either side of the entrance right? I haven't been there on this play-through as my character has only just cleared Bleak Falls and the Mine near Riverwood and is only level 3, lol! (I have uncapper configured via vanilla Better Leveling....it slows things down quite a lot)

Hello. BOSS tells me that these files have missing navmesh records and may cause problems. I am wondering if they are fixed in the REGS Patch or they're just not going to be problematic?

- DragonmournInn.esp

- Inns and Taverns.esp

- TheDomain.esp

Two things:

Ignore all the BOSS warnings about any deleted navmeshes in mods covered by REGS, the replacer esps fix those.

For Inns & Taverns: The Navmesh issue has been fixed; BOSS information for this mod is out of date.

• +1 1

CJ2311:

Love what you fixed and incorporated in Nernie's Mod, by any chance have you taken a peek at the inside of the small mead house outside Whiterun?

Oddvar cheated my Imperial out of a night's room rental. After a rain soaked, cloud darkened evening trudging back from the tundra, my Imperial saw the chance to warm up and stay the night at Oddvar's establishment. It was about 7:30 in the evening and I was greeted kindly enough when I purchased food and paid for a night's stay. After spending a few minutes warming up by the fire, Oddvar yelled at me to leave! The old goat said I wasn't welcome there!

Me and my companion had to go back out in the rain and walk to Whiterun for alternative lodging.

To my chagrin, I never took great notice of the statutes. Let's see, there on either side of the entrance right? I haven't been there on this play-through as my character has only just cleared Bleak Falls and the Mine near Riverwood and is only level 3, lol! (I have uncapper configured via vanilla Better Leveling....it slows things down quite a lot)

Cleared Bleak Falls and Embershard Mine and only level 3?! Guess I'll have to take a look at this Better Leveling thing.. Does modding ever end? lol (I know the answer)

phryxolydian, on 18 May 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Cleared Bleak Falls and Embershard Mine and only level 3?! Guess I'll have to take a look at this Better Leveling thing.. Does modding ever end? lol (I know the answer)

I'm liking the slower leveling, now the uncapper for Better Leveling that I'm using does reward bonus perk points but not every time though: for example, at Level 2 I received 3 perk points, at Level 3 I only got one. And like I said the leveling rate is really slowed down, which honestly feels right to me.

Better Leveling - Vanilla - SkyRe - SPERG - Skyrim Unleashed - Elys Community Uncapper by aselnor

I use a couple of SkyRe modules: SkyRe_Combat.esp and SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp along with Deadly Dragons and play the game at Adept, haven't done Expert yet.

Additionally, I use the whole skill overhaul: TTRSO - TheThirdRace Skill Overhaul - Modular by TheThirdRace

I top this off with Natural Talents v2 - Racial Bonuses Overhaul by DistinctlyMinty and Thats Racist by Kevin Kidder.

Basically, my point in listing these is to indicate the over all mod regimen I use regarding character progression and development. I want choices to matter and there to be some pain for poor judgment. TTRSO balances out such things and really allows a player to "grow-up" in their desired roles but they have to work at it. Here's a snippet from an initial test run with TTRSO:

Initial Experience on New Character:

Right out of the starting gates you will notice that your character has a lot of growing up to do. My Imperial, who I envisioned to be a Heavy Armored, 1H Weapon Spell Caster took a severe magical penalty for wearing that Heavy Imperial Armor he looted. The Novice Level Open Lock Spell Book he picked up and learned ( Leazers Open Lock 2_0 by Leazer425 ) turned out to be 10 mana points out of his reach and the heavy gauntlets were killing his manual lock-picking skills by 40%.

Obviously, it was time to take off the gloves.

This was just a test run, it looks like it will make choices matter a lot more and hard work will be required to overcome initial limitations.