A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I recently tweaked my VideoMemorySizeMb in enblocal.ini to be the same as my VRAM (1024) after reading a post by keith (or Kuldebar?) instead of the RAM + VRAM - 2048 formula and I disabled Papyrus logging in the skyrim.ini file as well and the result was that  even though my FPS didn't really improved much, stuttering reduced very significantly for me.

So, as I had to go back to the Riften area once again, I decided to give DoR another go. But ..sigh.. I guess it's just not meant to be. VM completely freezes after just a short while. I was very disheartened by this but as my journey lead me to Solstheim and I have to go through Windhelm, obviously, I installed DoW without giving myself high hopes. To my great surprise, it barely made any performance impact, and the additions are very nice and blend in seamlessly. As a side note, the entrance by BCE is just absolutely fantastic. Ysgramor's statue standing tall, imposing and magnificent against a fiery snow storm just gives so much depth to the level of immersion in-game. I will make a suggestion to the author to have perhaps a larger than normal statue of the Dwarven Centurion from the loading screens in Markarth.

Once in Solstheim I noticed that a couple of things weren't as they should. I've checked and as it's not apparent to me where I messed up in the installation process, I am asking here for help. I ran across these missing textures of the banners and a cloth of some sort, as well as the dress on this very hot Dunmer I've never seen before, so I assume it's from RRE, as well. Also, in the first ss, you can see that the top of the em.. fence? (I do not know the word for this in English) is messed up as well. This is not caused by RRE, I've had this for a while but haven't asked about it, if anyone here knows what texture belongs there, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by phryxolydian

A lot of unresolved references, the game just ignores them.  There are tons of unresolved references in the official ESM's (especially Dawnguard, it seems).  I am not sure what the line is...which ones are just ignored and which ones cause actual errors.

...or I suppose Rustleif just won't be wearing clothes, which can be fun, depending on your particular line up of mods... 

On my last load-out, I made one huge compatibility patch, but when I went updating several mods, it got to be a pain to update. This time I am trying a different route, merging most compatibility patches with one of the parents where possible, merging the rest of them into smaller batches, then doing one final handmade patch at the end to resolve remaining conflicts. Hopefully, that will end up less work later when I want to change things :-/

I should mention that when I made my "mother" of all compatibility patches, the merge plugin script wasn't quite ready for prime-time yet. Also, it seems I'm using combinations of mods that people haven't thought to make compatibility patches for yet.To each their own, as they say...

I noticed Lanterns of Skyrim - AIO - Dawnguard patch is not included in REGS and was wondering if it was considered for the guide. 

Yeah it was considered at the start, but it turned out this patch is for an outdated version of LoS.Glory to Arstotzka! 

Fair enough. Even though it is an old file it still works as advertised, all it does is place a bunch of the standard MannyLanters on the road to fort Dawnguard, and the EDID of those hasn't changed between versions. It hooks into the MCM menu same as the ETaC - LoS Patch, and is even advertised by MannyGT on the Lanterns of Skyrim page.

It only has one obvious conflict with Immersive DG Entrance (03001DB8), the rest are all new entries. I noticed Oblivion Gates - which is in STEP - had the same conflict and is sorted after Immersive DG Entrance by LOOT in my setup. Don't know how BOSS and other peoples LOOT sort it but might be one to check, it's the Dayspring Canyon Entrance so it's correct location is fairly important.

For people wishing to use the complete version of ETaC 10 (including Winterhold) together with EWDR, here's an updated version of the patch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc9gf01n65stdfh/ETaC%20-%20Complete%20EWDR%20Patch.esp

Note that (obviously) it won't work if you install the replacer file that's in in the patches (the one which removes Winterhold from ETaC - Complete).

I have no time to reply to any of the previous messages right now as I'm busy in the CK, so I'll do that later.

...or I suppose Rustleif just won't be wearing clothes, which can be fun, depending on your particular line up of mods...

Well, with ETaC 10 Complete (no Inns) and the 10.2 patches, I went to Dawnstar and with my fix found Rustleif was clothed, but without shoes. I almost missed the shoes thing because when I found him I couldn't believe what he was doing with the tanning rack:

Posted Image

Um, yeah, that's interesting.

While I'm on the topic of weird things in Dawnstar possibly related to ETaC, I notice that the white "snow" overlay on the planks of some ETaC-repositioned wooden walkways was graphically glitching out, with weird patterns that revealed the bare wood underneath. Moving around made the patterns change and flicker a lot. Here are two screenies:

Posted Image Posted Image

Any ideas of what the heck is going on here would be greatly appreciated. 

For people wishing to use the complete version of ETaC 10 (including Winterhold) together with EWDR, here's an updated version of the patch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc9gf01n65stdfh/ETaC%20-%20Complete%20EWDR%20Patch.esp

Note that (obviously) it won't work if you install the replacer file that's in in the patches (the one which removes Winterhold from ETaC - Complete).

I have no time to reply to any of the previous messages right now as I'm busy in the CK, so I'll do that later.

Dude.

You got your ETaC's chocolate in EWDR's peanut butter!

It's two great tastes that taste great together!

Many thanks!

Heya CJ, a quick bug report for REGS - Cities version 3.3:Volkiharcountessf_0.nif should be named volkiharcountess_0.nif (no "f" after countess), to match the _1 nif. This is in meshesclothesssewersvolkiharcountessf.

Volkiharcountessf_0.nif is actually unused. I've fixed VolkiharCountess_1.nif and will include it as a hotfix in version 3.3.4 of the patches.Thanks ::): 

CJ have you considered Corners of Skyrim? or Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim for REGS? They both add neat little locations to the world.

Too much potential for conflict with mods already in the guide as well as various popular player homes... 

In the RRR+NSUtR pach, I notice it also has ETaC listed as a master.  However, I don't see anything in the patch that actually edits anything from ETaC, and if I do a "clean masters" in TES5Edit, it removes the ETaC master.

Thanks, fixed that for 3.3.4 (which I'll upload shortly). 

So, without the patch, where the REGS guide is concerned, it seem that it's now essentially a choose-one-or-the-other decision on ETaC Complete with Winterhold -OR- EWDR with ETaC that doesn't include Winterhold.

Not anymore, you can use the patch I uploaded earlier. ::P: 

I am not sure if this is due to changes in ETaC, but I am seeing an unresolved reference in "REGS - STEP Patch.esp", for the outfit on the NPC Rustleif:

Thanks again, I've updated that patch. Getting a bit lost with all the stuff that has to be monitored with ETaC. :/ 

I'm not 100% positive, but without fixing unresolved references like this one that came up, Skyrim will very likely CTD when approaching the object, NPC, etc. in question.

From what I've seen so far, the game will just ignore the record if it can (but you'll probably end up with partially naked NPCs in the case of outfits/inventory). 

Once in Solstheim I noticed that a couple of things weren't as they should. I've checked and as it's not apparent to me where I messed up in the installation process, I am asking here for help. I ran across these missing textures of the banners and a cloth of some sort, as well as the dress on this very hot Dunmer I've never seen before, so I assume it's from RRE, as well. Also, in the first ss, you can see that the top of the em.. fence? (I do not know the word for this in English) is messed up as well. This is not caused by RRE, I've had this for a while but haven't asked about it, if anyone here knows what texture belongs there, I'd appreciate your help.

Have you installed Raven Rock Expanded? This looks like you just installed the replacer but without the base mod, which would explain why all the custom textures added by it are missing...

It only has one obvious conflict with Immersive DG Entrance (03001DB8), the rest are all new entries. I noticed Oblivion Gates - which is in STEP - had the same conflict and is sorted after Immersive DG Entrance by LOOT in my setup. Don't know how BOSS and other peoples LOOT sort it but might be one to check, it's the Dayspring Canyon Entrance so it's correct location is fairly important.

Ah, good catch, this might be why the map is kinda weird for people who use both mods (both BOSS and LOOT sort the oblivion gates mod last)I'll add a note to put the DG entrance mod after the oblivion gates. Edited by CJ2311

Thanks again, I've updated that patch. Getting a bit lost with all the stuff that has to be monitored with ETaC. :/ 

You're not kidding. Until you came out of the blue with that ETaC + EWDR patch just now, I was in the process of making a note for mjb about the ETaC - Complete - NSutR Patch, LoS having edits to Winterhold that would not work if somebody chose the ETaC - Complete Winterhold patch replacement plugin.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my above post with Rustleif using a broom to scrape the tanning rack that I found that the ETaC - Complete Fountains Patch moves the fountain in Dawnstar to be almost fully embedded in the doorway of the Jarl's house - anyone else witness this?

...and there's a floating barrel (vanilla, ID 000D6959) in front of Irgnir's house - any other sightings to confirm this?

Update:

Version 3.3.4:

REGS - Patches Update:

[*]Updated the STEP Extended Patch (Thanks to noobzor for the report).

[*]Updated the No Snow under the Roof + Realistic Room Rental patch (Thanks to noobzor again).

[*]Added a hotfix for a mesh in Skyrim Sewers that had a wrong texture path (Thanks to Andaone for the report).

While I'm on the topic of weird things in Dawnstar possibly related to ETaC, I notice that the white "snow" overlay on the planks of some ETaC-repositioned wooden walkways was graphically glitching out, with weird patterns that revealed the bare wood underneath. Moving around made the patterns change and flicker a lot. Here are two screenies:

Posted Image Posted Image

Any ideas of what the heck is going on here would be greatly appreciated.

That looks like 2 planks are at the same place, I'll have to check it in the CK. Edited by CJ2311

Version 3.3.4: 

REGS - Patches Update:

[*]Updated the STEP Extended Patch (Thanks to noobzor for the report).

[*]Updated the No Snow under the Roof + Realistic Room Rental patch (Thanks to noobzor again).

[*]Added a hotfix for a mesh in Skyrim Sewers that had a wrong texture path (Thanks to Andaone for the report).

Just noticed, the fomod sticks the hotfix mesh into /clothes... instead of /meshes/clothes...

You're not kidding. Until you came out of the blue with that ETaC + EWDR patch just now, I was in the process of making a note for mjb about the ETaC - Complete - NSutR Patch, LoS having edits to Winterhold that would not work if somebody chose the ETaC - Complete Winterhold patch replacement plugin.

I'm guessing you mean ETaC - Complete LOS Patch.It's not really a problem, you'll just be missing a couple of lanterns.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my above post with Rustleif using a broom to scrape the tanning rack that I found that the ETaC - Complete Fountains Patch moves the fountain in Dawnstar to be almost fully embedded in the doorway of the Jarl's house - anyone else witness this?

For some reason, an older version of the patch was updated... It'll be fixed, but for the moment just ignore the obnoxious fountain, I guess :P

...and there's a floating barrel (vanilla, ID 000D6959) in front of Irgnir's house - any other sightings to confirm this?

It's not floating on my end... I see it on the walkway in front of the house :|

Just noticed, the fomod sticks the hotfix mesh into /clothes... instead of /meshes/clothes...

Bloody typical...Thanks, it's now fixed.I've also been unable to reproduce the walkway issue you have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7aojmqzqsweqwz/2014-05-06_00004.jpg (This is using vanilla textures + SMIM + NSutR patch)

Last post for today, I swear! 

I'm guessing you mean ETaC - Complete LOS Patch.It's not really a problem, you'll just be missing a couple of lanterns.

Um, LoS yes, and also the NSutR patch make edits to Winterhold. So if using the no-Winterhold version of ETaC Complete, there will likely be floating snowbanks and such - I've not checked in game, and probably won't now that you've fixed the patch. I see MJB is still hammering away at Winterhold, so it seems your "fixed" patch will unfortunately have a fairly short shelf-life. I'm hoping it will be a good base for her upcoming updates, though. 

For some reason, an older version of the patch was updated... It'll be fixed, but for the moment just ignore the obnoxious fountain, I guess :P

Well, it looks to me that if I take out the patch entries that move it, it might actually work fine in its original position. Going to try it out later. 

It's not floating on my end... I see it on the walkway in front of the house :|

Weird. Could it be just in the special no-Winterhold ETaC Complete replacement? That's what I had loaded when I went and looked. I did use an old savegame, so perhaps I should have tried the pcb console command before going outside. 

Bloody typical...Thanks, it's now fixed.

Well, your really working in overdrive, so no worries - thanks for all the fixes! 

I've also been unable to reproduce the walkway issue you have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7aojmqzqsweqwz/2014-05-06_00004.jpg (This is using vanilla textures + SMIM + NSutR patch)

I was using the no-Winterhold ETaC Complete no-inns replacement plugin, and I'm trying out MJB's new textures, so the patch is the new textures + SMIM + NSutR variant. Those two things being different might explain why you don't see it and I do.I forgot to get the FormID while I was in, so I'll do that tomorrow and figure it out - now that you've clued me into it likely being a duplicate set of the same wooden walkway object in the same position.

I really appreciate you checking into it, though, and promise to post back when I find out what it was - or if all the most recent updates resolved it for me.

Weird. Could it be just in the special no-Winterhold ETaC Complete replacement? That's what I had loaded when I went and looked. I did use an old savegame, so perhaps I should have tried the pcb console command before going outside.

Errr, the formID of the barrel you mentioned is actually in Dawnstar...I've also loaded up v10 of ETaC + the NSutR+SMIM patch with Jenna's textures ingame with the rest of the mods in REGS, and this is what I get at the place: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0f7sk9sslp0hqu/2014-05-06_00006.jpgNo duplicate walkways to be found, either...

Have you installed Raven Rock Expanded? This looks like you just installed the replacer but without the base mod, which would explain why all the custom textures added by it are missing...

Um.. yes.. now that you mention it.. Sorry.. (Oengul quote)

This is what happens when you are playing and troubleshooting very late at night without any sleep from the night before! Thanks again CJ. Jeez..

EDIT: How do you guys feel about the Ysgramor statue from DoWindhlem? I personally feel that while it's awesome on its own, I think it takes a lot of the magic away from that impressive entrance by BCE. I'm very tempted to just markfordelete it. It sort of makes it very repetitive to have two Ysgramor statues in Windhelm and one in Whiterun, doesn't it?

Edited by phryxolydian

Hi CJ,

Changing a little bit the route of above interesting discussion...

2 things:

1. I convinced myself to install my first 2 Steam mods listed in REGS: Faction: Pit Fighter & Faction: Pit Fighter Travels Add-on. While checking the first one for errors, TES5Edit "screamed" about this one:

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [81] quest_pitfighter.esp[00:00]               Parameter #1 -> Found a NULL reference, expected: QUST[00:00]             Above errors were found in :CTDA - [00:00]           Above errors were found in :Condition[00:00]         Above errors were found in :Conditions[00:00]       Above errors were found in :[INFO:81012026] ('Please remember, my life is in danger while he lives.' in GRUP Topic Children of tos_ArenaBaseDialogueRedQuest05 "I can't help right now." [DIAL:81012025])[00:00]     Above errors were found in :GRUP Topic Children of tos_ArenaBaseDialogueRedQuest05 "I can't help right now." [DIAL:81012025][00:00]   Above errors were found in :GRUP Top "DIAL"[00:01] Above errors were found in :[81] quest_pitfighter.esp[00:01] All Done!

It looks to me as if it is a repetitive condition (TBH do not know much abt CTDA Conditions) to the first one which is identical. Your opinion?

2. While I was at Pit Fighter's web page at Steam, reading through the comments/discussion I run across a reference about this mod in Nexus: Dwemer Colosseum

Have you ever tried it? I saw that it has 23 ITM and 3 UDR + some unresolved errors; so, it may need some cleaning, but it looks like a very interesting one although sort of abandoned by author.

Edited by Astakos

Does anything involved with REGS make the large ships bob side to side?I know it isn't Realistic Boat Bobbing....but somehow the large ships in Solitude Harbor...and the Dainty Sload are all bobbing side to side and clipping something terrible.I just finished the set-up too.... T_TEDIT: Scratch That....It was Animated Clutter. I had clicked install all instead of custom selection.

Edited by TheLoreSeeker