Help me choose an ENB?

jakeslim

Hello Ladies & Gents.

Would appreciate some input to help me choose the ENB for me! And who know, maybe this thread may be useful for someone with tastes similar to mine one day...

So far I have tried Unreal Cinema and RealVision (performance*)

To put things as simply as possible, I like both, however I find the Unreal colours too muted and the Realvision colours too saturated.

Could someone save me some time and recommend me something which hits the middle ground between these two in terms of colour vibrancy?

The suggestions also need to be:

• not too performance intensive (I have an HD 7870 2GB)
  • compatible with COT and ELFX

I thank you in advance!

* performance has too many features turned off for my liking so I tweaked it to be something in between the full and performance versions

EDIT: also another thought: any quick tips to tweak either UC/RV colours?

EDIT2: To be more precise, about UC, it's mostly the muted sky which I don't like - I want to see the clouds with a nice contrast against the sky.

OK thanks, I've had a look at Skylight, and it looks great.

Only thing is I'm a little confused as to all the optionals. For example I've got the impression that I have to install a different version of SFO?

And, no DoF - while I understand the author's reasons for not including, I'm going to have to find out how to install DoF options - I imagine it's just dropping an fx and ini file into the Skyrim directory? And where would I find such files? And is there any info around on differences between different DoF types?

I'm not averse to trying things which are more complex (I installed FCOM way back after all!!!), but I am always of the opinion that simpler is better. In any case, if someone can give some advice on the above then I'll give it a go.

I also understand that the author is a regular on the STEP forums - just want to say, Skylight looks great!

PS: yes, I meant 2GB!! I'll fix that now so that I don't have tons of corrections.

OK thanks, I've had a look at Skylight, and it looks great.

Only thing is I'm a little confused as to all the optionals. For example I've got the impression that I have to install a different version of SFO?

And, no DoF - while I understand the author's reasons for not including, I'm going to have to find out how to install DoF options - I imagine it's just dropping an fx and ini file into the Skyrim directory? And where would I find such files? And is there any info around on differences between different DoF types?

You can get DoF from Dynavision: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12525/

I'm not averse to trying things which are more complex (I installed FCOM way back after all!!!)

I've never considered FCOM complex in terms of installation. :P I've installed gentoo for few times before I saw FCOM.

, but I am always of the opinion that simpler is better. In any case, if someone can give some advice on the above then I'll give it a go.

I also understand that the author is a regular on the STEP forums - just want to say, Skylight looks great!

PS: yes, I meant 2GB!! I'll fix that now so that I don't have tons of corrections.

Just to be rude I just uploaded the latest version of Skylight!.... now at v.20a

Now also with my own dragonborn weather patch.... for those that want Solstheim to be the sun abandoned bleak land that I think it should be.

I must warn you... due to many recent changes and effects added to ENB the screenshots are no longer accurate!

However in terms of color it is somewhere between realvision and unreal I would say... depending on weather.

I will be making new screenshots, and a new fancy help guide in the coming week.

Ha! Ok, I downloaded and installed whichever version was available yesterday just after my previous post - I may have got there in time...

Anyway, I ran it for a few hours yesterday, and i must say I do like it. It does seem to be somewhere between RV and UC, however closer to RV for sure. I tweaked the saturation levels down a little and like the results after doing so. I think I will keep using it for a good while at least.

Only thing was that I had to reinstall CoT & weather patch as I had darker nights optional level 3 and it was almost pitch black! But that is clearly marked on the nexus page.

So here's a question: I'm using Dynavision for DoF as suggested above. Do the DoF parameters in the enbseries.ini affect it at all? Based on some (I admit limited) testing it doesn't seem to, but can someine confirm/deny?

And one more: is the DB weather patch necessary with CoT? Based on instructions on nexus it seems like it's only necessary with vanilla weathers?

Thanks

I've never considered FCOM complex in terms of installation. :P I've installed gentoo for few times before I saw FCOM.

:? fair enough! At the time I installed it I nearly lost my mind. Then again, it was pretty ambitious. The game was improved 1000x, however I had so many stability issues that I just gave up. Anyway, I've gone OT...

Dynavision uses the ingame version of depth blur, and hence is only controllable from the CK and the scripts it rely on.

Darker nights are not required at all... they are just a waste of mod list space imo, since ENB is entirely capable of making nights as dark or bright as you want.

The DB weather patch is my take on how Solstheim should be. You can use the CoT module instead if you want, however the ash storms in that I have not touched at all, and wont, since they are imo so hasty made that they would require some love in the CK. Also I in general do not agree with the way the regions are made... essentially just disable vanilla weathers, and throw all CoT weathers on top.

The one you talk about was the old version before I updated yesterday! Where I just made all the vanilla weathers compatible with Skylight.

In this week I will go over the dawnguard content as well... Just need to sort out the details, and spoil the game entirely for myself! :)

Im not sure, but doesnt the WeatherPatch use skyrims own DoF settings?

And wouldnt Dynavision disable this and overwrite them with the mods own dynamic depth of field method?

Or was that RCRN, have done to much testing lately to keep track of all the features.

Dynavision works by using imagespace modifiers and scripts to use the already existing depth blur in skyrim to create the DoF as I recall. The main difference between this method and the one used by ENB DoF´s is that one requires scripts the other does not.

Also ENB DoF´s tend to eat up a bit more performance since they are more advanced and not really super optimized by the authors.

Yeah, i know the difference between Dynavision and ENb DoF;)

Was talking about a DoF/Blur effect certain snowy/rainy/cloudy weather have in either RCRN or the WeatherPatch not working when Dynavision is at Static or Dynamic since they both use the same imagespace for that particular region. Usually from what i have seen Dynavision overwrites the blur from the weatherpatch.

And to use an ENB with CoT you more or less bound to use the WeatherPatch, otherwise some IDs might be looking very arkward.

Ah okay then I misunderstood! My bad.

And yes certain weathers in the weather patch have some distance blur enabled since I personally do not use a DoF, and I do like the far distance to be blurred most of the time. And if people do not like it then it is as simple as setting it up on ENB to remove it. It has been a while since I tested out dynavision last, but it would make sense that it would do what you describe.

Aiyen, the description of your new release is unclear to me, where you say "Includes a new weather system an as a result overhaul of all weathers" - does this mean not compatible with CoT? Or really compatible only if I switch off Skylight's weather systems?

Also, what would you recommend as the best method for tweaking brightness of sunsets/nights? I would like to make them a TINY bit brighter - I really like the darker nights, but I want to strike a balance between realism and playability. Is the night time ambient lighting the best parameter to play with for this? I see that you have optionals on your mod page, but these are for old versions, and as I've already tweaked the enbseries.ini for Skylight version I don't want to replace it!

I see that the guide you put up (looks and reads great btw!) will eventually include info for tweaking, but if you could give me your advice for this one issue that would be appreciated!

Yeah I am not good at the proper descriptions I know! The change log more or less just gets thrown up with what I think of first and then I do not really read it, since nobody says it is unclear! :)

But what I mean is that since I implemented a weather system then CoT clear weathers will look very much different then CoT overcast ones.

CoT is now the only supported weather mod.. since vanilla will just look dark due to some code changes I made.

You can switch off the weather system and then everything will look like it did in v.1.9 I did not alter the default enbseries.ini at all, and I do not plan to either unless it cant be avoided. You can think of the enbseries.ini as the middle ground that makes all weathers look sort of decent. Where the weather system allows for specific edits that will make each class of weather look more epic then otherwise possible.

Specifically then I have made dawns and dusk for most weathers brighter since I increased the amount of bloom. However for stormy and overcast they are darker...

In general then stormy and overcast weathers where there is no sun are darker all around. And clear and cloudy are a bit brighter.

Also my aim is to hit that spot between realism and playability. Hence why I am working on making a proper guide on how tweak the brightness/darkness values without ruining something else.

If your issue is just with dawn and dusk, then just increase the bloom amount there a little bit and it will become brighter without really ruining much.

If you need more specific help just throw me a pm with what weather and I will take a look.

Aiyen, thanks for your detailed reply. RL very busy for me at the moment but when I get a chance I will download latest version to test and tweak. The info you give and your guide will help. Excited to see it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk