Fantasy Soundtrack Project

Nearox

For anyone that wishes to add new music to STEP, this is the continuation of Fantasy Music Overhaul. 

Fantasy Soundtrack Project 

Description:

Fantasy Soundtrack Project provides 480 minutes (8+ hours) of new music for TESV: Skyirm. 150+ orchestral and instrumental fantasy/epic music tracks for exploring, towns, taverns and castles (combat music is optional and provides 20+ extra songs) ---> combat music will be uploaded soon.

This is a complete rework of the Fantasy Music Overhaul and only works as full replacer for the original skyrim soundtrack. This music mod is not compatible with other music mods and overhauls. There is also a NON-REPLACER patch available now, download the main file and overwrite the ESP from the main file with the ESP from the non-replacer patch.

Sticky @ comment section:

And before asking: This mod is fully compatbile with audio mods like: Skyrim Audio Overhaul and Sounds of Skyrim!

Interesting. I use JDR Soundtrack Compilation. It adds 8 new tracks, that were composed specifically for Skyrim. They all fit extremely well into the game, feel like part of it straight away. There is even a Oblivion theme variation :)

The problem with large music compilations like FSP is that not all of the tracks may fit the game and bad music choice for the given scene can kill immersion. I would have to sit and listen to all those tunes first outside of the game, then actually play with them for some time. Taking the amount of new tracks I'm pretty sure there will be a few that don't fit. JDR's adds only 8 tracks, but they all fit perfectly fine and in conjunction with original Skyrim music they don't get boring.

Yeah I've used JDR as well (you mentioend this sometime ago too :P). 

But FSR has many tracks which are basically a remixes of vanilla tracks. The default music you hear when entering riverwood for example. I've heard at least 3 variants of that song. This is nice at is not only new tracks but it gives some mroe diversity of vanilla tracks as well. 

Yeah that's a good point rootsrat.

My favorite music overhaul was popular on the nexus on the 2010/2011 days, and then I think the author took it off. Want to say it was something like skryim music overhaul. To bad too, it was a great mod. Maybe they ran into copy right issues.

The demo track on the mod page is really rather good. I am very picky about my music, and a slipshod orchestral piece is much worse than vanilla music. The tracks on there though where really appropriate, and while different and experimental (some of them), technically well done. If I have some time I will have to try the nonreplacer version, and give each track a specific listen through.

I have tried this mod out for about 3-4 hours of actual gameplay, ranging from outside, to inns, to a barrow and on up to High Hrothgar.  I have found a few of the songs to be very good, but most of them just don't quite fit the setting for me.  They are a little bit too "busy," the kind of music that almost demands attention rather than subtly melding in with the background.  I can certainly understand why some people would like this mod, I definitely like some of the songs.  But there were a couple where I was thinking, "OK, that is just annoying and really doesn't fit in."  But, hey that's just my opinion.

On the other hand, I find it completely incomprehensible as to how anyone couldn't love Jeremy Soule's music...I mean that guy is a musical genius.  That said, the same old songs get tired after awhile, no matter how good they are so I am going to check out this JDR compilation that rootsrat mentioned.

I have tried this mod out for about 3-4 hours of actual gameplay, ranging from outside, to inns, to a barrow and on up to High Hrothgar.  I have found a few of the songs to be very good, but most of them just don't quite fit the setting for me.  They are a little bit too "busy," the kind of music that almost demands attention rather than subtly melding in with the background.  I can certainly understand why some people would like this mod, I definitely like some of the songs.  But there were a couple where I was thinking, "OK, that is just annoying and really doesn't fit in."  But, hey that's just my opinion.

On the other hand, I find it completely incomprehensible as to how anyone couldn't love Jeremy Soule's music...I mean that guy is a musical genius.  That said, the same old songs get tired after awhile, no matter how good they are so I am going to check out this JDR compilation that rootsrat mentioned.

Good feedback, thanks. With massive compilations like this one you're almost guaranteed to get at least a few tracks that won't fit.

If you're going to try JDR, make sure you'll get Dawnguard patch I made for it (it's available on the mod page) - if you have it. Otherwise some DG tracks will be replaced by JDR's.

Rootsrat, thanks for the JDR link, I completely agree with what you have said about it. It fits almost perfectly with the rest of the music and the overall feel of Skyrim in general. It isn't overly done and it adds just enough to bring some freshness and variety. Great mod!