Hold Border Banners by Thicketford

rootsrat

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/43493

One of those little things that add to immersion! 

his mod adds banners along roadsides at the boundaries of two holds. The banner you see will show you which hold you are entering. If you're not sure what the banner represents, just walk up to it and it will show the name of the hold.

Untested, as I've only just found it on Nexus...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked at it yet, but I like the idea. I'll have to see if it conflicts with Lanterns of Skyrim. That's the only mod I can think of off the top of my head they could have conflict on placement.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I assume it must have an ESP plugin to physically place the signs in the world.

Yea. Stupid question. My fault. I won't be able to test this out until next week but if it doesn't cause any problems and it's LORE friendly, then I don't see any reason not to include it in the guide.

Again, I can't see how it's not lore friendly, unless it changed the hold banners, which it apparently doesn't :)

I haven't looked at it yet, but I like the idea. I'll have to see if it conflicts with Lanterns of Skyrim. That's the only mod I can think of off the top of my head they could have conflict on placement.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The author states it doesn't conflict with LoS, see comments section.

I think I will definitely check it out this weekend.

Possibly, but on the other hand jarls may have designated people that do the maintenance. They may not be in game physically, but that's the case for so many other things that it won't bother me. I'd just assume there are people that go and check on them every now and then :)

Ancient boundary markers were always made of stone - the maintenance of permanent banners on every road, constantly exposed to the elements, made of primitive materials and dyes, would not have been very practical.

I agree that they would be appropriate in some places - you could imagine the imperials being fond of them in key positions to make a point.

But I find that this system looks too uniform in position and design - it is as if there is a mutually agreed set of design standards across all holds, maintained consistently on all roads as cloth banners. For me, that doesn't seem very likely.

What if because of the Civil War, the Imperials ordered banners to be made as cheaply and quickly as possible and to be put up all around Skyrim to "remind" the StormCloaks of who currently rules the Country? :-P. What if they didn't have enough time or resources to make stone/metal ones and log them all over the country?

Well, anything's possible, but certainly in the ancient world textiles and dyes would have been more valuable and difficult to produce than a bit of wood or stone carving.

It's not a cut and dried argument, I just personally find it a bit unnatural and unlikely.

So we assume Skyrim is still in ancient times? Dyes and cloth don't seem to be hard to come by these days. As long as they don't have polluting petrol, guns and computers, they must be ancient right? Most people can read and write. There also seems to be some form of law enforcement, as well as money being the main currency. They came a long way if you ask me. Builders and stone workers, I haven't seen any of those around in Skyrim yet. I find the banners OK. Although, simple wooden signposts would suffice better. I'm liking the mod, thanks for pointing it out. It will be in my load order from now on.

So we assume Skyrim is still in ancient times?

No, not necessarily - I was just responding to Phosphor's reference to the Romans.  I don't think insisting on holding a fantasy planet to a fixed period of Earth history would make too much sense.

Having said that, every single structure in Skyrim appears to be built of some combination of wood and stone.  There are lumber mills all over the place, and all other road signs are made of wood.  All I'm saying is that I find it fairly implausible that any society, including the present day, would use cloth as the medium for a system of permanent markers on a road system, and I find it a bit jarring.  If there was some type of manned checkpoint, or a town that fell right on the border, banners there would make sense to me.

As I said though, it's not a cut and dried argument, just how I see it.  If others like them, that's great!