Sometimes Pick Up Books // RTR - Real Time Reading

rootsrat

Sometimes Pick Up Books - https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32592/?

When modifier (configurable, L-Shift by default) is pressed, the player character will pick up a book without reading it.

Such a winner! It always bugged me big time how my character just took a break in the middle of a dangerous quest in some ancient tomb full of horrifying draurgs to read "Lusty Argonian Maid"...  ;)

Alternative to the above:

RTR - Real Time Reading - https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17559/?

This "simple" mod adds real-time animations when you begin to read a book. Those animations are only triggered when you read a book that's not in your inventory.

While reading, you will get a notification telling you how much time has passed while you ere reading (a random value from 2 to 4 hours). You'll be prompted to choose to pick-up, read or cancel whenever you activate a book.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to second "Sometimes Read Books" for S.T.E.P. Core, and note that while RTR looks novel (pun intended), without configuration options it's a little too forceful for me for Core --- what if I just want to read the first page? We do all that the time in real life. Or what if you want to read a book provided as an in-game reference for a mod? Or what if you're just reading a reference book about Alchemy? Overall, I'd say RTR as it stands now is best if you're already going for maximum "realistic" immersion and don't mind its limitations.

But especially if you're playing close to vanilla, it's really annoying for planning your character if you pick up a book to put it in your inventory and suddenly gain a skill point, so I think "Sometimes Read Books" is at least Core-worthy.

Outstanding find rootsrat, I had been looking for exactly this!

I'm referring to Real Time Reading here, I just updated Book Covers Skyrim & its Compatibility Patches, and I put Improved Skill Books into my load order after seeing it as a compatibility patch for BCS. ILS sends skill books directly to your inventory without reading (allowing you to read from inventory & control when you obtain the skill bonus) and according to the description RTR should que reading animation when I pick up non-skill books.

Edited by redirishlord

Been using Sometimes for several weeks now, myself, and I think I prefer it's simplicity to the supposed added immersion of the other... these books are not exactly Barnes and Nobles bestsellers here, and a couple of hours to read through a dozen or so pages is way to excessive. Without some kind of way to configure that, it's a no-fly on my end. I do like the idea of having at least SOMETHING like this in STEP... as mentioned, the notion that, in the middle of a dungeon filled with draugr/vampires/bandits/evil nasty wildlife, I would stop, kick back and read a book just didn't fly with me...

Plus, it just plain takes so LONG to pick up a bunch of them when you have to wait for the book open/close animations for each. And. Every. One. Of. Them.

Been using Sometimes for several weeks now, myself, and I think I prefer it's simplicity to the supposed added immersion of the other... these books are not exactly Barnes and Nobles bestsellers here, and a couple of hours to read through a dozen or so pages is way to excessive. Without some kind of way to configure that, it's a no-fly on my end. I do like the idea of having at least SOMETHING like this in STEP... as mentioned, the notion that, in the middle of a dungeon filled with draugr/vampires/bandits/evil nasty wildlife, I would stop, kick back and read a book just didn't fly with me...

Plus, it just plain takes so LONG to pick up a bunch of them when you have to wait for the book open/close animations for each. And. Every. One. Of. Them.

I couldn't agree more.  

I myself use Sometimes Pick-Up Books; it's a mod that I consider essential to the game.  The vanilla system of picking up books is incredibly annoying.  Especially when I'm role-playing a character that likes to read, and books that I pick up get marked as already having been read just because it was opened when I picked it up!  That's so frustrating!  The Sometimes Pick-Up Books mod is a godsend!  

Real Time Reading seems like a great concept, but seeing as most of the books in the game take only a few minutes to read, it's unrealistic that a few hours of in-game time would pass per book.  Having a customizable MCM menu where we could adjust the time would be great.  That, or bringing the time down to something more reasonable; say 20-30 in-game minutes or so.  This would work very well alongside something like SkyRealism - Time and Travel that changes how fast time passes in-game.