My Skyrim has no grass after Step Guide

Hi, I followed the guide step by step and I'm pretty sure I did everything as told (tried starting over twice, but same results), but my game has NO GRASS. I've noticed that on "19- Utilities" on "DynDOLOD 3 Alpha" it says:
"Modify INIs
 The guide disables grass LOD by default. Instructions for enabling grass LODGen are also provided and may be enabled at a later time as instructed by the guide if adequate performance headroom is available."

I was wondering if it was that step that made my grass go invisible, so after I finished the guide, I went back to DynDOLOD_SSE.ini and TexGen_SSE.ini and rolled back to what it was before the change, but unfortunately my grass is still invisible / nonexistent. I've been trying to get this modlist working for the last 3 days and this grass thing always end up making me break everything else while trying to fix it. Can somebody please help?

https://imgur.com/a/tYfp7hL <-

This is driving me insane. :/

1 hour ago, slidingotter said:

Ok, so apparently by disabling grass cache fixes my grass goes back to normal, but I'm not sure if DynDOLOD is working, LOD / distant glass look bad

Grass Cache Fixes should remain enabled with DynDOLOD. There's lots of things that could be going wrong here. We don't know which version of the game you are running, if you are using the Step Grass Cache, or if you are using gid/cgid cache files. Our guide is still outdated with the latest BGS release, and it will take us time to get it updated.

You can post in the DynDOLOD support forum for assistance with that.

I've just installed STEP guide too and had the exact same problem.

I found that moving the Grass Cache Fixes plugin as per the screenshot Grass Cache Fixes.png, or just disabling did bring it back but at a distance it was a bit jank. What I've done is leave the plugin above STEP Conflict Resolution and then ran all of Step 5 - LOD Generation again. This does seem to have resolved my issues. It does mean that every time I sort my load order in LOOT, I need to move or disable Grass Cache Fixes plugin / mod.

Sorry, I'm not an expert at mod lists: The ini file in the Step Grass mod, when do ini files get overwritten? I'm wondering if the Grass Cache Fix ini is overwriting the Step ini rather than the other way round?

Or am I going the total wrong direction here :D

1 hour ago, RustlersDeluxe said:

I've just installed STEP guide too and had the exact same problem.

I found that moving the Grass Cache Fixes plugin as per the screenshot Grass Cache Fixes.png, or just disabling did bring it back but at a distance it was a bit jank. What I've done is leave the plugin above STEP Conflict Resolution and then ran all of Step 5 - LOD Generation again. This does seem to have resolved my issues. It does mean that every time I sort my load order in LOOT, I need to move or disable Grass Cache Fixes plugin / mod.

Sorry, I'm not an expert at mod lists: The ini file in the Step Grass mod, when do ini files get overwritten? I'm wondering if the Grass Cache Fix ini is overwriting the Step ini rather than the other way round?

Or am I going the total wrong direction here :D

Grass cache fixes should be installed at relatively low priority under 03-Resources and enabled. The plugin should be sorted where LOOT places it.

Follow the guide exactly, and avoid second guessing where you think there are gaps. The INIs do not conflict.

We still don't know what version of the game you are running or if you made the edits to DynDOLOD_SSE.ini as instructed in the guide and if you are using the Step Grass Cache as instructed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I followed the guide step by step and I had the same problem. Texgen doesn't see the HD grass option and DynDoLod doesn't see the grass option at all. I just disabled Step Grass and installed Verdant and it works and looks fantastic.

8 hours ago, mikael_cz said:

Hi guys. I followed the guide step by step and I had the same problem. Texgen doesn't see the HD grass option and DynDoLod doesn't see the grass option at all. I just disabled Step Grass and installed Verdant and it works and looks fantastic.

This could be the reason for your mountain issues.

The Step grass is GID, not CGID.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 2:52 PM, RustlersDeluxe said:

Hi,

I'm running Skyrim 1.6.1170. I followed the guide exactly. I made changes as per the guide, following Complex Grass and Step ENB Light. DynDOLOD was run using Grass LOD.

Have just finished the guide and have the same issue. Will try to find out why.

Facing the same issue after completing the guide. 

Skyrim AE version 1170 - using the complex grass HD settings for TexGen and Dyndolod

Things I have checked and verified - Tex Gen is generating the txt and dds files for the grass billboards.No errors reported in the texgen logs

Dyndolod generation is also successful - no errors related to grass in the logs.Verified all the grass related esps are loaded.

These are my grass settings in Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini. I also modified the STEP Patch Conflict Resolution.ini to the same value for fGrassFadeRange

1. Skyrim.ini
  2. [Grass]
  3. fGrassWindMagnitudeMax=125
  4. fGrassWindMagnitudeMin=5
  5. iGrassCellRadius=2
  6. iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
  7. iMinGrassSize=60
  8. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (new change)

9. SkyrimPrefs.ini
  10. [Grass]
  11. fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=6144.0000
  12. fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
  13. fGrassStartFadeDistance=6144.0000
  14. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (new change)

15. STEP PATCH - Conflict Resolution.ini
  16. [Grass]
  17. bAllowCreateGrass=0
  18. ;Toggles the ability for the game to generate the grass mesh positions in the game upon cell load. This should be disabled if using the grass cache bAllowLoadGrass mechanism.
  20. bAllowLoadGrass=1
  21. ;Toggles loading grass data files (grass/*.gid files) to display grass.
  23. bEnableGrassFade=0
  24. ;Toggles the fade-in effect of grass when new grass comes into view. This should be disabled if using grass LOD via DynDOLOD.
  26. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (CHANGED From Default)
  27. ;Sets the additional distance from fGrassStartFadeDistance that the grass will show.
Edited by vidalia

1 hour ago, Mercury71 said:

Have just finished the guide and have the same issue. Will try to find out why.

33 minutes ago, vidalia said:

Facing the same issue after completing the guide. 

Skyrim AE version 1170 - using the complex grass HD settings for TexGen and Dyndolod

Things I have checked and verified - Tex Gen is generating the txt and dds files for the grass billboards.No errors reported in the texgen logs

Dyndolod generation is also successful - no errors related to grass in the logs.Verified all the grass related esps are loaded.

These are my grass settings in Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini. I also modified the STEP Patch Conflict Resolution.ini to the same value for fGrassFadeRange

1. Skyrim.ini
  2. [Grass]
  3. fGrassWindMagnitudeMax=125
  4. fGrassWindMagnitudeMin=5
  5. iGrassCellRadius=2
  6. iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
  7. iMinGrassSize=60
  8. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (new change)

9. SkyrimPrefs.ini
  10. [Grass]
  11. fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=6144.0000
  12. fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
  13. fGrassStartFadeDistance=6144.0000
  14. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (new change)

15. STEP PATCH - Conflict Resolution.ini
  16. [Grass]
  17. bAllowCreateGrass=0
  18. ;Toggles the ability for the game to generate the grass mesh positions in the game upon cell load. This should be disabled if using the grass cache bAllowLoadGrass mechanism.
  20. bAllowLoadGrass=1
  21. ;Toggles loading grass data files (grass/*.gid files) to display grass.
  23. bEnableGrassFade=0
  24. ;Toggles the fade-in effect of grass when new grass comes into view. This should be disabled if using grass LOD via DynDOLOD.
  26. fGrassFadeRange=20272 (CHANGED From Default)
  27. ;Sets the additional distance from fGrassStartFadeDistance that the grass will show.

No grass period or no grass LOD?

No grass period. Switching the position of Grass Cache Fixes (from the bottom of the L.O to above Step Conflict Resolution) - as indicated by another poster - seems to "fix" the issue - which is strange because looking at the ini setting of both mods they do not seem to have a conflict - i am assuming this is an ini setting issue as doing the above gives me back both grass and grass LOD - so grass LOD generation is not the problem here?

Before and After Screenshots

1 hour ago, vidalia said:

No grass period. Switching the position of Grass Cache Fixes (from the bottom of the L.O to above Step Conflict Resolution) - as indicated by another poster - seems to "fix" the issue - which is strange because looking at the ini setting of both mods they do not seem to have a conflict - i am assuming this is an ini setting issue as doing the above gives me back both grass and grass LOD - so grass LOD generation is not the problem here?

Before and After Screenshots

First, I want to confirm you are referring to LO (plugin ssort order) rather than mod installation priority.

If the former, does LOOT sort Grass Cache Fixes.esp at higher priority than Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.esp?

Second, the GCF plugin does not conflict with the CR Patch plugin. Same goes for the INIs. It's the BSA priority that matters. The Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.bsa should override Grass Cache Fixes.bsa, so that's the problem if the GCF plugin is sorted at higher priority than the CR Patch plugin by LOOT (BSAs are loaded by the game according to their plugin priority).

The Step grass must override the GCF grass (both use GID).

@mikael_cz @RustlersDeluxe @slidingotter @Mercury71

If DynDOLOD was generated with the GCF plugin sorted at higher priority, then LOD will need to be regenerated after moving the plugin to one-lower priority than Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.esp. Otherwise, the grass LOD will be off.

I hate the term "priority" as regards load order, as it is confusing. Confirm that the right plugin panel has the order as:

• Grass Cache Fixes.esp
  • Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.esp

And NOT:

• Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.esp
  • Grass Cache Fixes.esp