Where is the provided grass cache?

First of all update your links. In "Skyrim Special Edition Grass LOD Guide"   link to Step SSE AE guide links to downgrading Skyrim post instead oof Step SSE AE guide. 

Second - Alternatively, use the Step SSE AE Guide, which includes a pregenerated grass cache for that mod list. this line is false. There is no grass cache included anywhere. I read the post three times, used search function with grass cache words. You are making it a hell lot of confusing for people. 

4 hours ago, CHEYYEN said:

First of all update your links. In "Skyrim Special Edition Grass LOD Guide"   link to Step SSE AE guide links to downgrading Skyrim post instead oof Step SSE AE guide. 

Second - Alternatively, use the Step SSE AE Guide, which includes a pregenerated grass cache for that mod list. this line is false. There is no grass cache included anywhere. I read the post three times, used search function with grass cache words. You are making it a hell lot of confusing for people. 

So just the link was wrong.

Fixed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, new user here having the same problem. Didn't want to start a new topic, but also wondering which part of the guide includes the grass cache, aside from the cathedral complex grass thingy, because that specifically says to only use with enb and I don't want enb. Or is that not possible?

I have been following it for about a week :(

The option to generate grass LOD in Dyndolod is still greyed out no matter what I do. It says there are no grass cache files, and that file I found earlier, which I thought was the cache 'step grass' is just an .ini file. There are supposed to be *.cgid grass files somewhere, but those are nowhere to be found?

edit: ok I found this

on the forum, telling me to edit the cgid=gid and Level32=1 in dyndolod ini. Still confused about how I was supposed to know this, as there is only one mention of this .ini in the guide and this isn't it... :confusion:

Edited by trillz0r

On 2/24/2024 at 3:41 PM, trillz0r said:

wondering which part of the guide includes the grass cache

Section 20-Patches, penultimate item: Step Patch - Conflict Resolution. Expanding it or following the Wiki link shows the following text (relevant bit highlighted in green):

The Step Conflict Resolution Patch is now delivered as separate files to fix MO's update tracking features. Going forward, this will allow each file to be flagged by MO if it has been updated.

First, download Step Patch - Conflict Resolution and any update file, if one exists. (required)

Then install the optional files that apply into separate mods just after Step Patch - Conflict Resolution as follows (the sequence doesn't matter):

• If grass LOD will be used, install Step Grass.
  • If CACO will be used, install Step Patch - CACO.
  • If CCOR will be used, install Step Patch - CCOR.
  • If TCIY will be used, install Step Patch - TCIY.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:05 PM, trillz0r said:

For future travellers, I found it. It's here: Step Skyrim Special Edition - SSE - Guide at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

Also the ENB's are here. I couldn't find those either.

2 hours ago, trillz0r said:

and that file I found earlier, which I thought was the cache 'step grass' is just an .ini file

You're not making any sense: Files are there but you can't find them? You found the file but it's not the right one - which file?

Please read carefully and follow these 3 simple steps:

1. Go to https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31054/?tab=files.
  2. Download the file named 'Step Grass'. It's listed on that page, at the very bottom of the page.
  3. Install 'Step Grass' as a separate mod and enable in MO2.

• +1 2

Thank you both for your patience. I know this must be very annoying to you. I was expecting some kind of folder with "*.cgid" files, according to dyndolod documentation. So Finding the .ini and .bsa file you are pointing out in your screenshot did not look like the right thing to me. Installing it did not make a difference in  dyndolod: the grass option was still greyed out, and it said no grass cache was found. So it still seemed like the wrong file to me.

What did help, was change cgid=gid and Level32=1 in the dyndolod ini.

I was just wondering if there was a seperate section on the dyndolod.ini that I was supposed to have followed, because these ini settings do not seem to be in the guide itself, and I promise I followed it very carefully. I only found this info on the forum.

16 minutes ago, trillz0r said:

I was just wondering if there was a seperate section on the dyndolod.ini that I was supposed to have followed

Section 19-Utilities, second item: DynDOLOD 3 Alpha. Expanding it or following the Wiki link shows the following text (relevant bit highlighted in green):

Navigate to C:/Modding/Tools/DynDOLOD/Edit Scripts/DynDOLOD/DynDOLOD_SSE.ini, and modify as follows by removing the semicolons at the start of each line where necessary:

Expert=1
Level32=1
GrassGID=gid

ComplexGrassBillboard=5        ; only necessary when using ENB
ComplexGrassBacklightMask=25   ; only necessary when using ENB
DoubleSidedTextureMask=mountain,mtn
DoubleSidedMeshMask=mountain,mtn

Keep in mind that our current recommendations predate some of the latest enhancements to the game (namely Grass Cache Fixes NG and DynDOLOD support for use of *.cgid rather than *.gid). Our deprecated instructions are necessary to properly utilize our current grass cache, and that will all be changing along with a lot of other deprecated (but not incorrect) instructions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for this!!!  Had the same issue.  The paragraph in the guide that immediately precedes this is: "The guide disables grass LOD by default. Instructions for enabling grass LODGen are also provided and may be enabled at a later time as instructed by the guide if adequate performance headroom is available."  I misinterpreted it to mean that a later step in the guide would bring me back to this part if I did have adequate headroom so I didn't read this section further.